The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun floater:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun floater
- Phrases with Floater
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Floater
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Floater
- Photos about Floater
- Video language resources about Floater
- Scrabble value of F4L1O1A1T1E1R1
- Anagrams of FLOATER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun floater
What does floater mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: floaters
- spots before the eyes caused by opaque cell fragments in the vitreous humor and lens
- example: floaters seem to drift through the field of vision
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of floater: musca volitans / muscae volitantes / spots
- more generic word: symptom = any sensation or change in bodily function that is experienced by a patient and is associated with a particular disease
- a debt instrument with a variable interest rate tied to some other interest rate (e.g. the rate paid by T-bills)
- a wanderer who has no established residence or visible means of support
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of floater: clochard / drifter / vagabond / vagrant
- more generic terms: have-not / poor person = a person with few or no possessions; bird of passage / roamer / rover / wanderer = someone who leads a wandering unsettled life
- more specific words:
- an employee who is reassigned from job to job as needed
- a voter who votes illegally at different polling places in the same election
- a swimmer who floats in the water
- an object that floats or is capable of floating
- an insurance policy covering loss of movable property (e.g. jewelry) regardless of its location
Alternative definition of the noun floater
- Agent noun of float; one who floats.
- An employee of a company who does not have fixed tasks to do but fills in wherever needed, usually when someone else is away.
- A threadlike speck in the visual field that seems to move, possibly caused by degeneration of the vitreous humour.
- An "extra" male at a dinner party, or a young friend of the hostess, whose assignment is to entertain the female guests.
- (insurance) A policy covering property at more than one location or which may be in transit.
- (police jargon) A floating corpse picked up from a body of water.
- [sports] An unaffiliated player.
- [surfing] A maneuver in which a surfer transitions above the unbroken face of the wave onto the lip, or on top of the breaking section of the wave.
- [vulgar] A piece of faeces that floats.
- [two-up, lang=en] A coin which does not spin when thrown in the air.
- Someone who attaches themselves to a group of people, much to the dismay of that group, and repeatedly shows up to participate in group activities despite attempts to get rid of, or “flush,” that person.
Specialised definition of the noun floater
Glossary of sports / surfing
a move in which the surfer rides the very top of the wave (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Floater is a musical group.
- genres: Hard rock, Heavy metal, Alternative rock, Rock music
- albums: "Acoustics", "Alter", "Angels in the Flesh and Devils in the Bone", "Burning Sosobra", "Glyph", "Live At The Aladdin", "Sink", "The Great Release", "Stone By Stone", "Floater Lives", "Acoustic Live at the WOW", "Angels in the Flesh... Radio Edits", "Danny Boy plus three", "Wake"
- official website: www.floater.com
- "Floater" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Kalle Koivisto
- "Floater" is a composition.
- music by Ken Ishii
- "Floater" is a book written by Joseph Koenig.
- language: English Language
- genre: Fiction
- released in (29 years ago)
- award: - Edgar Award for Best First Novel by an American Author nomination for Joseph Koenig
- "Floater" is a book by Lucius Shepard.
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 2003-09
Phrases with Floater
- Pie floater
- Flat Floater
- Lake Floater
- Brook Floater
- Gaspe Floater
- Giant Floater
- Green Floater
- Yukon Floater
- Barrel Floater
- Oregon Floater
- Winged Floater
- Alewife Floater
- Eastern Floater
- Florida Floater
- Western Floater
- Inflated Floater
- Triangle Floater
- Woebegone Floater
- California Floater
View more phrases with the word Floater in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Floater
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Principles, Mathematics, Algorithms by Yuh-Dauh Lyuu
Floating-Rate Tranches A form of pro rata bonds are floaters and inverse floaters whose combined coupon does not exceed the collateral coupon. A floater is a class whose coupon rate varies directly with the change in the reference rate, ...
Theory, Practice, and Applications by Robert Jarrow
An inverse floater is a fixed income security with a maturity date τ, a notional of 1 dollar (without loss of generality), and a coupon rate of c. Its coupon payments are reduced as an underlying floating rate increases (this is the inverse floating ...
by H. Deutsch
A range floater is a deposit or note that accrues interest on days when the underlying S is within a predefined range between S1 and S2 and accrues zero on days when the underlying is outside that range. Range floaters are usually principal ...
A floater is an inland marine transportation policy which may be extended to cover property kept in specific places or anywhere found. This policy includes no transit or transportation coverage whatsoever. Fifth, the form of this policy is almost ...
by Chris Anderson
The floater is a block container element (like Section) that contains only other block elements. To host our image, we use BlockUIContainer, which allows us to embed any UI control in a document: Columns and PageLevel Formatting The final ...
Communication on the Structure and Economy of the Greenland Whale, Made at the Royal Institution of Great Britain (1829)
by J. Harwood
hollow iron floater is a better conductor of heat than water, when the heat has to descend, and, therefore, the appendage is worse than useless. The iron heater to be put in and out at intervals is almost too ridiculous to notice, because, at the ...
But even a hollow iron floater is a better conductor of heat than water, when the heat has to descend, and, therefore, the appendage is worse than useless. The iron heater to be put in and out at intervals is almost too ridiculous to notice, ...
Asset-Backed Securities (1996)
by Anand K. Bhattacharya, Frank J. Fabozzi, CFA
The HEL floater is a unique structure that allows investors the opportunity to invest in securities with coupons determined by more acceptable and liquid indices despite the fact that collateral cash flows are a function of another index.
by Paul Wilmott
Inverse floater is a floatingrate interestrate contract where coupons go down as interest rates go up. The relationship is linear (up to any cap or floor) and not an inverse one. Knockin/out option are types of barrier option forwhich the payoff is ...
by John E. Adamson, Amanda Morrison
The term floater means that the pro— tection floats with, or follows, the property. Rather than have the policy written to cover all the insured's personal property, it also is possible to contract for coverage of scheduled (specifically identified) ...
Fixed Income Securities (2010)
Valuation, Risk, and Risk Management by Pietro Veronesi
Decomposing Inverse Floaters into a Portfolio of Basic Securities An inverse floater is a security that pays a lower coupon as interest rates go up ( hence the name inverse floater). For this to work, we need to establish a fixed reference ...
Financial Lexicon (2004)
A Compendium of Financial Definitions, Acronyms, and Colloquialisms by E. Banks
RANGE FLOATER See RANGE FLOATING RATE NOTE. RANGE FLOATING RATE NOTE (FRN) A STRUCTURED NOTE that provides the investor with an enhanced COUPON if the floating INTEREST RATE reference trades within a ...
British and American by Eric Partridge
by John F. Marshall
leveraged floater A floating rate note in which the payoff has been levered up by ...
by John Downes, Jordan Goodman
INVERSE FLOATER derivative instrument whose coupon rate is ...
INVERSE FLOATER derivative instrument whose coupon rate is inversely related to some multiple of a specified market rate of interest. Typically a cap and floor are placed on the coupon. As interest rates go down, the amount of interest the ...
Made in North America by Robert A. Slade
Pictured is an original PARDEE-FRIEND KENT FLOATER that had the funnel- shaped T-bearing props with red glass bead spacerbearings. The lure had large, protruding glass eyes with yellow irises and black center pupils. Lure picture is ...
by Robert Bly
Floater – Similar to a popup or popunder; however, it is not blocked by ...
Subjective health care viewed with an objective eye by Joseph Segen
'floater'. Paranormal ...
by Gary L. Gastineau, Mark P. Kritzman
Also called Maximum Rate Notes, Bull Floater, Bull Floating-Rate Note, IN verse FLOating Security (INFLOS), Indexed INverse FLOating-Rate Security (Indexed INFLOS), Yield Curve Note, Inverse Floater. See also Bull and Bear Notes, ...
by Joseph Segen
floater. Forensic pathology A popular term for a body that rises due to bacterial putrefaction and gas production, often accompanied by a nauseating stench; putrefaction is more rapid in fresh, stagnant water, slower.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Floater
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Floater
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: heydn
Photo credit: brandonink2001
Apparently didn't like staying in the raft.
Photo credit: compujeramey
Photo credit: pylbug
Photo credit: Chris Winters
Photo credit: cogdogblog
Photo credit: davidburn
Thistle seed, presumably?
Photo credit: treehouse1977
At Southford Falls State Park in Southford, CT.
Photo credit: -= Bruce Berrien =-
Oh, yeah, and he can levitate.
Photo credit: linspiration777
Taking time out from spawning
Photo credit: littlehuw
via Instagram ift.tt/1KMAS9w
Photo credit: astrangelyisolatedplace
- Damo Floater
Photo credit: Dave Hunt - Sydney
- Ocean floater
Photo credit: stillwellmike
- Tru floater
Photo credit: bzo
- Big Floater, Chongqing
Photo credit: triplefivechina
- Photon Field Floater
CZJ MC Flektogon f2.4/35mm
Photo credit: onigiri-kun
- Cardboard Boat Regatta: Introducing "Floater"
Photo credit: woodleywonderworks
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Floater
Click on an item to play that video:
- Floater Meaning
Video shows what floater means. Agent noun of float; one who or that which floats.. An employee of a company who does not have fixed tasks to do but fills in ...
- Team WOD Floater Explanation 2013
- What Is The Definition Of Floater - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Spy Training - Floater [Spy Dictionary]
- 2160 Minecraft Floater (Description for shot details) For Gandhi
- What Is The Definition Of Floater - Medical Dictionary Free Online
View more videos about Pie floater.
See also the pronunciation examples of Floater!
Scrabble value of F4L1O1A1T1E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FLOATER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Floater!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Floater to see it in context!