On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fado
What does fado mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fados
- a sad Portuguese folksong
Fado is a record label.
- Fado is a music genre which can be traced to the 1820s in Portugal, but probably with much earlier origins. Fado historian and scholar Rui Vieira Nery states that "the only reliable information on the history of Fado was orally transmitted and goes back to the 1820s and 1830s at best. But even that information was frequently modified within the generational transmission process that made it reach us today.
- "Fado" is the first album by Portuguese fado singer Carminho. It was released on 22 May 2009 and was a huge critical and commecial success. It is a more traditional fado album than its followup, Alma, featuring versions of several famous fado songs.
- genre: Fado
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Fado" is a musical album of Katia Guerreiro.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Fado" is a musical album of Eugenio Finardi.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Fado" is a composition.
- "Fado" is a musical album of Mísia.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "Fado" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music and lyrics by Charles Aznavour
- "Fado" is a musical album of Don Byas & Amália Rodrigues.
- "Fado" is a musical album of Lenita Gentil.
FADO is a European image-archiving system that was set up to help combat illegal immigration and organised crime. It was established by a Joint Action of the Council of the European Union enacted in 1998.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fado
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Symphony of Flavors (2015)
Food and Music in Concert by Edmundo Murray
Fado is a type of mournful popular song in Portugal. changing the four-beat bar in morna to two beats, thus Gastronomy, Music, and Dance in the ...
by Norman Abjorensen
From the Portuguese word meaning “fate” or “destiny,” fado is a distinctively haunting urban popular music song of Portugal, usually of melancholy or fatalistic character and typically accompanied by a guitar. More broadly, it is a performance ...
Cruising the Mediterranean (2002)
A Guide to the Ports of Call by Larry H. Ludmer
The Casa do Fado is an interesting little museum that highlights the history of Portugal's haunting "Fado" music. There is also much about the famous Portuguese guitar. Largo do Chafariz de Dentro 1. Daily except Tuesday, 1 0 am until 5 pm; ...
Fodor's Portugal (2005)
by Inc. Fodor's Travel Publications
Fado Clubs Fado is a haunting music rooted in African slave songs. During colonial rimes it was exported to Portugal; later, Lisbon's Alfama was recognized as the birthplace of the style, and today most performances occur in the Bairro Alto.
"Loss, Memory and the City " by Richard Elliott
Fado is the weariness of the strong soul, the gaze of contempt that Portugal directs to the god in whom it believed and who abandoned it.19 the desire of the empirical historian to disentangle 'truth' from myth can be a difficult one to fulfil.
by John Oswald, Joseph Thomas, James Lynd
Sicco ; fado. Siccity. Sicco. Sideral, sideration. Sidus. Siderile. Sideros. Siderography. Sideros; grapko. Sideroscope. Sideros ; scopeo. Siege. Sedeo. Sigil, sigillative, sign, signal, signature signet. Signum. Significant. Signum ; fado. Signify.
The Irish Use of English by Terence Patrick Dolan
fado /fad'o:/ adv., long ago - typical introduction to a story told by a SEANCHAI < Ir. 'Fado fado. there was a little leprechaun named Brogeen . . .' faggot /'faegat/ ;;., a contemptuous term for a dirty untidy woman < E dial. (see EDD s.v. ...
by Don Michael Randel
Fado, fadinho [Port]. Since the 19th ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fado
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fado
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: limitsios
Photo credit: Mark and Allegra
Taken in Lisbon, Portugal
Photo credit: atelerixskye
Photo credit: beau-foto
Photo credit: gabrielalmts
Photo credit: b.frahm
Photo credit: timcowlishaw
Photo credit: cocoate.com
Photo credit: andresmh
- Fado wall
Lisbon, Portugal, Maria Severa, Street Art, Graffiti
Photo credit: Jeanne Menjoulet
- Lisbon Fado
Photo credit: Effervescing Elephant
- Blaggards at Fado
Photo credit: MarkScottAustinTX
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Fado
Video shows what fado means. A Portuguese folk song, usually featuring a single vocalist, Portuguese guitar and sometimes classical guitar. Lyrical themes are ...
Scrabble value of F4A1D2O1
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FADO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Fado!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fado to see it in context!