Flesh appears in the following tongue twister:
- Freshly fried fresh flesh
Flesh appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- The risque gown marked a very brazen exposure of juicy flesh. (50 letters)
Flesh appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Flesh - saw Mom wash self!
- A rash self-warning: I sign in raw flesh, Sara!
- Semite films in a gross arch self-flesh crass organism lifetimes.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun flesh:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun flesh
- Definition of the verb flesh
- Phrases with Flesh
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Flesh
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Flesh
- Photos about Flesh
- Video language resources about Flesh
- Sign language
- Quotes about Flesh
- Scrabble value of F4L1E1S1H4
- Anagrams of FLESH
- Share this page
The word flesh is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun flesh
What does flesh mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fleshes
- the soft tissue of the body of a vertebrate: mainly muscle tissue and fat
- alternative names for the body of a human being
- example: the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of flesh: anatomy / bod / build / chassis / figure / form / frame / human body / material body / physical body / physique / shape / soma
- more generic terms: body / organic structure = the entire physical structure of an organism
- more specific terms:
- part of: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being; homo / human / human being / man = any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- a soft moist part of a fruit
Alternative definition of the noun flesh
- The soft tissue of the body, especially muscle and fat.
- [context: by extension] Bare arms, bare legs, bare torso.
- [archaic] Animal tissue regarded as food; meat.
- The human body as a physical entity.
- [religion] The mortal body of a human being, contrasted with the spirit or soul.
- [religion] The evil and corrupting principle working in man.
- The skin of a human or animal.
- The soft, often edible, parts of fruits or vegetables.
- A yellowish pink colour; the colour of some Caucasian human skin.
Definition of the verb flesh
What does flesh mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: fleshed | fleshing | fleshes
- remove adhering flesh from (hides) when preparing leather manufacture
Alternative definition of the verb flesh
- To bury (a sword, for example) in flesh.
- To put flesh on; to fatten.
- To add details.
- to remove the flesh from the skin during the making of leather.
- "Flesh" is a 1968 film directed by American filmmaker Paul Morrissey.
- "Flesh" is a 1932 black-and-white drama film directed by John Ford and starring Wallace Beery as a German wrestler. Some of the script was written by Moss Hart and an uncredited William Faulkner.
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, German Language
- art direction by Cedric Gibbons
- written by Moss Hart & William Faulkner
- cinematography by Arthur Edeson
- edited by William S. Gray
- music by Alfred Newman
- genres: Sports, Black-and-white, Drama
- released on (82 years ago)
- "Flesh" a.k.a. "Carne" is a 2013 short animated horror film written and directed by Carlos Alberto Gómez Salamanca.
- read more about Carne
- "Flesh" is a 2013 short film written and directed by Carlos Nigro.
- also known as Carne
- country: Brazil
- producer: Anny Fernandes
- executive producer: Anny Fernandes
- art direction by Diogo Balbino
- written by Carlos Nigro
- cinematography by Roberto Iuri
- edited by João Maria
- released in
Flesh is a fictional character from the 1991 film V.I. Warshawski.
Phrases with Flesh
Phrases starting with the word Flesh:
- flesh fly
- flesh out
- Flesh Flies
- flesh wound
- Flesh and Blood
- Flesh-Color Pincushion
Phrases ending with the word Flesh:
- to flesh
- goose flesh
- proud flesh
- in the flesh
- Pound of Flesh
- Press the Flesh
- Way of All Flesh
- Creating One Flesh
- Thorn in the flesh
Other phrase containing the word Flesh:
View more phrases with the word Flesh in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Flesh
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Gateway to Resurrection (2010)
by Maria Boulding osb
Flesh means yourself with all your heredity, not only your solidarity with the rest of the human race but with the particular,
Flesh is the clash of personalities, the chafing together of clay jars, which need the space of charity between them, ...
A Body of Practical Divinity Consisting of Above One Hundred and Seventy-six Sermons on the Shorter Catechism Composed by the Reverend Assembly of Divines at Westminster (1794)
With a Supplement of Some Sermons on Several Texts of Scripture Together with the Art of Divine Contentment ; to which is Added, Christ's Various Fulness by Thomas Watson
The flesh is a worse enemy than the devil, it is a bosom-traitor; an enemy within is worst. If there were no...
A Practical Guide on How to See in The Unseen Realm by Jonathan Welton
The idea that the spirit of a person is perfect while the person's soul/body comprise the evil flesh is a fundamentally flawed, erroneous teaching. The Bible does not even teach that we have perfected spirits or that our souls are evil.
Assuming a Body (2010)
Transgender and Rhetorics of Materiality by Gayle Salamon
Flesh is that which, by virtue of psychic investment and worldly engagement, we form our bodies into, rather than the stuff...
Flesh is the world's seduction of the body and the body's incorporation of the world into itself.
Flesh is an ultimate notion . . . it is not the union or compound of two substances, but thinkable by itself.
A Body of Practical Divinity Consisting of Above One Hundred and Seventy Six Sermons on the Lesser Catechism Composed by the Reverend Assembly of Divines at Westminster (1741)
With a Supplement of Some Sermons on Several Texts of Scripture to which is Added, the Art of Divine Contentment; Recommended to the Publishers, and Never Before Printed (except Once) in the Former Editions of this Book, Altho Printed Twenty Times by Itself by Thomas Watson
The Flesh is a worse Enemy than the Devil, it is a Bosom-traitor ; an Enemy within is worst. If there were no Devil to tempt,
The Flesh is an Enemy to Suffering; it will sooner make a Man a Courtier than a Martyr...Oh keep it under; put its Neck ...
by Dr. D. K. Olukoya
The flesh is a waster. It is not going to heaven and it...
The flesh is the seat of all the revolt against the Almighty.
Including the Various Orders, Genera, and Species
rxpxdhy,s, fleshy ; applied to the gelatinous and semi- transparent substance found in the simplest forms of living creatures. Sarcode' rma (Bot.) rife, mpxis, flesh, Uppx, (kin ; a genus of Algæ. Saroodio'tyon (Zool.) ai. fl, ra.pxit, ...
by Jean Pierre Prévost
The psalmists use the term "all flesh" when referring to all of humanity (65:2; 136: 25). They also use the word to distinguish between God and us: God has a nefesh and a much, but not a basar. It is not until the prologue of the Gospel of John ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
The flesh is reckoned delicate eating, and does not taste fishy, not- . withstanding its food. Ursus Arctos fuscus. Brown Bear. The flesh of this animal, in autumn, when it is excessively fat, is said to be most delicate food ; and that of the cubs still ...
Beeton's Dictionary of Every-day Gardening: constituting a popular cyclopædia of the theory and practice of horticulture. Embellished with coloured plates, etc (1874)
by Samuel Orchart BEETON
—Large, round, skin light orange next the sun, greenish-yellow in the shade ; flesh yellowish, crisp, sharply acid: November to March. A fruitsul variety and showy grower. Bedfordshire Foundling, K.—Very large, pale green when ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
FLESH, n. «. & v. a.~) Saxon ...
by George Nicholson
Fruit clear white, changin to amber when fully ripe, medium-sized, round; flesh flrm; avonr extremely rich and leasant; bunches long-cylindrical, closely set. An excellent, ear y Muscat Grape for growing in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Flesh
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Flesh
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Flesh
Click on an item to play that video:
- Idiom Flesh - "Holiday" (1981)
- Ed Esko on Whole Grains vs Animal Flesh | The Meaning of Peace | Macrobiotic Perspective
Ed's full talk: Pt 1...
- The Word Became Flesh: Discovering the Catholic Meaning of The Gospel of John
The Saint Paul Center for Biblical Theology, and Fullness of Truth, have teemed up to bring to San Antonio, and the rest of Texas, a phenomenal conference on ...
- Flesh Meaning
Video shows what flesh means. The soft tissue of the body, especially muscle and fat.. The skin of a human or animal.. Bare arms, bare legs, bare torso.. flesh ...
- What Is The Definition Of Flesh eating bacteria - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Neither fish, flesh, nor good red herring Meaning
Video shows what neither fish, flesh, nor good red herring means. Unsuitable for anyone or anything, unfit for any purpose.. Neither fish, flesh, nor good red ...
- Anael - Language of the Soul - 3 - Who Made Thee Flesh
Mimes have called, arcanely rhythmic Takes a squall to see the sun Sights before us soon transform us Each joined in this quest Time has solved every ...
- "Written in Skin - Flesh As A Feminist Language Frontier" Presentation by Stefanie Elrick
A presentation given by Stefanie Elrick for the "Power & Protest" sociology lecture at Manchester University 24th October 2014. Using her own live art piece ...
- GLOBUS ESL FLESH
- What Is The Definition Of Flesh eating bacteria - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Feast for Flesh/ Prep the noun
See also the pronunciation examples of Flesh!
Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence in Sign Language
This is a sign language interpretation of the Advent or Christmas song, Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence delivered with white gloved hands in a black light.
Quotes about Flesh
In flesh and blood
you continually smile at me,
in flesh and blood
at times you awake a kind of glare,
you walk past as a picture
that brings a kind of joy,
in flesh and blood. (Gert Strydom)
more quotes about flesh...
Scrabble value of F4L1E1S1H4
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FLESH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Flesh!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Flesh to see it in context!