The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun facility:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun facility
- Phrases with Facility
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Facility
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Facility
- Photos about Facility
- Video language resources about Facility
- Quotes about Facility
- Scrabble value of F4A1C3I1L1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
Facility is a member of the word family facilitate, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun facility
What does facility mean as a name of something?
Facility is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: facilities
- a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry
- example: the assembly plant is an enormous facility
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of facility: installation
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms:
- landing field / flying field / airfield / field = a place where planes take off and land
- botanical garden / arboretum = a facility where trees and shrubs are cultivated for exhibition
- athletic facility = a facility for athletic events
- backroom = the meeting place of a group of leaders who make their decisions via private negotiations
- cafeteria facility = facilities for providing food for employees or visitors
- communication equipment / communication system = facility consisting of the physical plants and equipment for disseminating information
- course = facility consisting of a circumscribed area of land or water laid out for a sport
- depositary / depository / repository / deposit = a facility where things can be deposited for storage or safekeeping
- drive-in = any installation designed to accommodate patrons in their automobiles
- meeting place / assembly / forum = a public facility to meet for open discussion
- gas system = facility (plant and equipment) for providing natural-gas service
- zoological garden / menagerie / zoo = the facility where wild animals are housed for exhibition
- military installation = any facility servicing military forces
- power system / power grid / grid = a system of high tension cables by which electrical power is distributed throughout a region
- range = a place for shooting (firing or driving) projectiles of various kinds
- recreational facility / recreation facility = a public facility for recreation
- sewage system / sewage works / sewer system = facility consisting of a system of sewers for carrying off liquid and solid sewage
- source = a facility where something is available
- station = a facility equipped with special equipment and personnel for a particular purpose
- transportation system / transportation / transit = a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
- utility = a facility composed of one or more pieces of equipment connected to or part of a structure and designed to provide a service such as heat or electricity or water or sewage disposal
- water supply / water system / water = a facility that provides a source of water
- skillful performance or ability without difficulty
- example: he was famous for his facility as an archer
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of facility: adeptness / adroitness / deftness / quickness
- more generic word: skillfulness = the state of being cognitively skillful
- more specific terms:
- a natural effortlessness
- something designed and created to serve a particular function and to afford a particular convenience or service
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: artefact / artifact = a man-made object taken as a whole
- more specific terms: public convenience / comfort station / public lavatory / toilet facility / public toilet / convenience / wash room / restroom = a toilet that is available to the public
- a service that an organization or a piece of equipment offers you
Alternative definition of the noun facility
- Ease in learning or in doing something; proficiency
- An installation, contrivance, or other thing which facilitates something; a place for doing something.
- The facility that this course is a part of.
- Facility: A facility used by this team for training purposes.
Phrases with Facility
- penal facility
- health facility
- toilet facility
- docking facility
- athletic facility
- research facility
- cafeteria facility
- healthcare facility
- recreation facility
- wind energy facility
- Correctional Facility
- recreational facility
- extended care facility
- Materials recovery facility
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Facility
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
New facility means any building, structure, facility. or installation that meets the definition of a “new source” or “new...
A Complete Guide To Planning, Designing and Building a Cloud Data Center by Caesar Wu, Rajkumar Buyya
The data center facility is the first layer of cloud computing. Sometime, it is also called Data Center as a Service. It can be considered the foundation of the cloud cost model. It consists of five basic components. We can formulate it as a “312” ...
by Clint Smith
An OC-12 facility is the equivalent of 4 OC-3s, 12 DS-3s or rather 336 DS-ls. The service relies on fiber-optic cable, which is better than copper wire in its performance and reliability. In addition, the use of fiber-optic cable enables the system ...
Second International Conference, HPCA 2009, Shanghai, China, August 10-12, 2009, Revised Selected Papers by Wu Zhang, Zhangxin Chen, Craig C. Douglas, Weiqin Tong
A facility is an object that has a location in Loc. We classify the facilities into two categories...
A facility is a transportation facility if its location depends on not only demand objects but also static facilities. It is used to connect static facilities with ...
Fighting Hurt (2016)
Rule and Exception in Torture and War by Henry Shue
The first question once again, as in the case of Able, is whether the Baker dual- use facility is a military objective that may permissibly be attacked. Plainly it is, because the gas-fired plant, ex hypothesi, makes an effective contribution to military ...
by ASQ Biomedical Division
Outpatient treatment facility means a distinct entity that operates for the primary purpose of providing nonsurgical therapeutic (medical, occupational, or physical) care on an outpatient basis or in a home health care setting. Outpatient treatment ...
Regional and Urban GIS (2010)
A Decision Support Approach by Timothy L. Nyerges, Piotr Jankowski
For example, a wastewater treatment facility is a community improvement project, but the process of siting such a project, as presented...
The wastewater treatment facility is an infrastructure project as part of a capital improvement program.
HEAT REMOVAL FROM THE ACCELERATOR AND TARGETS One aspect of accelerator operations which is sometimes overlooked in the planning of the facility is the cooling of the accelerator, power supplies and targetry. There must be a ...
by Jerald Silverman, Mark A. Suckow, Sreekant Murthy
A housing facility is any land, premise, shed, barn, building, trailer, or other structure housing or intended to house...
The author's working definition of an animal facility is an integrated concept that is inclusive of the many programmatic ...
Joint Committee on Taxation's General Explanation of Tax Legislation Enacted in the 109th Congress (2007)
Blue Book by United States. Congress. Joint Committee on Taxation
A qualifying advanced nuclear facility is an advanced nuclear facility for which the taxpayer has received an allocation of megawatt capacity from the Secretary and is placed in service before January 1, 2021. The taxpayer may only claim ...
A Case Study by Stuart Sabol
facility is a complex process between two inter-dependent parties forming a close long-term ...
Sports facility designers specialize in the planning, design, and construction of facilities used for sporting and other public events. They have two main responsibilities. The first is to design a building that will satisfy both the client and the fans.
by Norman K. Humphreys
been able to support by making finance available to members under the buffer stock financing facility (q.v.) established in 1969. As regards compensatory financing, the Fund's facility to offset shortfalls in export earnings was established as ...
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
FACILITY: A licensed, certified, or accredited facility that provides inpatient and outpatient services. Examples of facilities are hospitals, nursing facilities, and ambulatory surgical facilities. FACILITY CHARGE: Service fee submitted for payment ...
As Amended Through April 2010 by Barry Leonard
ammunition, and explosives AAEC aeromedical evacuation control team AAFES Army and Air Force Exchange Service AAFIF automated air facility information file AAFS amphibious assault fuel system AAFSF amphibious assault fuel supply ...
Encyclopedia of Algorithms (2008)
by Ming-Yang Kao
Research, Santa Clara, CA, USA Keywords and Synonyms Plant location; Warehouse location Problem Definition Facility location problems concern situations where a planner needs to determine the location of facilities intended to serve a ...
Techniques and Technology by John Fay
A firm cannot apply for its own facility ...
Network Dictionary (2007)
by Javvin Www Networkdictionary Com, Jielin Dong
FAA Telecom See Facility Accepted. FACCH Wireless See Fast Associated Control Channel. Faceplate Hardware Faceplate is the plate installed over a switch or receptacle. The plate also covers the wall opening and thus protects the wiring.
Advanced Technology Innovation Center Executive-Level Briefing and Demonstration Facility, Technology Assessment and Technology Insertion, Computer Training Facility, Joint Medical Testing Center—The ATIC provides a full range of ...
by Lyle J. Micheli, M.D.
The head strength coach is responsible for all exercises that are implemented to improve the strength and conditioning of the athletes and all other facets of the facility. Some of those facets include, but are not limited to, scheduling the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Facility
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Facility
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Fire-fighting facility
Fire fighting facility was provided by JLZIMMERMANN. Details...
Photo credit: osm_hydrant
- Assisted living facility
Photo credit: Thomas_H_photo
- Model in Vortex Facility
Model in Vortex Facility at Langley.
- Cycle "facility"
Photo credit: Rachel M Coleman
- Cement making facility near Union Point Park
This is a cement mixing facility that is right behind Union Point Park
Photo credit: darinmarshall
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Facility
Click on an item to play that video:
- Fukushima Nuclear Facility - Detailed Explanation
This video from Reuters explains why previous explosions took place at the Fukushima nuclear facility.
- Facility Meaning
Video shows what facility means. The fact of being easy, or easily done; absence of difficulty, simplicity.. Dexterity of speech or action; skill, talent.. The physical ...
- Space Shuttle Main Engine Processing Facility - Turbopump Explanation
- Materials recovery facility Meaning
Video shows what materials recovery facility means. A waste recycling plant. Often shortened to MRF. Materials recovery facility Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Correctional facility Meaning
Video shows what correctional facility means. A prison, reformatory, or similar institution in which people are confined for the purpose of punishment and/or ...
- New Facility Rate Explanation Oct 4 Lake Forest High School Bd Meeting
- Funk-e Uitleganimatie - Animated Explanation Video: Facility Camp by Basecamp Solutions
Funk-e Branding is a Rotterdam and Berlin based company that produces awesome animated explanation videos in 2D to help other businesses to explain their ...
- Explanation Of Dynamite Facility + A Small Explanation About Dynamite
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Park and ride facility construction work
- Visit to AOTS Language Training Facility of Nurses and Caregivers
Tokyo, Japan June 20, 2009 President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo visited the Filipinos training at the Association for Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS), the ...
- Christina Williams, Naval Supp Facility Dahlgren, performs "Love In Any Language"
- Active Study 2.How to improve your language facility
- A description of the Orchard Funding Facility
- Canvas Children's Camp Facility and Staff Description Mobile App
- Active study 4-How to improve your language facility
- Using Goto facility in Sheels Dictionary - By Sheelnidhi Gupta
This Video shows the process of using goto facility in Sheels Dictionary.
- JumpMaze MAP13 "Tech Facility" in 0:32 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
- JumpMaze MAP05 "Storage Facility" in 0:41 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
- Language Core Standards/ In home Facility
- JumpMaze MAP13 "Tech Facility" in 0:35 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
See also the pronunciation examples of Facility!
Quotes about Facility
Scrabble value of F4A1C3I1L1I1T1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Facility to see it in context!