The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun faculty:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun faculty
- Phrases with Faculty
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Faculty
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Faculty
- Photos about Faculty
- Video language resources about Faculty
- Sign language
- Quotes about Faculty
- Scrabble value of F4A1C3U1L1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun faculty
What does faculty mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: faculties
- one of the inherent cognitive or perceptual powers of the mind
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of faculty: mental faculty / module
- more generic words: ability / power = possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done
- more specific terms:
- attention = the faculty or power of mental concentration
- language / speech = the mental faculty or power of vocal communication
- retentiveness / retentivity / retention / memory = the power of retaining and recalling past experience
- understanding / intellect / reason = the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination
- sensory faculty / sensation / sentience / sentiency / sense = the faculty through which the external world is apprehended
- volition / will = the capability of conscious choice and decision and intention
- the body of teachers and administrators at a school
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of faculty: staff
- more generic word: body = a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity
- member of: school = an educational institution
- member: professor / prof = someone who is a member of the faculty at a college or university
Alternative definition of the noun faculty
- The scholarly staff at colleges or universities, as opposed to the students or support staff.
- A division of a university (e.g. a Faculty of Science or Faculty of Medicine).
- An ability, skill, or power.
"Faculty" a.k.a. "The Faculty" is a 1998 science fiction horror film written by Kevin Williamson and directed by Robert Rodriguez. The film stars Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, Shawn Hatosy, Jordana Brewster, Clea DuVall, Laura Harris, Robert Patrick, Bebe Neuwirth, Piper Laurie, Famke Janssen, Usher Raymond, Salma Hayek, and Jon Stewart.
- also known as Prova Final, Parasite, Untitled Kevin Williamson/Robert Rodriguez Project
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Elizabeth Avellán & Robert Rodriguez
- executive producers: Bob Weinstein & Harvey Weinstein
- production design by Cary White
- art direction by Ed Vega
- written by Kevin Williamson
- based on a story by David Wechter & Bruce Kimmel
- Jordana Brewster as Delilah Profitt
- Clea DuVall as Stokely 'Stokes' Mitchell
- Laura Harris as Marybeth Louise Hutchinson
- Josh Hartnett as Zeke Tyler
- Shawn Hatosy as Stan Rosado
- Salma Hayek as Nurse Rosa Harper
- Famke Janssen as Miss Elizabeth Burke
- Piper Laurie as Mrs. Karen Olson
- Christopher McDonald as Mr. Frank Connor
- Bebe Neuwirth as Principal Valerie Drake
- Robert Patrick as Coach Joe Willis
- Usher as Gabe Santora
- Jon Stewart as Prof. Edward Furlong
- Daniel von Bargen as Mr. John Tate
- Elijah Wood as Casey Connor
- Susan Willis as Mrs. Jessica Brummel
- Pete Janssen as Eddie 'Meat' McIvey
- Danny Masterson as F'%# Up #1
- casting by Anne McCarthy & Mary Vernieu
- cinematography by Enrique Chediak
- edited by Robert Rodriguez
- music by Marco Beltrami
- costume design by Michael T. Boyd
- set decoration by Jeanette Scott
- locations: Lockhart, Austin
- genres: Science Fiction, Horror, Mystery, Thriller, Teen film, Alien Film, Sci-Fi Horror
- Meet the Alien Generation.
- Six students are about to find out their teachers really are from another planet.
- You will not be disrespectful this school year!
- The students at Herrington high will not only question authority,.. they'll have to destroy it.
- Take me to your teacher.
- On December 25th, School's Out Forever.
- What if your teachers really were from another planet?
- The students at Herrington High always suspected their teachers were from another planet...they...
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (16 years ago)
- Teen Choice Award for Soundtrack of the Year
- Teen Choice Award for Film - Most Disgusting Scene (The student Marybeth Louise's monster takes to the pool.) nomination for Laura Harris
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout Star nomination for Clea DuVall
- ALMA Award for Outstanding Latino Director of a Feature Film nomination for Robert Rodriguez
- official website: www.miramax.com/movie/the-faculty
- Faculty is a fictional character from the 2005 film Coach Carter.
- Faculty is a fictional character from the 2009 film Formosa Betrayed.
- Faculty is a fictional character from the 2009 film Bring It On: Fight to the Finish.
- Faculty is a fictional film character.
There are other characters with in their name, like Faculty member.
Faculty is a record label.
- Faculty: A faculty is a division within a university comprising one subject area, or a number of related subject areas. In American usage such divisions are generally referred to as colleges or schools, but may also mix terminology.
- also known as คณะ (มหาวิทยาลัย), 學院
- Faculty: In North American English, faculty is the academic staff of a university: senior teachers, lecturers, and/or researchers. The term is most commonly used in this context in the United States and Canada, and generally includes professors of various rank: assistant professors, associate professors, and professors, usually tenured in terms of their contract of employment.
- Faculty: A faculty is a legal instrument or warrant in canon law, especially a judicial or quasi-judicial warrant from an ecclesiastical court or tribunal.
- Faculty: In a project, the teaching Faculty member of a team.
Phrases with Faculty
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Faculty
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Word (1910)
by Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
The dark faculty is a sleep producing power. The dark...
The use of the motive faculty is the cause of every result in any world, however remote. The use...
The Jewish Encyclopedia (1907)
A Descriptive Record of the History, Religion, Literature, and Customs of the Jewish People from the Earliest Times to the Present Day by Isidore Singer, Cyrus Adler
The sensitive faculty is that by which one perceives and feels: it does not perceive itself or its organs, but only external objects through the intervention of sight, hearing, smell, taste,
The imaginative faculty is the power to give quite different ...
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences ; Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
The nutritive faculty is that by which life is produced and preserved. The sensitive faculty is that by which we perceive and feel; ...
In which the Words are Deduced from Their Originals, and Illustrated in Their Different Significations, by Examples from the Best Writers, to which are Prefixed a History of the Language, and an English Grammar by Samuel Johnson
The filth mechanical faculty is the wedge used in cleaving wood...
Containing All the Modern Improvements, and Including So Much of Comparative Anatomy, Physiology, Materia Medica, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Natural History, &c. &c. as is Connected with the Subject ... by Thomas Boardman
The vital faculty is that by which life is preserved, and the ordinary funétions of the body performed; and the "animal faculty is what conducts the operations of the mind, as the imagination, memory, &c. F A L FAFCES, the animal excrements; but ...
by Alexander Clark, Chris Fox, Shalom Lappin
with developing explanatory accounts, which shed light on why the human language faculty is the way it is. As such, models of human language processing must ultimately seek to be connected with accounts of language evolution and ...
The Kant Dictionary (2014)
by Lucas Thorpe
faculty. of. desire. See: desire, faculty of. faculty. of. judgement. See: Critique of Judgment. feeling. Kant believes thatto bemoral we must act from duty, and many readers assume that acting from duty is incompatible with acting on feeling.
Pocket Encyclopedia (1811)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Polite Literature by Edward Augustus Kendall
Faculty of advocates, a term applied to the college or society of advocates in Scotland, who plead in all actions before the court of session. They meet in the beginning of every year, and choose the annual officers of the society, viz. dean, ...
by Wang, Victor C.X.
A New Model for Integrating Pedagogy and Technology into Higher Education Faculty Development James A. Bernauer RobertMorris University, USA Christopher T. Davis RobertMorris University, USA Lawrence A. Tomei RobertMorris ...
by Henry Kellerman
Founding faculty, Institute for the Psychoanalytic Study of Subjectivity (New York); clinical assistant professor, New York University Postdoctoral Program in Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis. Author of volumes on ...
by Lisa M. Given
Given, PhD, is the Director of the International Institute for Qualitative Methodology (Faculty of Nursing), an Associate Professor in the School of Library and Information Studies (Faculty of Education), and an Adjunct Associate Professor ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Faculty
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Faculty
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Faculty
Click on an item to play that video:
- Faculty Meaning
Video shows what faculty means. The scholarly staff at colleges or universities, as opposed to the students or support staff.. A division of a university (e.g. a ...
- Providence College Faculty Experts: The Meaning of Holy Week
Rev. James G. Sabak, O.F.M., Ph.D. is an assistant professor of theology at Providence College and offers a perspective on the meaning of Holy Week. For more ...
- How Words Form and Structure Create Meaning - The English Faculty
The English Faculty - University lectures for secondary schools Go to...
