On this page:
Definition of the noun expressive style
What does expressive style mean as a name of something?
- a way of expressing something (in language or art or music etc.) that is characteristic of a particular person or group of people or period
- domains: art / artistic creation / artistic production; language / linguistic communication; music
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonym of expressive style: style
- more generic word: communication = something that is communicated by or to or between people or groups
- more specific terms:
- allegory = an expressive style that uses fictional characters and events to describe some subject by suggestive resemblances
- analysis = the use of closed-class words instead of inflections: e.g., `the father of the bride' instead of `the bride's father'
- bathos = triteness or triviality of style
- black humour / black humor = the juxtaposition of morbid and farcical elements (in writing or drama) to give a disturbing effect
- device = something in an artistic work designed to achieve a particular effect
- smoothness / eloquence / fluency = powerful and effective language
- euphuism = any artificially elegant style of language
- flatness = a want of animation or brilliance
- formulation / expression = the style of expressing yourself
- grandiloquence / magniloquence / grandiosity / ornateness / rhetoric = high-flown style
- headlinese = using the abbreviated style of headline writers
- jargon = specialized technical terminology characteristic of a particular subject
- journalese = the style in which newspapers are written
- legalese = a style that uses the abstruse technical vocabulary of the law
- manner of speaking / delivery / speech = your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally
- musical genre / musical style / music genre / genre = an expressive style of music
- officialese = the style of writing characteristic of some government officials: formal and obscure
- pathos = a style that has the power to evoke feelings
- prose = matter of fact, commonplace, or dull expression
- rhetoric = using language effectively to please or persuade
- coarseness / saltiness = language or humor that is down-to-earth
- self-expression = the expression of one's individuality
- sesquipedality = using long words
- terseness = a neatly short and concise expressive style
- turn of expression / turn of phrase = a distinctive spoken or written expression
- vein = a distinctive style or manner
- verboseness / verbosity = an expressive style that uses excessive or empty words
- literary genre / writing style / genre = a style of expressing yourself in writing
- poetry = any communication resembling poetry in beauty or the evocation of feeling
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Expressive Style
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Music (1983)
by Theodore Karp
The contemporary style in Germany is known as the empfindsamer Stil, or expressive style. Exemplified in the works of Bach's sons, this is usually considered as the beginning of the Classical Era, or a "pre- Classical period." The Classical ...
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
In looking at gender differences and the acquisition of language, small research samples showed girls having a more referential style, and boys having a more expressive style. Referential language acquisition is described as single words, ...
A new Dictionary of Music (1835)
by Esq. W. WILSON
calm, soothing, rich, distinct, expressive style, uninterrupted by unnecessary skips, or particular transitions. Andante Largo, a solemn andante. a Andantino, a small andante, 21 AND.
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1846)
by Alexander Whitelaw
Hence the phrase is sometimes used for a laconic, expressive style. LAPIDOLITE . See Mica. LAPIS LAZULI. This superb mineral, which has been seen regularly crystalized only in a few instances, occurs massive, of a rich azure-blue colour ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Expressive Style
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Expressive Style
If you need images about Expressive Style for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Expressive Style to see it in context!