The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fitting:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fitting
- Definition of the adjective fitting
- Phrases with Fitting
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fitting
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fitting
- Photos about Fitting
- Video language resources about Fitting
- Quotes about Fitting
- Scrabble value of F4I1T1T1I1N1G2
- Share this page
Definition of the noun fitting
What does fitting mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fittings
- making or becoming suitable; adjusting to circumstances
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of fitting: accommodation / adjustment
- more generic words: advance / betterment / improvement = a change for the better
- more specific words:
- a small and often standardized accessory to a larger system
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic words: accessory / add-on / appurtenance / supplement = a supplementary component that improves capability
- more specific terms:
- gas fitting = the fitting (pipes or valves or meters) that convey gas from the gas main to the gas fixtures of a building
- pipe fitting / pipefitting = fitting consisting of threaded pieces of pipe for joining pipes together
- receptacle = an electrical (or electronic) fitting that is connected to a source of power and equipped to receive an insert
- (usually in the plural) furnishings and equipment (especially for a ship or hotel)
- putting clothes on to see whether they fit
Alternative definition of the noun fitting
- A small detachable part of a device or machine.
- The act of trying on clothes to inspect or adjust the fit.
- [context: manufacturing] The process of applying craft methods such as skilled filing to the making and assembling of machines or other products.
- [chiefly British] Domestic furnishings or fixtures.
Definition of the adjective fitting
What does fitting mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more fitting / most fitting
- in harmony with the spirit of particular persons or occasion
- being precisely fitting and right
Alternative definition of the adjective fitting
- appropriate, or in keeping
Phrases with Fitting
- fitting room
- gas fitting
- pipe fitting
- steam fitting
- tight fitting
- tightly fitting
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fitting
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Various Authors
Covering all Making, Finishing, Fitting of Garments, Cutting to Measure of Skirts without Patterns, Bias Cutting, all Tucking, Shirring, Braiding, Belt Making, Flower and Bag Making, Rouleau Trimmings, Model Blouse Fashions, Setting and ...
by James T. Frane
Kafer fitting - a cast iron building drainage pipe fitting with a threaded-on hub for connecting to existing cast iron lines. Also called an insertable joint. kame - a geologic formation consisting of a short ridge of compressed sand and gravel ...
Volume 7 - Curve Fitting to Early Development of Programming Languages by Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent
Volume 7 - Curve Fitting to Early Development of Programming Languages Jack Belzer, Albert G. Holzman, Allen Kent...
INTRODUCTION The term curve fitting is used to describe any technique whereby a member is selected from some ...
by Zerong Wang, Uta Wille, Eusebio Juaristi
The Fitting Function must be Chosen with Care Equations with a larger number of variables are likely to provide a better fit to the data as compared to simpler ones. However, the combination of a large number of independent variables and a ...
by Francis D. K. Ching
pipe fitting A standard part, such as an elbow, union, or tee, for connecting two or more pipes. developed length The length ofa ...
Encyclopedia of Biometrics (2009)
I - Z. by Stan Z. Li
Figure 4 Full face model after fitting: (a) Fitted model overlayed on the face data, ( b) fitted model geometry, (c) corresponding geometry image, and (d) corresponding normal map. Face Recognition, 3D-Based. Figure 5 Haar wavelet analysis ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fitting
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fitting
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Brett Jordan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fitting
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of the Tap N Tee fitting
- Explanation - fitting
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Tyre repair services, including fitting and balancing
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = Ornamentation fitting work
- Fitting the Description
- Fitting the Description
Claudia Rankine reads an excerpt from her book "Citizen: An American Lyric."...
- The [Fitting Adjective] Bronies - Channel Updates and Ramblings
- Fitting the Description Fundraising Challenge
- The [Fitting Adjective] Bronies - The OTG Special
- The [Fitting Adjective] Bronies React to - Quality Control In the Fandom
- The [Fitting Adjective Bronies] Read: Culture Shock, Ch 1
- Fitting the Description: Confirming instead of Confuting the Stigmas
- Fitting And Description Of ARDrone2.0
- Winning the award for also being happy. Fitting adjective t
See also the pronunciation examples of Fitting!
Quotes about Fitting
They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason. (Ernest Hemingway)
more quotes about fitting...
Scrabble value of F4I1T1T1I1N1G2
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fitting to see it in context!