The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun expiration:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun expiration
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Expiration
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Expiration
- Photos about Expiration
- Video language resources about Expiration
- Quotes about Expiration
- Scrabble value of E1X8P3I1R1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun expiration
What does expiration mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: expirations
- a coming to an end of a contract period
- euphemistic expressions for death
- the act of expelling air from the lungs
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of expiration: breathing out / exhalation
- more generic word: breath = the process of taking in and expelling air during breathing
- more specific words:
- part of: breathing / external respiration / respiration / ventilation = the bodily process of inhalation and exhalation
Alternative definition of the noun expiration
- The act of expiring
- The act or process of breathing out, or forcing air from the lungs through the nose or mouth; as, respiration consists of inspiration and expiration; -- opposed to inspiration.
- Emission of volatile matter; exhalation.
- The last emission of breath; death.
- A coming to a close; cessation; extinction; termination; end.
- That which is expired; matter breathed forth; that which is produced by breathing out, as a sound.
Specialised definition of the noun expiration
Glossary of sports
the act or process of breathing out (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- "Expiration" is an independent feature film written, directed and starring Gavin Heffernan. It was the winner of the Grand Jury Prize and Best Film at the Canadian Filmmakers' Festival.
- "Expiration" is a film.
- starring: Bruce Willis
- "Expiration" is a musical album of Akeum Son.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Expiration" is a composition.
- Expiration: In finance, the expiration date of an option contract is the last date on which the holder of the option may exercise it according to its terms. In the case of options with "automatic exercise" the net value of the option is credited to the long and debited to the short position holders.
- Expiration: Expelling modified air from the lungs; breathing out.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Expiration
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Diane Barrett
Expiration is an access control practice to expire passwords on a regular basis, protecting against brute-force password-guessing attacks, and to expire accounts not used after a certain period of time. Answer A is incorrect because ...
by Mazyar Kanani, Martin Elliott
There are none; due to the elastic properties of the lung and chest wall, expiration is a passive process. Note that the volume of air left in the lung during a quiet expiration is the functional residual capacity (FRC). 5. What about the expiratory ...
The Nervous System of the Human Body. Embracing the papers delivered to the Bengal Society on the subject of the nerves. (Appendix, containing cases and letters of consultation on nervous diseases, submitted to the author since the publication of his papers on the functions of the nerves, etc.) (1836)
by Sir Charles BELL
expiration is a state of rest. Third, The inspiration is...
Physics of the Human Body (2007)
by Irving P. Herman
The volume after normal expiration is the functional residual capacity (FRC). After a deep inspiration the lung volume is the total lung capacity (TLC), ∼6 L. This exceeds the volume after normal inspiration by the inspiratory reserve volume ...
by SK Jindal
The air inspired over and above the tidal volume with a maximal inspiratory effort is the inspiratory reserve volume, and the volume exhaled actively after passive expiration is the expiratory reserve volume; the air left in the lungs ...
by Manoj Luthra
Expiration is a passive phenomenon initiated by elastic recoil of the chest wall and upward movement of the diaphragm resulting in reversal of the pressure gradient and flow of air out of the lungs. In the graphical display of spontaneous ...
by Monica M. Tighe, Marg Brown
Expiration is a passive process III. Lung volumes A. Tidal volume: the volume of air exchanged during normal breathing B. Inspiratory reserve volume: the amount of air inspired over the tidal volume C. Expiratory reserve volume: the amount of ...
by Michael C. Thomsett
Swing trading is also one of the few strategies for which a quickly approaching expiration is an advantage. Because all or most of the time value is already gone from the option position, inthemoney price movement mirrors the stock and gives ...
by John R. August
Conversely, respiratory distress primarily during expiration is the hallmark of these disorders in cats. Adventitious sounds, including crackles, often are heard. Wheezes are only common in advanced disease or during acute worsening of signs.
Forex for Beginners (2013)
A Comprehensive Guide to Profiting from the Global Currency Markets by Adam Kritzer
On the other hand, the risk that monetary losses may be experienced prior to expiration is a risk that is intrinsic to forex futures contracts and must be taken into account. Futures are especially well suited to directional bets on exchange rates ...
Clinical Examination (2013)
A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis by Nicholas J Talley, Simon O’Connor
Expiration is a passive process resulting from elastic recoil of the muscles. Abnormalities of lung function or structure may change the normal anatomy and physiology of respiration, for example as a result of over-inflation of the lungs ( chronic ...
by CIBA Foundation Symposium
Similarly, under normal circumstances inspiration is an active, energy-requiring process, whereas expiration is a passive one because of the elastic recoil of the respiratory tree. Several unrelated proteins have evolved elasticity, including ...
Nursing Practice (2014)
Knowledge and Care by Ian Peate, Karen Wild, Muralitharan Nair
Expiration is a more CLINICAL APPLICATION As the thorax expands intrapulmonary pressure falls below atmospheric pressure Differences in partial pressure govern the movement of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the atmosphere, the ...
by Ken Albala
LeenaTrivediGrenierLeena TrivediGrenierTrivediGrenier, Leena Expiration Dates Expiration dates 421 423...
Pocket Medical Dictionary (1999)
by B. Jain Publishers Staff
By passage of air through a small cavity with flaccid walls that collapse with expiration. By passage of air through softening material in smaller bronchi. When bronchial tubes are surrounded by consolidated tissue. Large, musical, and tinkling.
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
spiration ; but, ceasing to be exerted, the elastic power gains efficiency and produces expiration. To the elastic, others add the muscular power of the bronchia, and altogether suppose the respiratory process to be more independent upon ...
Encyclopaedia Medica (1902)
by Chalmers Watson
Expiration under ordinary circumstances is a purely passive movement. The action of the inspiratory muscles having ceased, the distended lung partially collapses, and in doing so draws inwards the thoracic wall, which moreover tends to ...
by Greg N. Gregoriou
Expiration dates for exchangetraded contracts are not uniform, but are set by each individual exchange. The expiration Extrinsic Value • 173 date for stock options in the United States is usually the third Saturday after the third Friday of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Expiration
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Expiration
Click on an item to view that photo:
Natural clock: expiration time.
Photo credit: Daniel Avelino
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Expiration
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mega Man 9 - Wily's Expiration Explanation
SPOILERS! If you don't want the story spoiled, don't watch this! Of course, if you've watched all of the other Mega Man 9 videos thus far, you probably don't really ...
- Expiration Meaning
Video shows what expiration means. The act of expiring.. The act or process of breathing out, or forcing air from the lungs through the nose or mouth; as, ...
- Expiration Explanation
- Entrima - Terminology explained: Expiration (Energy Trading & Risk Management)
Visit us at...
- What Is The Definition Of Date, expiration - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Date, expiration - Medical Dictionary Free Online
View more videos about Expiration Date.
See also the pronunciation examples of Expiration!
Quotes about Expiration
Scrabble value of E1X8P3I1R1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine