On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun family caryophyllaceae
What does family caryophyllaceae mean as a name of something?
- large family of herbs or subshrubs (usually with stems swollen at the nodes)
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Alsinaceae / family Alsinaceae / Dianthaceae / family Dianthaceae / Herniariaceae / family Herniariaceae / Illecebraceae / family Illecebraceae / Paronychiaceae / family Paronychiaceae / Scleranthaceae / family Scleranthaceae / Silenaceae / family Silenaceae / Spergulaceae / family Spergulaceae / Stellariaceae / family Stellariaceae / Telephiaceae / family Telephiaceae / Caryophyllaceae
- synonyms of family Caryophyllaceae: carnation family / pink family
- more generic term: caryophylloid dicot family = family of relatively early dicotyledonous plants including mostly flowers
- member of: Caryophyllales / Chenopodiales / order Caryophyllales / order-Chenopodiales = corresponds approximately to the older group Centrospermae
- caryophyllaceous plant = a plant of the family Caryophyllaceae
- genus Agrostemma / Agrostemma = a caryophylloid dicot genus including corn cockles
- genus Arenaria / Arenaria = sandworts
- genus Cerastium / Cerastium = mouse-eared chickweed
- genus Dianthus / Dianthus = carnations and pinks
- genus Drypis = one species
- genus Gypsophila / Gypsophila = Mediterranean herbs having small white or pink flowers
- genus Hernaria / Hernaria = low-growing Old World herbs with minute bright green leaves
- genus Illecebrum / Illecebrum = one species: coral necklace
- genus Lychnis = genus of plants strongly resembling those of genus Silene: catchfly
- genus Minuartia / Minuartia = mostly perennial herbs of northern hemisphere often with mat-forming habit
- genus Moehringia / Moehringia = low-growing herbs widely distributed in temperate and Arctic northern hemisphere: sandworts
- genus Paronychia / Paronychia = low-growing annual or perennial herbs or woody plants
- genus Petrocoptis / Petrocoptis = perennial tussock-forming rock plants; of Pyrenees and mountains of northern Spain
- genus Sagina / Sagina = small low-growing annual or perennial herbs of temperate and cool regions
- genus Saponaria / Saponaria = mostly perennial Old World herbs
- genus Scleranthus / Scleranthus = small genus of Old World weedy prostrate annuals: knawel
- genus Silene = large widely distributed genus of plants having mostly showy flowers of various colors: campion
- genus Spergula / Spergula = small genus of Old World annual herbs: corn spurry
- genus Spergularia / Spergularia = chiefly maritime Eurasian herbs: sand spurry
- genus Stellaria / Stellaria = common chickweed
- genus Vaccaria / Vaccaria = cow-cockles
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for family Caryophyllaceae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Silene acaulis, family Caryophyllaceae, near sea level in arctic tundra, Norway); desert succulent plants ((d) saguaro (Carnegiea gigantean), family Cactaceae, ...
Used in Food, Drugs and Cosmetics by Ikhlas A. Khan, Ehab A. Abourashed
Villars (Family Caryophyllaceae). Common/vernacular names: Chickweed, starweed, star chickweed, and hakobe (Japan). GENERAL DESCRIPTION Prostrate to decumbent annual herb to 40 cm; leaves ovate, ...
by I. C. Gupta, S. K. Gupta
Family Caryophyllaceae. Small aquatic winter weed with white flowers; like mist and shady situations. Common in temperate regions. Leaves and tender stalks used as leafy vegetable. Chicory Cichorium intybus L. Family Compositae. Plant of ...
From Acacia to Zinnia by Christopher Cumo
Approximately 100 species encompass the genus Gypsophila, which belongs to the family Caryophyllaceae, a plant family that also includes the common carnation. It is native to Central and Eastern Europe, Asia, the Mediterranean, and North ...
by Beau Riffenburgh
In the Antarctic there are only two species, the pearl- wort Colobanthus quitensis (family Caryophyllaceae) and the hair grass Deschampsia antarctica (family Poaceae), both reaching 68o420 S. By comparison, more than 1000 species exist at ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
pink family Family Caryophyllaceae, composed of 2,070 species of flowering plants in 89 genera found mainly in northern temperate regions. The approximately 300 species of true pinks belong to the genus ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for family Caryophyllaceae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about family Caryophyllaceae
If you need images about family Caryophyllaceae for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price: