Fool appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Drab as a fool, aloof as a bard.
- Drab as a fool, as aloof as a bard.
- Nor I, fool, ah no? We won halo -- of iron.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fool:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb fool:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fool
- Definition of the verb fool
- Phrases with Fool
- Printed books with definitions for Fool
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fool
- Photos about Fool
- Videos about Fool
- Sign language
- Quotes about Fool
- Scrabble value of F4O1O1L1
- Anagrams of FOOL
- Share this page
The word fool is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fool
What does fool mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fools
- a person who lacks good judgment
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of fool: muggins / sap / saphead / tomfool
- more generic words: simple / simpleton = a person lacking intelligence or common sense
- more specific terms:
- ass = a pompous fool
- buffoon / clown = a rude or vulgar fool
- flibbertigibbet / foolish woman = a female fool
- fucker = a stupid despised man
- goofball / fathead / jackass / cuckoo / goose / bozo / goof / twat / zany = a man who is a stupid incompetent fool
- meshuggeneh / meshuggener = a crazy fool
- morosoph = a learned fool
- putz = a fool
- wally = a silly and inept person
- a person who is gullible and easy to take advantage of
- a professional clown employed to entertain a king or nobleman in the Middle Ages
Alternative definition of the noun fool
- [pejorative] A person with poor judgment or little intelligence.
- [historic, dated] A jester; a person whose role was to entertain a sovereign and the court.
- Someone who very much likes something specified.
- synonym: gobshite
- A type of dessert made of puréed fruit and custard or cream.
- [often, capitalized, 'Fool'] A particular card in a tarot deck.
Definition of the verb fool
What does fool mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: fooled | fooling | fools
- make a fool or dupe of
- spend frivolously and unwisely
- lexical domain: Consumption - verbs of eating and drinking
- synonyms of fool: dissipate / fool away / fritter / fritter away / frivol away / shoot
- more generic words: consume / squander / ware / waste = spend extravagantly
- entailment: consume / deplete / eat / eat up / exhaust / run through / use up / wipe out = use up
- fool or hoax
- example: You can't fool me!
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] I forced him [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] [Proposition, object control with infinitive] I forced him to come [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] into [Proposition, object control with -ing] I forced him into coming [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Patient] into [Proposition, not sentential clause] I forced John into the chairmanship
Force Verbs (with the same syntax): allure, annoy, blackmail, bluff, bribe, bully, cajole, cheat, con, deceive, delude, draw, dupe, ensnare, entrap, flatter, frighten, guide, harass, harry, hijack, hoodwink, hustle, influence, lure, manipulate, organize, panic, seduce, set, shame, shock, stimulate, talk, tease, terrify, trap, trick, wheedle.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of fool: befool / cod / dupe / gull / put on / put one across / put one over / slang / take in
- more generic terms: betray / deceive / lead astray = cause someone to believe an untruth
- more specific terms: pull the leg of / kid = tell false information to for fun
- indulge in horseplay
Fool a.k.a. Libreville International Airport: Libreville Leon M'ba International Airport is an airport situated in Libreville, Gabon. It is the main international airport in the country.
- also known as Libreville Leon M'ba International Airport, Libreville Leon M Ba Airport, Libreville Airport, Leon M'Ba International Airport
- part of Gabon
Who is Fool?
Fool a.k.a. Beau Falloon is a rugby league player for the Gold Coast Titans in the National Rugby League. He plays as a hooker, and began his career with the South Sydney Rabbitohs. He joined the Gold Coast Titans in 2012.
- read more about Beau Falloon
Fool is a musical group.
- The Fool is a fictional character from the play King Lear.
- Fool a.k.a. Booby is a fictional film character.
- read more about Booby
- "Fool" is a rock song included on Shakira's 2001 album Laundry Service. The song talks about a girl who's always being hurt by her boyfriend, but despite she still loves him. Although the track was never released as a single worlwide, it was in Brazil, where it reached #1, being the soundtrack to the soap-opera O beijo do vampiro. Fool was the third most successful song off Laundry service in that country.
- "Fool" is a song by the English alternative rock band Mansun. The song was written by band-leader Paul Draper. It was recorded and produced by Hugh Padgham with co-producer Michael Hunter during sessions for the group's third studio album. The song was released as the third and final single in early 2001 from the group's third album, Little Kix. The single disappointed commercially reaching the low peak of #28 on the UK Singles Chart during the typically quiet post-Christmas singles market.
- music and lyrics by Paul Draper
- "Fool" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Fool" is a composition.
- "Fool" is a musical single of Sue Merchant.
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Fool" is a composition.
- "FOOL" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Fool" is a musical album of Kasper Bjørke.
- released on
- "Fool" is a musical EP of Luke Collison.
- released on (10 years ago)
"Fool" is the eleventh novel by Christopher Moore, released on February 10, 2009.
- language: English Language
- genres: Absurdist fiction, Comedy
- released on (6 years ago)
"Fool" is a film, directed by Nam Gi-nam.
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- genres: Comedy, East Asian cinema, World cinema, Drama
- released on (30 years ago)
- Fool: There are several distinct, although overlapping categories of fool as a stock character in creative works and folklore: simpleton fool, clever fool, and serendipitous fool.
- Fool is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
- Fool a.k.a. Foolish Love is a TV program.
