Fade appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- We fade to melodies I recall; a cerise idol emoted a few.
- Did we fade in edits’ rift as at first I denied a few did?
- Drawn, I tied a few fixes onto gewgaws pups wag… we got no sex if we fade it inward.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fade
- Definition of the adjective fade
- Definition of the verb fade
- Phrases with Fade
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fade
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fade
- Usage statistics about fade
- Photos about Fade
- Video language resources about Fade
- Sign language
- Quotes about Fade
- Scrabble value of F4A1D2E1
- Anagrams of FADE
- Share this page
Fade is sometimes a misspelling of food.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fade
What does fade mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fades
- a golf shot that curves to the right for a right-handed golfer
- gradually ceasing to be visible
Alternative definition of the noun fade
- [golf] A golf shot that (for the right-handed player) curves intentionally to the right. See slice, hook, draw.
- A haircut where the hair is short or shaved on the sides of the head and longer on top. See also high-top fade and low fade.
Specialised definition of the noun fade
Glossary of sports / golf
a shot in which the ball curves slightly from left to right in the air (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a controlled shot on which the ball curves slightly from left to right at the end of its flight, when hit by a right-handed golfer
Definition of the adjective fade
What does fade mean as an attribute of a noun?
- [archaic] Weak; insipid; tasteless; commonplace.
Definition of the verb fade
What does fade mean as a doing word?
Fade is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: faded | fading | fades
- become less clearly visible or distinguishable; disappear gradually or seemingly
- example: The scene begins to fade
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Bill dried the clothes [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The clothes dried wrinkled [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Tony broke the piggy bank open with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Tony broke the glass to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Tony broke the glass to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Bill dried the clothes with a hairdryer [Instrument] [Verb] [Patient] The hairdryer dried the clothes [Patient] [Verb] The clothes dried | The roses bloomed [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] Piggy banks break open [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Piggy banks break open with a hammer [Patient] [Verb] [Adverb] Copper rods bend easily | Cotton clothes dry easily | Crystal vases break easily | Idaho potatoes bake beautifully [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] Glasses break to pieces [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Glasses break to pieces with a rock
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): abase, abate, abbreviate, abrade, abridge, accelerate, acetify, acidify, activate, advance, age, agglomerate, air, alkalify, alter, ameliorate, americanize, amplify, anesthetize, anglicize, animate, apostatize, atomize, attenuate, augment, awake, awaken, balance, beautify, bedew, bifurcate, bisect, blacken, blast, bleach, bloody, blunt, blur, bolshevize, botch, brighten, broaden, burn, burst, calcify, capacitate, capsize, caramelize, carbonize, castrate, categorize, catholicize, cauterize, change, char, cheapen, chill, chlorinate, christianize, circumcise, civilize, clean, clear, clog, close, clouded, coagulate, coarsen, collapse, collect, commercialize, compress, condense, constrict, constringe, construct, contract, cool, correct, corrode, corrugate, corrupt, cremate, crimson, crisp, crumble, crystallize, curdle, dampen, darken, de-escalate, deafen, decelerate, decentralize, decrease, deepen, deflate, defrost, degenerate, degrade, dehumidify, dehydrate, demagnetize, demobilize, democratize, depressurize, desalinate, desiccate, destabilize, deteriorate, detonate, devalue, diffract, diffuse, dilate, dilute, dim, diminish, dirty, disintegrate, dislocate, disorganize, disperse, dissipate, dissolve, diversify, divide, domesticate, double, drain, dry, dull, ease, effeminate, emaciate, emasculate, embitter, embrocate, empty, emulsify, energize, enhance, enlarge, equalize, equilibrate, eternalize, europeanize, evaporate, even, expand, explode, famish, fatten, federate, feminize, fertilize, fill, firm, flatten, flood, fossilize, fray, freeze, freshen, frost, fructify, fuse, gasify, gelatinize, gladden, granulate, gray, grow, halt, harden, harmonize, hasten, heal, heat, heighten, humidify, hush, hybridize, hydrogenate, ignite, improve, incinerate, increase, incubate, inflate, intensify, invert, iodize, ionize, kindle, laminate, lengthen, lessen, level, levitate, light, lighten, lignify, liquefy, loop, loose, loosen, macerate, magnetize, magnify, mature, mechanize, mellow, melt, mineralize, mobilize, moderate, modernize, modulate, moisten, motorize, muddy, multiply, mute, narrow, nasalize, nationalize, naturalize, neutralize, nitrify, normalize, objectify, obscure, open, operate, ossify, overturn, oxidize, pale, paralyze, pasteurize, perfect, petrify, polarize, polymerize, pop, popularize, proliferate, propagate, publicize, pulverize, purify, purple, putrefy, quadruple, quicken, quiet, quieten, rarefy, reanimate, redden, regularize, rekindle, reopen, reproduce, resuscitate, reverse, revive, ripen, roughen, rupture, saponify, scorch, sear, secularize, sharpen, short, short-circuit, shorten, shrink, shrivel, shush, shut, sicken, silence, silver, singe, sink, slack, slacken, slim, slow, smooth, soak, sober, soften, solidify, sour, sovietize, sprout, stabilize, standardize, steady, steep, steepen, sterilize, stiffen, stratify, strengthen, submerge, subside, sunburn, sweeten, tame, tan, taper, tauten, tense, thaw, thicken, thin, tighten, tilt, tire, topple, toughen, tousle, tranquilize, treble, triple, ulcerate, unionize, urbanize, vaporize, vary, ventilate, vibrate, vitrify, volatilize, vulcanize, wake, waken, warm, weaken, westernize, wet, whiten, widen, worsen, yellow.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of fade: melt
- more generic word: weaken = become weaker
- lose freshness, vigor, or vitality
- disappear gradually
- become feeble
Alternative definition of the verb fade
- [intransitive] To become fade; to grow weak; to lose strength; to decay; to perish gradually; to wither, as a plant.
- [intransitive] To lose freshness, color, or brightness; to become faint in hue or tint; hence, to be wanting in color.
- [intransitive] To sink away; to disappear gradually; to grow dim; to vanish.
- [transitive] To cause to fade.
Specialised definition of the verb fade
Glossary of sports
to lose strength (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / golf
to hit a ball so that, in a right-handed shot, it curves slightly from left to right, or be hit in this way (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
if a player fades the bail, he or she hits it in such a way that, as intended, it moves from left to right in the air (if right-handed) or from right to left (if left-handed). A more extreme form of such movement produced unintentionally is a slice (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
to hit a controlled shot on which the ball curves slightly from left to right at the end of its flight, when hit by a right-handed golfer
- Fade was a Japanese-American rock band formed in 1991. To date, Fade has released 5 mini-albums, 2 full-length studio albums, and 2 singles.
- genre: Rock music
- albums: "Kings of Dawn", "To Find A Better Tomorrow", "コズミカリズム", "A Moment of Truth", "Fade", "One Reason", "Under the Sun", "Age of Innocence", "天~TEN~", "Crossroad EP"
- official website: fadeonline.com
- Fade is a musical group, record producers.
- "Fade" is the thirteenth full-length album by Hoboken-based rock band Yo La Tengo. It was produced by John McEntire, instead of Roger Moutenot, who had produced all their albums since 1993's Painful. It was recorded at Soma in Chicago, in the summer of 2012. It was released on January 15, 2013.
- genre: Indie rock
- released on
- "Fade" is a musical album of Cloudkicker.
- released on
- "Fade" is a song by Staind from their 2001 album Break the Cycle, released as the third single from the album in late 2001. It was the last song played on MTV before turning to CBS´s broadcast following 9/11. The song has become one of the most definitive hit singles of Staind's distinct sound.
- "Fade" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Fade" was an extremely obscure single released promotionally in the Philippines by the band Blue Angel, taken from their 1980 album also called Blue Angel. Vocals were provided by Cyndi Lauper. It did not achieve any chart success and did not even have an accompanying picture sleeve. It was a last-ditch effort to capitalize on the record which had not lived up to sales expectations.
- "Fade" is the debut album by hard rock band Remove Silence, released by Dallas, Texas based Metaledge Records on September 21, 2010. The album was previously released in Brazil under the Dynamo Records label. Fade was submitted to the Grammy Awards for nomination consideration. The video for the title track has seen major airplay on MTV Brasil.
- genre: Hard rock
- "Fade" is a musical single of Solu Music & KimBlee.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Fade" is a musical single of Robi Uppin.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Fade" is a musical album of Interceptor.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "fade" is a musical album of Fade.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Fade" is a musical album of Vain.
- released in (20 years ago)
"Fade" is a 1988 young adult novel written by Robert Cormier.
- also known as "Fade (Laurel Leaf Books)"
- language: English Language
- genres: Young-adult fiction, Children's literature, Fiction, Fantasy, Speculative fiction
- subjects: Supernatural, Young adult, United States of America, Law
- copyright: 1988-09
- released in (27 years ago)
- "Fade", as it relates to film, is the process of causing a picture to gradually darken and disappear, or reverse. Often known as a "fade out" or a "fade in".
