Definition of Fitness
What does Fitness mean?
- the quality of being suitable
- example: they had to prove their fitness for the position
- synonym of fitness: fittingness
- antonym of fitness: unfitness
- more generic words: suitability / suitableness = the quality of having the properties that are right for a specific purpose
- more specific words:
- good physical condition; being in shape or in condition
- the quality of being qualified
- The condition of being fit, suitable or appropriate
- the cultivation of an attractive and healthy physique
- the ability to perform a function
Phrases with Fitness
Phrases starting with the word Fitness:
- Fitness Model
- Fitness center
Phrases ending with the word Fitness:
- Pole Fitness
- physical fitness
- Fitness is a musical genre.
- Fitness (often denoted in population genetics models) is a central idea in evolutionary theory. It can be defined either with respect to a genotype or to a phenotype in a given environment. In either case, it describes the ability to both survive and reproduce, and is equal to the average contribution to the gene pool of the next generation that is made by an average individual of the specified genotype or phenotype. If differences between alleles at a given gene affect fitness, then the frequencies of the alleles will change over generations; the alleles with higher fitness become more common. This process is called natural selection.
- "Fitness" is a musical album of Miss Polski.
- released in (4 years ago)
"Fitness" is a book by Bonnie B Graves.
Fitness is a United States-based monthly women's magazine, focusing on health, exercise, and nutrition. It is owned and published by the Meredith Corporation. The editor-in-chief of Fitness is Betty Wong.
- official website: www.fitnessmagazine.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fitness
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Feeding Anorexia (2003)
Gender and Power at a Treatment Center by Helen Gremillion
Although fitness is a form of bodily control that, ideologically, includes both men and women, the female body is not perceived as a ''productive'' resource for crafting a fit body. Rather, it is perceived as both a resource and a natural limit in this ...
Wikijunior Big Cats
Emotional Fitness is the cornerstone of a humane, trusting partnership between man and animal. When we bring life into the world, we owe it happiness and contentment. Moral Fitness is a clear understanding of rules and expectations by ...
Natural Selection in the Wild (1986)
by John A. Endler
Ml NESS AND ADAPTATION Fitness is an estimate and a predictor of the rate of natural selection, and is therefore necessary for a...
Making Sense of Evolution (2010)
The Conceptual Foundations of Evolutionary Biology by Massimo Pigliucci, Jonathan Kaplan
fitness is a statistical property of populations. When a population can be divided into a number of groups based on variations among the members of the population with respect to some trait, the average growth rates of ...
Run Your First Marathon (2010)
Everything You Need to Know to Reach the Finish Line by Grete Waitz, Gloria Averbuch
Technically, fitness is a combination of endurance, strength, and flexibility. It is also a lifestyle, comprised of healthy habits.
A Dictionary of Ethology (1989)
by Klaus Immelmann
FITNESS system. The movement can thus be included in a variety of reflexes and actions. A dog may wag its tail in response to an insect bite or as an expression of excitement or to avoid having it stepped on. In each case the different ...
International Encyclopedia of Ergonomics and Human Factors, Second Edition - 3 Volume Set (2010)
by Waldemar Karwowski
Fitness. for. Work. A. Y. Burov. Centre of Ergonomics and Safety, ELAN Ltd, Kyiv, Ukraine B. J. Daams Delft University of Technology, Department of Industrial. 1 INTRODUCTION The analysis of accidents in power plants shows that one of the ...
Historical Dictionary of Cycling (2011)
by Bill Mallon, Jeroen Heijmans
FITNESS CYCLING. Many people use cycling as a means of achieving and maintaining fitness.
Dictionary of Psychology (1999)
by Mike Cardwell
The term direct fitness describes the reproductive gain from an animal's own offspring, and indirect fitness the reproductive gain from non-descendant genetic relatives. Together they make up the animal's inclusive fitness. Kin selection ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis].
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Some ingenious naturalists have attended only to the appearances of fitness, ...
Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Human Evolution, 2 Volume Set (2011)
by Bernard Wood
it is the relative difference between the fitness of ...
Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology (2003)
Health and Illness in the World's Cultures Topics - Volume 1; Cultures - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
the latter pair on theY has lowered fitness phenotype is often have lowered often have lowered chromosome cannot intermediate fitness, new mutation fitness (or AA, AY are be evaluated for hidden in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fitness
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Fitness
man lighting a cigarette in the latin quarter of paris, france next to a poster about fitness
Photo credit: zoetnet
Dance lesson in fitness center...
Photo credit: o0bsessed
- Fitness First Gym
Gym floor, Fitness First, Bath, UK...
Photo credit: HealthGauge
- Fitness centre
Fitness centre at Tara Angkor Hotel
Photo credit: Tara Angkor Hotel
- Fitness room
The fitness room at the downtown Memphis Courtyard by Marriott
Photo credit: ilovememphis
- Fitness burnout
Burned fitness club, Apeldoorn
Photo credit: tuppus
- Fitness Test Shows Marines a Taste of Combat
Lance Cpl. Alex Fuller, a disbursing clerk with 2nd Marine Logistics Group (Forward), fireman carrys a Marine during a Combat Fitness Test, Dec. 10. ALMAR 032/08, released, Aug. 8, states that the CFT is a three part test with universal application developed around operational vignettes that may represent a Marine's combat experience.
Photo credit: DVIDSHUB
- Fitness Lounge - Stuttgart
Photo credit: marceljanus
- Outdoor fitness, guerrilla style
A new style of outdoor fitness drags ancient Roman workouts into the 21st century.
The Centurion Method is a new system of outdoor fitness originating from the city of Bath city in the UK (or Aquae Suilis as the Romans knew it), which focuses on natural, functional and health based movement designed to push the average human to their full genetic potential. It is based upon the idea that the toughest and most hardy soldiers who ever lived were the Legionnaires of the Empire of Ancient Rome. They trained, much like the Spartans, with full armour, shield, helmet and weapon, doing long distance runs and marches with little food and exposure to the elements. Their training was hard, painful and designed to make them comfortable with suffering and pain. The Centurion Method seeks to emulate that dedication, asceticism and mental endurance to create athletes and above all humans who can do what they were born to do.
The Centurion Method was created by outdoor fitness veterans Craig and Lucy Fraser from a ten year foundation of outdoor endurance fitness.
Photo credit: HealthGauge
View more pictures about Fitness Trail.
Video language resources about Fitness
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sports and Fitness Activities - Picture Vocabulary Review
ESL/EFL Picture Vocabulary Review - Sports and Fitness Activities...
- Fitness - The Meaning of Life
- Body by Fitz Fitness - Explanation - 10,000 Punches Workouts
Fitz explains the best way to schedule the the various 10000 Punches workouts, with or without the heavy bag to achieve maximum workout benefits. Any furthe...
- Definition Fitness Daniel Knust 14-1 345 reps
Wollongong N.S.W Australia.
- Clean Eating--The Bro Fitness Definition
TigerFitness.com Makes The INC. 500!! https://...
- Definition Fitness Online
Want a new you? Want to get fit and healthy? Get the goals you desire with...
- One Mongolia - English Lesson - Fitness - Vocabulary
- Health, Food, and Fitness Vocabulary Course Introduction
- Quick Explanation of Beachbody Fitness Programs
Beachbody Fitness Programs.
- EPIC FIGURES By Definition Fitness
Introducing EPIC FIGURES by Definition Fitness! Epic Figures is a competition team headed by IFBB Figure Pro Chaya. It is comprised of Figure, Bikini and Phy...
- 6 MINUTE ABS BLAST - Alison Booker Definition Fitness
This abs circuit will challenge your core strength, upper & lowers abs, obliques and cardio fitness. The circuit can be performed with minimal equipment, at ...
- Definition of Health and Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic
HEALTH AND FITNESS REVOLUTION is the movement that is focusing on implementing a healthy lifestyle to American Society. 250 million Americans don't live a he...
- Definition Fitness - Muscle Building Arm Routine
Daniel Knust from Definition Fitness sharing one of the best muscle building arm routines. Try to complete 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps , super setting between bicep...
- Fitness Starts With Food 2013 Workout Explanation
- The Meaning of RPM in Exercise : Fitness Education
- Hot Definition: Melissa Bender Fitness Workout
- Landmine Fitness Trainer - Explanation and Demos!
Check us out at...
- Definition of Health and fitness
Doug McGuff, MD became interested in exercise at the age of 15 when he first read Arthur Jones' Nautilus Training Bulletin No. 2. His interest in exercise an...
- Get sculpted abs and definition with "Fitness on Fire" Online Boot Camp training!
Fitness on FIRE ONLINE: Black Diamond Star Member Leonardo Thompson signed up for the 90 day online training program but because of his duties in the US Air ...
- Body by Fitz Fitness - Barbender (Power Twister) Workouts - Explanation
Fitz explains how to use workout with the Power Twister using either his workouts or by creating your own from his library of exercises you can do. He also e...
- English Fitness - Language Focus
English Fitness is the innovative English course for iPhone: a real didactic gym, to help enhance and strengthen your English, so you will be able to handle ...
- Fitness ESL
- Body Language Fitness - Virtual Tour
Body Language Fitness, located minutes from Yorkdale Mall, on Orfus road, is one of the most exclusive and state of the art personal training gym's in the GT...
- Jack Knife - Dictionary of Fitness
This is a great move to work on overall balance and strength. Main target is the core, including the lower back. Keep your core engaged and also squeeze the ...
- Body Language Fitness - Mark Giordano
See how Calgary Flames Defenseman Mark Giordano trained this off season at Body Language Fitness.
- Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors Job Description
Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors Job Description.
- Description of Exercises for the X Stretch : Fitness Training
- Frog Kick - Dictionary Of Fitness
Outdoor fitness is a great breath of fresh air!! https://...
- Language Fitness Tips with Simon Richard: Tip #4
Simon Richard's Language Tip: Order your meals in both languages!
- The Fitness Index description - Rick Mason - The Fitness Challenge
View more videos about Physical Fitness.
See also the pronunciation examples of Fitness!
Quotes about Fitness
The most important quality in a leader is that of being acknowledged as such. All leaders whose fitness is questioned are clearly lacking in force. (Andre Maurois)
more quotes about fitness...
Scrabble value of F4I1T1N1E1S1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FITNESS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Fitness!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Fitness to find many related words and phrases!