The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb fag out:
On this page:
Definition of the verb fag out
What does fag out mean as a doing phrase?
- exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of fag out: fag / fatigue / jade / outwear / tire / tire out / wear / wear down / wear out / wear upon / weary
- more generic word: indispose = cause to feel unwell
- more specific terms:
- cause: fatigue / jade / pall / tire / weary
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for fag out
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Eric Partridge
fag out . To serve as a FAG; esp. in cricket, to field: from ca 1840: coll, schoolboys', orig. and esp. at Winchester College. fagged out Exhausted: coll (–1785). Perhaps ex dial. fag, to exhaust oneself in ...
by Edward Samuel Farrow
To fag out means to wear out..the end of a rope or a piece of canvas. Fagots. — In military history, men hired to muster by officers whose companies were not complete ; also fascines of brushwood, used to revet the interior of batteries, ...
by Karel Jonáš
tfepitíse, to fag out, tufâgaut. trhání, 481: t. т údech,
Biographical Notices, and Records of Naval Officers; Special Articles on Naval Art and Science
fag out, to untwist or become frayed; as, the end of a rope, or the edge of canvas. Fan-arm.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for fag out
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: