On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun flavoring
What does flavoring mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: flavorings
- something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts
- example: The cough syrup has a licorice flavoring.
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- alternative spelling: flavouring
- synonyms of flavoring: flavorer / flavourer / seasoner / seasoning
- more generic words: fixings / ingredient = food that is a component of a mixture in cooking
- more specific terms:
- cola extract = a flavoring extracted from the kola nut
- anchovy paste = paste made primarily of anchovies
- bouillon cube = a cube of evaporated seasoned meat extract
- condiment = a preparation (a sauce or relish or spice) to enhance flavor or enjoyment
- herb = aromatic potherb used in cookery for its savory qualities
- spice = any of a variety of pungent aromatic vegetable substances used for flavoring food
- peppermint oil = oil from the peppermint plant used as flavoring
- spearmint oil = an aromatic oil obtained from the spearmint plant
- lemon oil = fragrant yellow oil obtained from the lemon peel
- oil of wintergreen / wintergreen oil = oil or flavoring obtained from the creeping wintergreen or teaberry plant
- common salt / table salt / salt = white crystalline form of especially sodium chloride used to season and preserve food
- celery salt = ground celery seed and salt
- garlic salt = ground dried garlic and salt
- onion salt = ground dried onion and salt
- seasoned salt = combination of salt and vegetable extracts and spices and monosodium glutamate
- sour salt = crystals of citric acid used as seasoning
- gingerroot / ginger = pungent rhizome of the common ginger plant
- peppercorn / pepper = pungent seasoning from the berry of the common pepper plant of East India
- sassafras = dried root bark of the sassafras tree
- coriander seed / coriander = dried coriander seeds used whole or ground
- fennel seed = aromatic anis-scented seeds
- fenugreek seed / fenugreek = aromatic seeds used as seasoning especially in curry
- garlic / ail = aromatic bulb used as seasoning
- garlic chive = large flat leaves used as chive is used
- mustard seed = black or white seeds ground to make mustard pastes or powders
- nasturtium = flowers and seeds and leaves all used as flavorings
- turmeric = ground dried rhizome of the turmeric plant used as seasoning
- cardamom / cardamon / cardamum = aromatic seeds used as seasoning like cinnamon and cloves especially in pickles and barbecue sauces
- cayenne pepper / red pepper / cayenne = ground pods and seeds of pungent red peppers of the genus Capsicum
- chili powder = powder made of ground chili peppers mixed with e.g. cumin and garlic and oregano
- curry powder = pungent blend of cumin and ground coriander seed and turmeric and other spices
- paprika = a mild powdered seasoning made from dried pimientos
- angelica = candied stalks of the angelica plant
- almond extract = flavoring made from almonds macerated in alcohol
- anise seed / aniseed / anise = liquorice-flavored seeds, used medicinally and in cooking and liquors
- juniper berries = berrylike cone of a common juniper
- saffron = dried pungent stigmas of the Old World saffron crocus
- sesame seed / benniseed = small oval seeds of the sesame plant
- caraway seed = aromatic seeds of the caraway plant
- poppy seed = small grey seed of a poppy flower
- dill seed = seed of the dill plant used as seasoning
- celery seed = seed of the celery plant used as seasoning
- lemon extract = a flavoring made from (or imitating) lemons
- monosodium glutamate / MSG = white crystalline compound used as a food additive to enhance flavor
- vanilla bean = long bean-like fruit
- vanilla extract / vanilla = a flavoring prepared from vanilla beans macerated in alcohol
- sweetening / sweetener = something added to foods to make them taste sweeter
- mocha = a flavoring made from coffee mixed with chocolate
- cassareep = a flavoring made by boiling down the juice of the bitter cassava
Alternative definition of the noun flavoring
- Something that gives flavor, usually a food ingredient.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for flavoring
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Frank N. Kotsonis, Maureen A. Mackey
The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential 15 REGULATION OF FLAVOR INGREDIENTS INTRODUCTION DEFINITION OF THE TERM ...