- Administration - Faculty Life - The Definition of Tenure
Administration of Adult and Higher Education" is a free online course on Janux that is open to anyone. Learn...
- Administration - Faculty Life - The Definition of Faculty Senate
- Administration - Faculty Life - The Definition of the American Associate for University Professors
- Sr. Susan : Explanation Of Flipped Faculty Meetings
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from Sherlock Holmes - Efficacy Prognosis Martial Faculty
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word of the Day! - Prognosis, Martial, Efficacy, Faculty With Sherlock Holmes, you are most likely to get multiple Words of the Day!
- Administration - Student Athletes - Definition of Faculty Athletics Representative
Administration of Adult and Higher Education" is a free online course on Janux that is open to anyone. Learn...
- Welcome to Medical Terminology!! Faculty Intro II
- Download Inner Sanctum Memory and Meaning in Princeton's Faculty Room at Nassau Hall pdf
- Mod-01 Lec-05 Language Faculty, Language in Human Mind
Principles and Parameters in Natural Language by Prof.Rajesh Kumar,Department of Humanities and Social Sciences,IIT Madras.
- Speech Language Pathology (MS) degree, Faculty Advice Video from drkit.org
All Speech-Language Videos -...
- The Forgotten Language - Shelton Johnson - 2013 NOLS Faculty Summit
Shelton Johnson dreamed of mountains as a boy, living in inner city Detroit. He had never been to a mountain range in the United States and his only ...
- FO CIPUTRA HOTEL SMG feat NIKIMUZIEKU Faculty of Language and Art UNIKA Soepra
Gado Gado Semarangan + Jaranan Indonesia independence day 70th 17 August 2015 at lobby area HCS director by: Agnes Indah S Gamelan Players: Miekho, ...
- Faculty Spotlight- Middlebury Language Schools
Lorenzo Borgotallo, a professor at Middlebury Language Schools, explains how the dedicated faculty,extra curricular activities, and a 24/7 immersion ...
- DCU Faculty of Humanities, Applied Language and Translation Studies
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology & Foreign Language Courses and Placements at Mody University
Mody University - The objective to provide outstanding engineering education directed at enriching the quality of life in an emerging knowledge-based society.
- ESL programs, Faculty of Extension - University of Alberta - Canada Aprial 17,2009 Fashion1
ESL programs, Faculty of Extension - University of Alberta - Canada Aprial 17,2009 Fashion1.
- Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Programs Webinar, Faculty of Medicine
First Annual Interactive Graduate School Webinar hosted by Graduate and Life Sciences Education.
- Students, Faculty & Community to VCC Board: Stand up for ESL!
On September 25, students, faculty, and community members spoke to Vancouver Community College's Board of Governors about the importance of ESL ...
- VCC Students & Faculty to Christy Clark: ESL Matters
On September 18, 2014, students and faculty took to the streets of downtown Vancouver to send a clear message to Christy Clark and Amrik Virk: ESL Matters to ...
- Bronx High School of Science Faculty Talent Show 2012 Foreign Language & Music Department
The Foreign Language Department and The Music Department of Bronx HS of Science at the Faculty Talent Show 2012.
- Orientation for New Adult ESL Faculty and Staff
Orientation for New Adult ESL Faculty and Staff.
- Niner Talent: How to Modify an EPA or Faculty Position Description
This video will explain how to modify an EPA or Faculty Position Description in Niner Talent.
- Sheri Stronach - Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences Faculty
- ESL programs, Faculty of Extension - University of Alberta - Canada Aprial 17,2009 Fashion2
ESL programs, Faculty of Extension - University of Alberta - Canada Aprial 17,2009 Fashion2.
- Faculty of Language & translation - Pharos University
- Language Learning in the Digital Age - Faculty Speaker Series
- Learn a language at the Virtual Faculty. The future of education
See also the pronunciation examples of Faculty!
Faculty Talent Show 2014-Sign Language
Quotes about Faculty
Productivity is going to be a critical issue. And it's not just about getting more time for professors in the classroom. It involves reexamining the learning experience and restructuring faculty and the use of faculty time. (Roy Romer)
more quotes about faculty...
Scrabble value of F4A1C3U1L1T1Y4
The value of this 7-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Faculty to see it in context!