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Anthony Stagliano
- producer: David Taylor
- executive producers: Sandra Chanis, Donna Lancaster, Elizabeth Nolan & Douglas Ryder
- written by Anthony Stagliano
- based on a story by Anthony Stagliano
- David Connolly as Arthur Dichter
- Sarah Lassez as Anna Dichter
- Michael T. Weiss as Doctor McCabe
- Anthony Drazan as Inspector Shea
- Erin Elizabeth Esteves as Woman in Hospital
- Andrea Morris as Heloise
- Devon Odessa as Philosophy
- Steven Petrarca as Doctor
- Edwin A. Santos as Anesthetist
- Sandra Seacat as Woman
- Steven Tester as Pierre Abelard
- cinematography by Kenneth Wilson II
- edited by Christopher Good
- music by Hollis Lee, Cameron Presley
- costume design by Hollie Velten
- genres: Horror, Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Fade" is a 2011 short drama film written by Tara and directed by Parish Rahbar.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- executive producers: Joseph R. Crilly & Tara
- production design by Robin Feldman
- art direction by Robin Feldman
- written by Tara
- Tara as Shay
- Frederick Lawrence as Joe
- Tui Asau as Angel
- Parish Rahbar as Barista
- Keith Meinke as Cafe Patron #1
- Amethyst Baptiste as Cafe Patron #2
- Jodie Coffey as Mourner #1
- Patty Jo Engels as Mourner #2
- Anthony Formento as Faces #1
- Christina Fowler as Mourner #3
- Jeffery Fowler as Mourner #4
- Sara Ghannadi as Faces #2
- Oze Gomez as Faces #3
- Carly Hallvik as Faces #4
- Edward Joyce as Faces #5
- cinematography by Martim Vian
- edited by Justin Andrew Johnson & Parish Rahbar
- music by Jann Castor
- costume design by Sara Ghannadi
- genre: Drama
- released on (4 years ago)
- official website: www.renovatiomovies.com/#!fade
- "Fade" is a film, directed by Zorika Gaeta, Andre Dan, Felix Benning.
- country: Germany
- released in
"Fade" is a point-and-click adventure game developed by the Fade Team and released for the Windows Mobile Professional platform in 2001. The game was critically acclaimed as the first large-scale adventure game for the platform. It is most often compared to Myst, the first immersive graphic adventure games for the PC, and the games in the Zork series.
- mode: Single-player video game
- genre: Adventure game
- released in (14 years ago)
- Fade: In audio engineering, a fade is a gradual increase or decrease in the level of an audio signal. The term can also be used for film cinematography or theatre lighting, in much the same way.
- FADE is digital restrictions management software developed by Codemasters. It operates by detecting if a game has been pirated, and initially allows the player to use the game normally. It then gradually degrades certain game features over a time, eventually rendering it unplayable.
- Fade: In stage lighting, a fade is a gradual increase or decrease of the intensity of light projected onto the stage. The term fade-in refers to gradually changing the lighting level from complete darkness to a predetermined lighting level. A fade-out refers to gradually decreasing the intensity of light until none is shining on the stage. A crossfade is when lighting levels are gradually altered from one setting to another. A fade-in is sometimes called a build, and where this terminology is used, a fade is understood to be a fade-out.
- fadE is a gene.
- Fade is the seventh and final single released from Kristine W's 2009 album The Power of Music. The single was released in two parts, called "Fade: The Epic Remixes Parts 1 & 2" featuring 24 different remixes from 9 different producers. With the June 18, 2011 issue of Billboard, "Fade" became Kristine W's 16th number one single on the Hot Dance/ Club Play Charts, and her seventh from The Power of Music. This number one single also moved her above Mariah Carey as the 7th artist with the most number ones on the Hot Dance/ Club Play Charts behind Madonna and Janet Jackson who has 22. With "Fade", Kristine W also broke the record for most #1 singles from one album on the Billboard Dance Charts.
- Fade is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Fade
Phrases starting with the word Fade:
Phrases ending with the word Fade:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fade
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Kirkwall Viscount Pcrrin 'Ihrenhold is Dwarves A dwarf entering the Fade is a rare thing. The unde rground dwellers do not dream...
THE FADE 143 Qunari 'Ihe Qunari believe the Fade is the Land ofthe Dead. Entering it in any fashion is strictly ...
by Cliff Owen
Mechanical fade is a problem that occurs with drum brakes when the drum becomes very hot and expands outward, away from the brake shoes. As a result, the shoes then must travel farther to contact the drum surface with normal braking ...
by Woody Leonhard, Katherine Murray
Fade is a term that describes the gradual failure of the battery — you get four hours of computing time from it today, but by tomorrow you...
by Bill Mallon, Randon Jerris
A fade is a golf shot that bends slightly from left-to-right for a right-handed player or from right-to-left for a left-handed player. A fade is the milder, more controlled form of a slice. FAIRWAY. The fairway is the area between the teeing grounds ...