- read more about Foolish Love
Phrases with Fool
Phrases starting with the word Fool:
- fool away
- Fool About
- fool's cap
- fool around
- fool's gold
- Fool's mate
- Fool's Onion
- fool's errand
- fool's parsley
- Fool to Oneself
- fool's paradise
Phrases ending with the word Fool:
Other phrases containing the word Fool:
View more phrases with the word Fool in thesaurus!
Printed books with definitions for Fool
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Idler (1896)
The Humorous Fool is the fool who never amuses anybody except himself.
by Eliza Cook
The Stupid Fool is the acme and crown, the ne plus ultra of foolishness. This is that sublimity of...
by Jim Larsen
The FOOL is an alchemist, transforming fear into opportunity. The FOOL is willing, if necessary, to go it alone.
GROWING WISE DAY BY DAY (2014)
by Thomas J. Sica
The fool is the person who seems to know everything about anything, yet has no real desire to learn something.
by Eliphas Levi
Galileo was not condemned by the Church, but by the fools who, unfortunately, belonged to the Church. Folly is a wild beast which has the composure of innocence; it assassinates without remorse. The fool is the bear in La Fontaine's fable; ...
by Peter Balin
Above the Fool is a bright white light, and behind him The Fool to the left of the card, the upper portion of the sun's disk. In front of the Jaguar's jaw, on the plinth of the Sorcerer's platform, is the figure of an old man navigating a canoe in which ...
by Blake Snyder
The fool is that side of us that knows the truth of what we speak, but may be unable to convince others.
Homeopathic Psychology (1995)
Personality Profiles of the Major Constitutional Remedies by Philip M. Bailey
The Fool is a fascinating archetype, since it combines the contradictory aspects of idiocy, wisdom, innocence and the Trickster. It is thus a...
One classic example of the Fool is the one who pops up in so many of Shakespeare's plays. (In 'Two ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fool
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fool
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Fool
Click on an item to play that video:
- Elsword Kr Aprils Fool Event Explanation
- Demand Pull Inflation Definition That Economists Use To Fool You
- Fool Meaning
Video shows what fool means. A person with poor judgment or little intelligence.. A jester; a person whose role was to entertain a sovereign and the court (or ...
- Fool's cap Meaning
Video shows what fool's cap means. A cap, usually brightly coloured with bells and tassels, as worn by a court jester or fool.. Fool's cap Meaning. How to ...
- Flannelled fool Meaning
Video shows what flannelled fool means. A cricketer (from his white flannel trousers).. Flannelled fool Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Fool's gold Meaning
Video shows what fool's gold means. A mineral or other substance often mistaken for gold, mainly used for iron pyrite.. Fool's gold Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Fool's errand Meaning
Video shows what fool's errand means. A foolish undertaking, especially one that is purposeless, fruitless, nonsensical, or certain to fail.. Such an undertaking ...
- The Book of Fools Part II:The Definition of a Fool
TBOFPTII is the highly anticipated sequel from author Jess Write Jones. This is the second novel in #TheFoolishSeries. #TheFoolishSeries is available on ...
- Pet Fool Gya New Dehati Rasiya Song | Double Meaning Comedy | HD DJ Mix Song | 2014 |
Album - Harami Sharabi Singer : Shafi Kureshi, Pushpa,Hema Dhyani Audio Label - Hitesh Cassettes Vendor : GoBindas Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
- Fool's paradise Meaning
Video shows what fool's paradise means. A state of happiness due to illusion or false hope.. Fool's paradise Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- New meaning to indian flag by a fool
This happended in The mid part of kerala and was captured by an amatuer viedo grapher.
- There's no fool like an old fool Meaning
Video shows what there's no fool like an old fool means. If a person does not develop wisdom with age, then his or her foolishness is all the more obvious and ...
- Fool's mate Meaning
Video shows what fool's mate means. The quickest possible checkmate in the game of chess.. fool's mate synonyms: two-move checkmate. Fool's mate Meaning ...
- 20140622 - Definition of a Fool
- Rich Fool Bible Study Explanation
- Greater fool theory Meaning
Video shows what greater fool theory means. The theory of making money by buying something for the sole reason of selling it to someone else for a higher ...
- Acting a fool in forbidden city and moat explanation
- Fool's Paradise Urban Canvas Same Shape, Different Meaning
- 5-2-15 THE DEFINITION OF AN IDIOT!! " Fool "
- A Fool's Paradise - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- AGENDA 21 PUSHERS CAUGHT CONSPIRING TO CHANGE LANGUAGE TO FOOL THE PUBLIC AND FURTHER THEIR AGENDA.
- Relangi Speaks Japan Language To Fool Ramana Reddy
Akkineni Nageswara Rao, Savitri's Aradhana Movie Comedy Scenes Starring: Akkineni Nageswara Rao, Savitri, Relangi, Ramana Reddy Music by Saluri ...
- A Fool's Errand - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Language Learning Tip #5 - Don't Fool Yourself Into Thinking That You're Fluent When You're Not
- Wyrd Sisters - Fool's Language
"Wyrd Sisters, the play" at Holladay Arts--October 23rd and 29th.
- Quelladrive 3 Fool for your stockings (language alert)
Snooty fox Wakefield. zz top cover.
See also the pronunciation examples of Fool!
Fool's Gold - One Direction in Sign Language
Quotes about Fool
A fool who knows he is a fool has a little intelligence, but a fool that thinks he is intelligent is really a fool.
more quotes about fool...
Scrabble value of F4O1O1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine