Fad appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Pure nets? – a fad!… I did a fastener up.
- Was no den I distend a fad nets I dined on saw?
- Straw? No, too stupid a fad, I put soot on warts.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fad:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fad
What does fad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fads
- an interest followed with exaggerated zeal
FAD is a record label.
- Fad: A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed enthusiastically for a period of time, generally as a result of the behavior being perceived as popular by one's peers or being deemed "cool" by social media. A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone.
- also known as craze, meme
- Fad a.k.a. BRCA2 and BRCA2 are a human gene and its protein product, respectively. The official symbol and the official name are maintained by the HGNC. Orthologs, styled Brca2 and Brca2, are common in other mammal species. BRCA2 is a human tumor suppressor gene, found in all humans; its protein, also called by the synonym breast cancer type 2 susceptibility protein, is responsible for repairing DNA.
- also known as breast cancer 2, early onset; Fanconi anemia, complementation group D1; breast cancer susceptibility protein BRCA2; OTTHUMP00000042401; breast and ovarian cancer susceptibility gene, early onset; BRCA1/BRCA2-containing complex, subunit 2; breast cancer 2 tumor suppressor
- Fad a.k.a. PSEN1: Presenilin-1 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the PSEN1 gene. Presenilin 1 is one of the four core proteins in presenilin complex, which mediate the regulated proteolytic events of several proteins in the cell, including gamma secretase. Gamma-secretase is considered to play a very important role in generation of beta amyloid, accumulation of which is related to the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease, from the beta-amyloid precursor protein.
- also known as presenilin 1 (Alzheimer disease 3), presenilin 1
- fad is a gene.
- Fad a.k.a. Wagi Language: Wagi, also known as Kamba or Foran, is a Papuan language of Papua New Guinea.
- also known as Mis-kemba, Kamba, Foran, Furan
- Fad a.k.a. Fanconi anemia, complementation group D2 is a gene.
- also known as type 4 Fanconi pancytopenia, Fanconi anemia complementation group D2
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Dinesh Puri
FAD- dependent enzymes: FAD is a constituent of the Complex II of the respiratory chain. FAD is a ...
The FAD is a 60 item survey that addresses six identified family functioning dimensions: problem solving,
by Denise R. Ferrier
dehydrogenase (NAD+/FAD is an electron acceptor in a redox reaction) , oxidase (O2 is the acceptor, and oxygen atoms are not incorporated into substrate), ...
Western Advertising (1920)
The most notable example of the underproduction of what may well be called a fad is that of pearls.
The Atlantic Monthly (1920)
Unlike the hobby, the fad is a gregarious animal, running in packs. Its intelligence is that known as mob-mind. Growing girls love it best; and yet it is not scorned as horseflesh by the most staid. Even such solemn people as educators are great ...
A Critical Inquiry into Children and Television in China by Bin Zhao
Seen from a global perspective, the Transformers fad is a long-range ...
Encyclopedia of Obesity (2008)
by Kathleen Keller
a NuTRiTioN faD is a particular food or supplement which is rendered fashionable for the moment by general public acceptance and practice. A nutrition fad may be a style of cooking, a specific food, or inclusion, exclusion, or combination of ...
Biological Properties (2012)
by Walter Lovenberg
biosynthetic enzyme from Lactobacillus bulgaricus favors the hypothesis that FAD is the site of reaction with pyridine nucleotides (Taylor et al., 1971). However , as this enzyme also lacks iron, the argument is 9. IRON—SULFUR ...
Fashion Design (2012)
The Complete Guide by John Hopkins
A fad is a shortlived cycle; the standard cycle represents a fuller seasonal cycle and the classic cycle is more prolonged, within which a style endures beyond seasonal trends. Each cycle may be measured through a series of stages according ...
by K. L. Mittal, Ravi Jaiswal
FAD is the force resulting from all the forces acting to keep a particle adhered to the substrate surface. A filament from a wiper is moving with a velocity, u0, across the surface. FPush is the force from a wiper filament striking the particle.
A Treatise on Surveying (1828)
Containing the Theory and Practice: to which is Prefixed a Perspicuous System of Plane Trigonometry. The Whole Clearly Demonstrated and Illustrated by a Large Number of Appropriate Examples, Particularly Adapted to the Use of Schools by John Gummere
BAD and ACB; therefore FAD is the difference of the unknown angles ABC, ACB, and FCD, at the circumference is the half of that difference; but because of the parallels DC, FG, the angles GFC, FCD are equal; therefore GFC is equal to half ...
The World's most comprehensive list of English-language medical abbreviations and acronyms by Burt Vance
FAD = familial ...
by Paul M. Coates, M. Coates Paul, Marc Blackman, Marc R. Blackman, Gordon M. Cragg, Mark Levine, Jeffrey D. White, Joel Moss, Mark A. Levine
and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD). relationships of the various biologically active flavins have been comprehensively reviewed. One physical property of ...
From Alien Abductions to Zone Therapy by William F. Williams
Many fad diets are starvation or semistarvation diets, requiring 600 -800 calories per day or fewer. Fad diets usually stress one food or food type to the ...
by Stefan Offermanns
and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD). Synonym Riboflavin Definition Vitamin B2 or riboflavin is chemically defined as 7,8-dimemyl-10-(lY-D-ribityl)isoalloxazine. Figure 1 shows the oxidized ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fad
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hanging out at APhiO's Future Alumni Dinner @ Western Lodge
Photo credit: silver marquis
- Loch Fad
Photo credit: Reading Tom
- Lough Fad
Some photographs taken this morning at Lough Fad Clonmany.
Photo credit: leppre
- Lough Fad Reflections
Coming home from night shift and stopped to capture the reflections on Lough Fad Clonmany Co Donegal.
Photo credit: leppre
- Loch Fad
Photo credit: Alasdair Middleton
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fad
Click on an item to play that video:
- Fad Meaning
Video shows what fad means. A phenomenon that becomes popular for a very short time.. fad pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Best Apps for Fashion Week: FAD - iPhone Fashion Dictionary
FAD is the first comprehensive #FashionDictionary App available. Over 1400 entries give you explanations of anything fashion related from Labels and Retail ...
View more videos about The Fad.
See also the pronunciation examples of Fad!
Quotes about Fad
Scrabble value of F4A1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Fad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fad to see it in context!