An end-to-end reference guide to design, deploy, manage, and secure 802.11 wireless networks by Jeff Smith, Jake Woodhams, Robert Marg
Fade is the characteristic of how the transmitted signal diminishes as it propagates through an area. The 802.11n device will automatically select the best diversitycombining algorithm for the environmental conditions. In Figure 314, the device ...
Radio Systems Engineering (2016)
by Steven W. Ellingson
Rain fade is a temporary increase in the apparent attenuation rate due to scattering and absorption by rain along the path of propagation. Like atmospheric absorption, the effect is normally negligible at UHF and below, and emerges into ...
by The National Gardening Association, Bob Beckstrom, Karan Davis Cutler, Kathleen Fisher, Phillip Giroux, Judy Glattstein, Michael MacCaskey, Bill Marken, Charlie Nardozzi, Sally Roth, Marcia Tatroe, Lance Walheim, Ann Whitman
Chopping the leaves away right after the flowers fade is a lousy gardening technique. It halts food production right then and there, when the bulb is at ...
by Ryan C. Williams, Mike Levine
A fade refers to the gradual increase or decrease in volume, either quickly or slowly. But instead of trusting your steady hand to move the faders (hey, that makes sense now!) on a mixer, you can automatically move the volume up or down in ...
Head Cases (2014)
Julia Kristeva on Philosophy and Art in Depressed Times by Elaine P. Miller
The primary intellectual value that remains as universal ethical and religious values fade is that of curiosity. Art, whether poetry, music, painting, sculpture, photography, film, or even detective fiction (which Kristeva writes), maintains this value ...
by Inman Majors
The fade is the all—time, the all—time, give—up call. You just throw that butterball up there, it's incomplete of course, the field goal team comes out, and no one ever calls it what it is: a chickenshit call. You might as well kick the field goal on ...
Somme by Jack Horsfall, Nigel Cave
Rose Coombs' Before Endeavours Fade is a good general introduction. This has been joined by two guides specifically for the Somme. Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme is a sumptuously produced colour guide of some 250 ...
by Paul Thede, Lee Parks
Fade is a decrease in damping during use. It is usually caused by one of three things. First is the loss of viscosity when the oil heats up. (Losing viscosity means that the oil thins out.) This can be because the viscosity index of the oil is low ...
by Ken Pickerill
Mechanical fade is a problem that can occur with drum brakes when the drum becomes very hot and expands outward, away from the brake shoes. The shoes then must travel farther to contact the drum surface with normal braking force.
Dictionary of Film Terms (2006)
The Aesthetic Companion to Film Art by Frank Eugene Beaver
Fade A transition device for moving from one scene or sequence to another in a motion picture. A fade-out occurs when the image on the screen fades to black to end the scene. The scene which follows may suddenly appear, or it may ...
by Dennis Longley, Martin Shain
fade in (1) In filming, an optical effect in which a screen gradually changes from black to image. (2) In audio, a gradual increase in volume. Compare fade out. fade out (1) In filming, an optical effect during which the screen goes ...
The Audio Dictionary (2005)
Third Edition, Revised and Expanded by Glenn White, Gary J Louie
Fade To gradually change ...
Fade : A visual transition between shots or scenes that appears on screen as a brief interval with no picture. The editor fades one shot to black and then fades in the next. Often used to indicate a change in time and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fade
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about fade
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fade:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb fade:
Photos about Fade
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Fade Away.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fade
Click on an item to play that video:
- Fade Meaning
Video shows what fade means. Strong; bold; doughty. fade pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. fade meaning. Powered by ...
- Fade in Meaning
Video shows what fade in means. A type of transition used in visual media, in which the transition is at first black, fading to a visual image.. Fade in Meaning.
- Color fade Meaning
Video shows what color fade means. a film punctuation in which the picture brightens until it is completely a single color. Color fade Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- How to Cut a Fade How to Clipper cut Tools Explanation Men's Haistyles
- English Words - ESL EFL Lesson 218 - curl, ball up, fade
Learning English through pictures. SCRIPT The snake is curling around a tree. A man has balled up his fingers to form a fist. The color of the metal plate has ...
- EFL Elementary Transit fade effect
See also the pronunciation examples of Fade!
Tyrin's Sign Language interpretation to the song "Slow Fade
Fine Arts Festival 2013 in Syracuse, NY.
Quotes about Fade
kingdoms too fade
vain glory is
even the self with
which we flirt in a
is left to fade
body, the seat of illusion
body, the seed of desire
too fades away on the
dissolving horizon of time
11.20hrs (Indira Babbellapati)
more quotes about fade...
Scrabble value of F4A1D2E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FADE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Fade!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fade to see it in context!