On this page:
- Definition of the noun Firmament
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Firmament
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Firmament
- Photos about Firmament
- Video about Firmament
- Quotes about Firmament
- Scrabble value of F4I1R1M3A1M3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of FIRMAMENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Firmament
What does Firmament mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: firmaments
- the apparent surface of the imaginary sphere on which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- example: May the firmament not fall upon him.
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of firmament: celestial sphere / empyrean / heavens / sphere / vault of heaven / welkin
- more generic word: surface = the extended two-dimensional outer boundary of a three-dimensional object
- apex of the sun's way / solar apex / apex = the point on the celestial sphere toward which the sun and solar system appear to be moving relative to the fixed stars
- celestial point = a point in the heavens
- nadir = the point below the observer that is directly opposite the zenith on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- zenith = the point above the observer that is directly opposite the nadir on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- zodiac = a belt-shaped region in the heavens on either side to the ecliptic
Alternative definition of the noun Firmament
- [uncountable] The vault of the heavens; the sky.
- [obsolete] basis.
- The field or sphere of an interest or activity.
- [archaic] In the Ptolemaic system, the eighth geocentric sphere, which carried the fixed stars.
- "Firmament" is a musical album of Main & Midnight Odyssey.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Firmament" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Thomas Lesczenski
The firmament is the sky, conceived as a solid dome. According to Genesis, God created the firmament to separate the "waters above" the earth from those below. The word is anglicized from Latin firmamentum, which appears in the Vulgate.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Firmament
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The secrets of the Zohar (2015)
by Nurho De Manhar
The starry firmament is a heavenly alphabetby which the wise and spiritually-minded can read the interpretation of the present and the history of the future. So with respect to man; ...
Gaia Speaks (2005)
Sacred Earth Wisdom by Pepper Lewis
The firmament is a part of a greater continuum, a link between two or more dimensions. It is not solid or separate but seamless and continuous, gradually and imperceptibly blending in such a way that it becomes impossible to say where one ...
For Self-Defense, Target Shooting, and Hunting by Jim Casada
Interestingly one of the very most accurate shooting arms in the handgun firmament is the Feinwerkbau air pistol. It is a .17 caliber and is shot at 10 meters. This pistol will shoot tighter groups than all save an exceedingly small number of the ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
FIRMAMENT—FIRMAN. stant; steady; resolute: N. the name or title under which a company transects business; a partnership (q. v.): V. in 011, to confirm; to establish; to fix steadily. FIBM'LY, ad. -li. FIRM'NEss, n. stability; steadfastness; ...
Historic books etc on garden design and landscape architecture by Tom Turner
And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. 7. And God ...
by G Gaskell
FIRMAMENT And the Supreme now establishes the higher mental plane which shall be a plane of consciousness dividing the Reality from the Mayavic. That is, the mental plane shall divide the buddhic plane (waters above) of the higher ...
by ROBERT CHAMBERS
Firmament, a word formerly used to signify the vault of heaven. The term found its way into English from ...
by Chad Brand, Archie England, Charles W. Draper
FIRMAMENT Great vault or expanse of sky that separates the upper and lower waters. God createdthe firmament on the second day toseparate the“waters fromthe waters” (Gen. 1:67).Oneuse of“heaven” intheBible ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
firmament ; Ital. Firmamen'tal, adj. 5 Span, and Port , firma- mento; Lat. firmamentum, from firmus. See Firm. The sky; the visible heavens; the expanse over our heads. Also, be the erthe devysed in als manye ...
Containing an Historical Account of the Persons; a Geographical Account of the Places; a Literal, Critical, and Systematical Description of Other Objects ... Mentioned in the Writings of the Old and New Testaments ... by John Brown
FIRMAMENT. The Hebrew word rakiahh. It signifies What is spread out ; as silver is spread into plates, or as a curtain. Firmament denotes what is ijlid ami fixed. It includes nut only the atmosphere, or region os aih, in which we breathe, fowls fiy ...
by J. D. Douglas, Merrill C. Tenney
firmament. Traditional rendering for Hebrew rāqîa H8385, a difficult word that seems to suggest beaten metal plate. The Hebrew term is used only with reference to the sky (Gen. 1:6-8 et al.), viewed apparently as an “expanse” (NIV) or “vault” ...
The Cyclopædia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature. By Abraham Rees, ... with the Assistance of Eminent Professional Gentlemen. Illustrated with Numerous Engravings, by the Most Disinguished Artists. In Thirthy-nine Volumes. Vol. 1 [- 39] (1819)
FIRMAMENT, (from the Latin firmamentum.) This word has been ufed with great latitude by facred writers, by astronomers, by poets, and other writers. When Ptolemy of Egypt endeavoured to reconcile the phenomena of the celestial bodies ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Firmament
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Firmament
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pierre*peetah
Photo credit: zweiff
Photo credit: ChodHound
Samsung digimax a503
Photo credit: gEr_DaNnY
Photo credit: Avanova
Photo credit: noii's
Photo credit: jimwolffman
Photo credit: Pommiebastards
Photo credit: gEr_DaNnY
Photo credit: Brabakbengel
Photo credit: zweiff
Photo credit: andymag
Photo credit: jordi_nll
- Bell of firmament - Delestra
Photo credit: Laurent Bechir
- THE FIRMAMENT
Photo credit: thegreathorsecigar
- Haloed Firmament
Oooh heaven is a place on earth
Heaven is a place on earth. :)
Photo credit: CarbonNYC [in SF!]
Photo credit: Маршрутизатор
- Overarching firmament
Photo credit: dno1967b
- Upper Firmament
Photo credit: frankieleon
- Park the Firmament
At the west entrance to the Bay Bridge.
Photo credit: CarbonNYC [in SF!]
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Firmament
Video shows what firmament means. The vault of the heavens; the sky.. basis.. The field or sphere of an interest or activity.. Firmament Meaning. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Firmament!
Quotes about Firmament
Rather than have it the principal thing in my son's mind, I would gladly have him think that the sun went round the earth, and that the stars were so many spangles set in the bright blue firmament. (Thomas Arnold)
more quotes about firmament...
Scrabble value of F4I1R1M3A1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FIRMAMENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Firmament!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Firmament to see it in context!