The Science of Skinny (2012)
Start Understanding Your Body's Chemistry--and Stop Dieting Forever by Dee McCaffrey
The term natural flavoring refers to substances that are made in a laboratory that have the same or similar chemical formulas and flavors as a natural food, but are not derived from real foods as extracts are. They cannot contain any substances ...
by Harold Zeliger
Artificial vanilla flavoring is a solution of pure synthesized vanillin, 4-hydroxy-3- methoxybenzaldehyde. Mixtures of vanillin with other toxicants enhance mutagenic effects  and produce synergistic inhibition of lignocellulose degradation ...
Longevity Now (2013)
A Comprehensive Approach to Healthy Hormones, Detoxification, Super Immunity, Reversing Calcification, and Total Rejuvenation by David Wolfe
—Eth SCHLOSSER, FAST F000 NATION Artificial flavoring is a human-made creation used in processed food because over-processing destroys flavor. When you drink freshly made juice it needs no added flavors. But by the time apple juice, ...
Ethnic and Regional Recipes from the Cooks at the by Moosewood Collective
The characteristic flavoring is a sofffito, a sauce base of sauteed onion, carrot, and celery. Florence and Sienna are beautiful ...
Descriptions in Plain English of More Than 12,000 Ingredients Both Harmful and Desirable Found in Foods by Ruth Winter
5-HYDROXY-6-DODECENOIC ACID LACTONE 5-HYDROXY-6- DODECENOIC ACID LACTONE • Flavoring. EAF 1- HYDROXYETHYLIDENE-1,1 -DIPHOSPHONIC ACID • Flavoring. ASP HYDROXYLAMINE HCL • An antioxidant for fatty ...
A Reference Volume for All Requiring Quick Access to a Large Amount of Essential Data Regarding Chemicals, and Other Substances Used in Manufacturing and Laboratory Work by Francis Mills Turner
Uses: Flavoring. Fire hazard: None. Railroad shipping regulations: None. Opii Pulvis, U. S. P. Powdered opium. Opium Deodoratum, U. S. P. Deodorized opium .
by Graham A. Colditz
defines a natural flavoring agent as “the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring ...
Encyclopedia of Food Safety (2013)
Flavoring agents are composed of large and divergent groups of materials, ...
Complete Information About the Harmful and Desirable Ingredients Found in Cosmetics and Cosmeceuticals by Ruth Winter
and vanilla flavoring. Used on the skin as a bactericidal and fungicidal ointment. Has the same toxicity as phenol (extremely toxic). but causes more severe convulsions. DIMETHOXYDICGLYCOI. ' A solvent. See Glycols.
by Diagram Group
ratafia A flavoring made from bitter almonds. relish Aspicy sauce made with fruit or vegetables. rennet A substance containing the enzyme renin, extracted from the stomach lining of calves and used to coagulate milk for making cheese. rocket ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for flavoring
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about flavoring
Click on an item to view that photo:
Farley Flavoring Company, Marlow, New Hampshire
Farley Flavoring Company, Marlow, New Hampshire
French, J.A., Keene NH
Lakes and ponds - NH - Marlow
Buildings - NH - Marlow
Photograph of the Farley Flavoring Company building in Marlow NH, which is now the Christmas Tree Inn.
Keene Public Library and the Historical Society of Cheshire County
No known copyright restrictions.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about flavoring
Video shows what flavoring means. Something that gives flavor, usually a food ingredient.. Flavoring Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
See also the pronunciation examples of flavoring!
Quotes about flavoring
Why is icecream called icecream?
Instead of what it is?
Milk that is creamed,
With added sugar and flavoring...
To taste delicious after it is set to chill,
At a certain temperature.
Wouldn't it be easier to sell and order? (Lawrence S. Pertillar)
more quotes about flavoring...
Scrabble value of F4L1A1V4O1R1I1N1G2
The value of this 9-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of flavoring to see it in context!