On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun family bovidae
What does family bovidae mean as a name of something?
- true antelopes; cattle; oxen; sheep; goats
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Antilopidae / family Antilopidae / Capra depressa / species Capra depressa / Capra reversa / species Capra reversa / Bovidae
- more generic term: mammal family = a family of mammals
- member of: Ruminantia / suborder Ruminantia = cattle; bison; sheep; goats; antelopes; deer; chevrotains; giraffes
- bovid = hollow-horned ruminants
- subfamily Bovinae / Bovinae = term not used technically; essentially coextensive with genus Bos: cattle; buffalo
- tribe Bovini / Bovini = term not used technically
- genus Bos / Bos = wild and domestic cattle
- Old World buffalo / buffalo = any of several Old World animals resembling oxen including, e.g., water buffalo
- genus Bubalus / tribe Bubalus / Bubalus = in some classification systems included in genus Bos
- genus Anoa = a genus of mammals of the family Bovidae
- genus Synercus / tribe synercus / Synercus = Cape buffalo
- genus Bibos / Bibos = wild ox
- genus Bison = sometimes considered a subgenus of genus Bos: American buffalo
- genus Ovibos / Ovibos = consisting of the musk-ox
- genus Ovis / Ovis = sheep
- genus Ammotragus / Ammotragus = genus of wild sheep
- genus Capra / Capra = goats
- goat antelope = bovid related to goats but having antelope-like features: mountain goats; gorals; serows; chamois
- genus Oreamnos / Oreamnos = mountain goats
- genus Naemorhedus / Naemorhedus = gorals
- genus Capricornis / Capricornis = serows
- genus Rupicapra / Rupicapra = chamois
- genus Budorcas / Budorcas = gnu goats
- genus Antilope / Antilope = blackbucks
- genus Litocranius / Litocranius = antelopes of eastern Africa: gerenuks
- genus Addax = genus of antelopes of northern African deserts
- genus Connochaetes / Connochaetes = African antelopes: gnus
- genus Madoqua / Madoqua = genus comprising some small antelopes of eastern and northeastern Africa
- genus Alcelaphus / Alcelaphus = African antelopes: hartebeests
- genus Damaliscus / Damaliscus = African antelopes: sassabies
- genus Aepyceros / Aepyceros = African antelopes: impalas
- genus Gazella / Gazella = typical gazelles
- genus Antidorcas / Antidorcas = springboks
- genus Strepsiceros / genus Tragelaphus / Strepsiceros / Tragelaphus = African antelopes: kudus; bongos; nyalas
- genus Boselaphus / Boselaphus = Indian antelopes: nilgais
- genus Hippotragus / Hippotragus = sable antelopes
- genus Saiga = Eurasian antelopes: saigas
- genus Raphicerus / Raphicerus = African antelopes: steenboks
- genus Taurotragus / Taurotragus = African antelopes: elands
- genus Kobus / Kobus = African antelopes: waterbucks
- genus Adenota / Adenota = African antelopes: puku
- genus Oryx = African antelopes: oryxes
- genus Pseudoryx / Pseudoryx = species of large cow-like mammals of Vietnam discovered by scientists in 1992
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for family Bovidae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Robinson, courtesy of USD 57 HOOVED ANIMALS: CARIBOU The Cow Family (Family Bovidae)...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
This group belongs to the subfamily Bovinae, which in turn is contained within the large family Bovidae. Other members of the Bovidae include antelopes, sheep, goats and the pronghorn antelope. Buffalo are also related to deer, camels, ...
Family Bovidae (hollow ...
by Robert Alan Lewis
a genus (Family Bovidae) of cattle and related ruminants. B. bison ( American bison; buffalo). a large animal with a massive head and shoulders with short, curly, brown hair. Large numbers of bison were slaughtered by "buffalo hunters" in ...
Dictionary of Agriculture (1998)
by Alan Stephens
family Bovidae. and within the genus there are a number oi different specres. The European domesticated cattle are Bos taurus; the lndian and African domesticated cattle are Bos indicus; the buffalo is Bos bubalus. The mam breeds of ...
by Virginia P. Studdert, Clive C. Gay, Douglas C. Blood
a member of the wild cattle group ofthe family Bovidae. Brown or black with white stockings and rump patch. B.gaurus along-horned, dark-colored with light belly and stockings,wild cattle. Tall, 6 ft at ...
The Encyclopedia of Animals (2004)
A Complete Visual Guide by Fred Cooke
Order Hyracoidea Hyraxes Order TubuWentata Aardvark Order Amodactyla Even -toed ungulates Family Bovidae Cattle, antelopes, and sheep DEER family C en/ idae Deer Family Tragulidae Chevrotains Family Moschidae Musk deer Family ...
by Valerie Porter, Lawrence Alderson, Stephen J.G. Hall, D. Phillip Sponenberg
The informal term antelope is widely used to include Old World genera within the family Bovidae (as opposed to the deer of the family Cervidae) that are not cattle, sheep, goats, water buffalo or bison. A characteristic of the Bovidae is that they ...
Encyclopedia of Deserts (1999)
by Michael A. Mares, Oklahoma Museum of Natural History (Norman, Okla.)
Ungulate of the species Oryx gazella (mammalian order Artiodactyla, family Bovidae) that inhabits the arid plains and deserts from Ethiopia and Somalia to Namibia and eastern South Africa. They are large (length of body 180 -235 ...
by Rita Singh
family Bovidae, order Ungulata. Description. The pancreas of the pig is a compact organ lying transversely across the body behind the stomach; in the ox it is a diffuse gland and weighs ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for family Bovidae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about family Bovidae
If you need images about family Bovidae for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of family Bovidae to find many related words and phrases!