On this page:
- Definition of the noun extent
- Phrases with Extent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Extent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Extent
- Photos about Extent
- Video language resources about Extent
- Quotes about Extent
- Scrabble value of E1X8T1E1N1T1
- Share this page
Extent is sometimes a misspelling of existence.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun extent
What does extent mean as a name of something?
Extent is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: extents
- the point or degree to which something extends
- examples: the extent of the damage | the full extent of the law | to a certain extent she was right
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic words: degree / level / point / stage = a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process
- the distance or area or volume over which something extends
- examples: the vast extent of the desert | an orchard of considerable extent
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- more generic word: magnitude = the property of relative size or extent
- more specific terms:
- coverage = the extent to which something is covered
- frontage = the extent of land abutting on a street or water
- boundary / bound / limit = the greatest possible degree of something
- compass / ambit / orbit / range / reach / scope = an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
- surface area / expanse / area = the extent of a 2-dimensional surface enclosed within a boundary
- length = the property of being the extent of something from beginning to end
- deepness / depth = the extent downward or backward or inward
Alternative definition of the noun extent
- A range of values or locations.
- The space, area, volume, etc., to which something extends.
- [computing] A contiguous area of storage in a file system.
Extent: An extent is a contiguous area of storage in a computer file system, reserved for a file. When a process creates a file, file system management software allocates a whole extent. When writing to the file again, possibly after doing other write operations, the data continues where the previous write left off. This reduces or eliminates file fragmentation and possibly file scattering.
Phrases with Extent
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Extent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Carol J Buck
For example, the Procedure Performed identifier may state esophagogastroscopy (full extent is the stomach), but upon...
the duodenum was referenced, making the procedure an esophagogastroduodenoscopy (full extent is the duodenum).
by Reza Ghavamian
The cephalad boundary of the extended nodal dissection is the aortic bifurcation, and the distal extent is the node of Cloquet and the circumflex vessels coming off the external iliac artery. The lateral and medial borders are the genitofemoral ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
department of the Channel contains five districts, forty-eight cantons, and 669 communes; its territorial extent is 6890 kilometers ; its principal town is Coutances. 5. The province of the Isle of France is divided into the departments of the Aitne, ...
Winguth University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA The most direct evidence of the areal extent of former glaciers is the distribution of erratic boulders, till, or icecontact stratified ...
by David Shephard Garland, Lucius Polk McGehee, James Cockcroft, Charles Porterfield
ExTENT OF RIGHT. —Where an easement of light and air is created by express grant or contract, the extent of the right will of course ordinarily be determined by the terms of the grant. Where the Easement Is Derived from Use and Enjoyment ...
Africa, extent, boundaries , area, &c., of, 13, 101, 102 ; seas, gulfs, bays, Ace, of, ib. ; currents of the African ...
by Steven G. Rogelberg
The extent to which applicants perceive that the test or test process allows them the opportunity to express themselves prior to a selection decision 3. Reconsideration opportunity. The opportunity to challenge or modify the decisionmaking ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
_ The extent of oscillation of the surface of ...
A new Law Dictionary ... to which is added an outline of an action at law and of a suit in equity, etc (1846)
by Henry James HOLTHOUSE
EXTENT. A writ issued out of the Court of Exchequer to recover debts due directly or indirectly to the crown. It is either “in chief” or “in aid;” “immediate,” or founded on previous proceedings by scire facias or otherwise. It is “in chief” when issued ...
An Universal, Historical, Geographical, Chronological and Poetical Dictionary, Exactly Describing the Situation, Extent, Customs ... of All Kingdoms ... (1703)
Containing Likewise the Lives of the Patriarchs, Prophets, Apostles, and Primitive Fathers; Emperors, Kings, Princes ...
Large and Stately, Extent of Ground, it being some- besides several other of lesser Note, times near 5o Miles in É. of these 20 now remain, and five and the Capital of the Roman Em- |Bridges over the Tyler, one of pire. It is also at present, the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Extent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Extent
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pauljess999
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Extent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Extent of reaction: definition and application to systems consisting of one or more process units
Overview: This video explains the concept of extent of reaction, which finds widespread use in Chemical Engineering. The units of this quantity in closed as well ...
- Extent Meaning
Video shows what extent means. A range of values or locations.. The space, area, volume, etc., to which something extends.. A contiguous area of storage in a ...
- Determining the extent of an explanation
- The Definition and Extent of Spiritual Gifts
See also the pronunciation examples of Extent!
Quotes about Extent
I depend on my maid for household works
And to that extent I am handicapped.
With limbs weak, I need car to move about.
To that extent I’ve grown handicapped.
With amenities, my inability grows.
Am I fortunate with all my fortunes?
13.12.2008 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about extent...
Scrabble value of E1X8T1E1N1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Extent to see it in context!