The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun flourish:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb flourish:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun flourish
- Definition of the verb flourish
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Flourish
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Flourish
- Photos about Flourish
- Video language resources about Flourish
- Quotes about Flourish
- Scrabble value of F4L1O1U1R1I1S1H4
- Anagrams of FLOURISH
- Share this page
Flourish (en embellishment or ornamentation) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun flourish
What does flourish mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: flourishes
- a showy gesture
- an ornamental embellishment in writing
- a display of ornamental speech or language
- the act of waving
- (music) a short lively tune played on brass instruments
- example: he entered to a flourish of trumpets
- domain: music
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of flourish: fanfare / tucket
- more generic terms: air / line / melodic line / melodic phrase / melody / strain / tune = a succession of notes forming a distinctive sequence
Alternative definition of the noun flourish
- A dramatic gesture such as the waving of a flag.
- An ornamentation.
- [music] A ceremonious passage such as a fanfare.
- [architecture] An unnecessary, decorative embellishment, on a building.
Definition of the verb flourish
What does flourish mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: flourished | flourishing | flourishes
- grow vigorously
- example: The business is going to flourish
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Theme] [Verb] The beer foamed | The voices echoed | Unicorns don't exist Verbs of Existence: coexist, correspond, depend, dwell, exist, extend, languish, linger, live, loom, lurk, persevere, persist, predominate, prevail, prosper, remain, reside, shelter, stay, thrive, tower, wait [Theme] [Verb] [Locative Preposition] [Location] Unicorns don't exist on Earth [Agent - being] [Verb] on [Patient] Cynthia breakfasted on peaches | Cynthia gorged on peaches Verbs of Ingesting: exist, feed, gorge, live, prosper, subsist, survive, thrive
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of flourish: boom / expand / thrive
- more generic word: grow = become larger, greater, or bigger
- more specific words:
- make steady progress; be at the high point in one's career or reach a high point in historical significance or importance
- move or swing back and forth
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of flourish: brandish / wave
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
- more specific word: wigwag = send a signal by waving a flag or a light according to a certain code
- entailment: hold / take hold = have or hold in one's hands or grip
Alternative definition of the verb flourish
- [intransitive] To thrive or grow well.
- [intransitive] To prosper or fare well.
- [intransitive] To be in a period of greatest influence.
- [transitive] To make bold, sweeping movements with.
"Flourish" is a 2006 film written, produced and directed by Kevin Palys and starring Jennifer Morrison, Jesse Spencer, Leighton Meester, and Ian Brennan.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Jennifer Morrison
- genres: Mystery, Thriller, Indie film, Crime Thriller, Comedy Thriller, Drama
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Flourish" is a musical album of Katie McNally.
- released in
- "Flourish" is a musical album of Nick Hennies.
- released on
Flourish: A flourish is a juggling club trick in which the performer spins the club around his fingers. The club actually makes two revolutions around its center of gravity, once on the medial side of the juggler's hand and once on the lateral side.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Flourish
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Historical Origins, Style and Philosophy by Nick Jamilla
The simple flourish is the flipping of the lightsaber hilt by dropping the point, and flipping it back, and then up and forward by...
The complex flourish is a combination of martially ...
The Abyss (2016)
by James Bèyor
All fear needs to flourish is that feelings be distrusted and for law to make all ...
Enhancing Learning and Understanding by Alan Booth
Creating the conditions in which high-quality learning can flourish is the first priority of teaching in any subject. As Biggs (1999: 25) remarks, 'the context that we set up is at the core of teaching', Whilst encouraging student ...
A Composer's Guide by Michael Sweet
or musical flourish is a short musical phrase or cue (usually less than 10 seconds) that emphasizes a gameplay event. A stinger can play on top of whatever music is currently playing or it can play by itself, depending on its function within the ...
Three Volume Set Volume I A-F Volume II G-P Volume III Q-Z by Gordon Williams
flourish 'To enjoy a woman in a hasty manner, to take a flyer' (Grose 1788). Ex standard sense of brandishing a ...
The Definitive Guide to All Flower Essences, their Making and Uses by Clare G. Harvey
The Flourish Formulas and the Range of Light Flower Essences are Richard's and ...
by Poinsot, Maffeo
A flourish after the signature ending in a point denotes the aggressively militant ( Robespierre). Yatagan-shaped—the combative fighter (Henri Rochefort). Vertical or almost —brain predominant (Pasteur), with signs of will-power if it thickens, ...
Architects, Carvers, Engravers, Modellers, Painters, Sculptors, Statuaries, and Workers in Bronze, Gold, Ivory, and Silver, with Three Chronological Tables by Karl Julius Sillig
mian Statuaries, probably flourish about this iry, ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
meal, powder, speckle, sprinkle flour dough pasta flour factory mill flour from a cereal grain farina flour glue paste flourish abound, adorn(ment), advance, bloom , blossom, boast, boom, brag, brandish(ing), dash, decoration, develop, display, ...
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Flourish, flur'rtsh, an ornamental scrawl with the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Flourish
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Flourish
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: mohapatr
Photo credit: -Jérôme-
Photo credit: Nic's events
Photo credit: Benjamin Dobson
Photo credit: collectmoments
An exuberant corpse.
Photo credit: Paul Wicks
Photo credit: Jesse Crockett
Photo credit: bixentro
Photo credit: tomsbrain
- Leafy spiral flourish
A leafy spiral flourish, created using Illustrator.
Photo credit: Glow Graphics
- Flourish Conference 2009 UIC Banner
Photo credit: nixternal
- Flourish Conference 2009 Panel Audience
Photo credit: nixternal
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Flourish
Click on an item to play that video:
- Snowglobe Card Flourish // VERBAL Explanation
- Fly By MegaMagicWizard TUTORIAL (500 likes / 5k views) card flourish explanation
Official fan page...
- Flourish Meaning
Video shows what flourish means. To thrive or grow well.. To prosper or fare well.. To be in a period of greatest influence.. Flourish Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Flyer Flourish Explanation.
- Weakness Flourish Explanation
- Flourish Definition TPH
- The Meaning of Flourish
- ESL Vocabulary : flourish
- ESL for Beginners - ESL through Pictures - flourish, ignite, imprint etc. - English Lesson 142
Please learn English without your language. SCRIPT flame The candle is flaming. The match is flaming. flourish Sunflowers are flourishing. Tulips are ...
- Flourish of Fire (Read the video's description.)
- ESL Vocabulary : flourish
See also the pronunciation examples of Flourish!
Quotes about Flourish
Scrabble value of F4L1O1U1R1I1S1H4
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine