The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb foreground:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun foreground
- Definition of the verb foreground
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for foreground
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for foreground
- Photos about foreground
- Video language resources about foreground
- Quotes about foreground
- Scrabble value of F4O1R1E1G2R1O1U1N1D2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun foreground
What does foreground mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: foregrounds
- the part of a scene that is near the viewer
- (computer science) a window for an active application
- domain: computer science / computing
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: window = a rectangular part of a computer screen that contains a display different from the rest of the screen
- part of: CRT screen / screen = the display that is electronically created on the surface of the large end of a cathode-ray tube
Alternative definition of the noun foreground
- The elements of an image which lie closest to the picture plane.
- The subject of an image, often depicted at the bottom in a two-dimensional work.
- [computing] the application the user is currently interacting with; the application window that appears in front of all others.
Definition of the verb foreground
What does foreground mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: foregrounded | foregrounding | foregrounds
- move into the foreground to make more visible or prominent
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for foreground
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Critique as Uncertainty (2014)
by Ole Skovsmose
A spoiled foreground is a dramatic learning obstacle, and spoiling a foreground is a sociopolitical act.
education, students should be involved in meaning production, and each student's foreground is an essential resource for this production.
The Art Journal (1860)
The foreground is a cornfield of some extent, bounded towards the right by a wooded eminence, while the left section is open, showing a succession of distances so happily expressive of taste, that when the eye is led to the veiled horizon it is ...
Around Selinsgrove (2008)
by Jim Campbell
The foreground is the southeast corner of Water and Pine Streets looking north. The brick building—severely damaged, but still standing—is the Methodist church. Completely lost in the blaze was Bergstresser's tannery to the left of the church.
All the References from African Swallows to Zoot by Darl Larsen
In the immediate foreground is a skull, complete with a very obvious join where the skull was cut to access the brain, post mortem. This prop, then, is likely from a medical school or the like.
by Binh Nguyen
html foreground A conceptual location in a ...
The A to Z Desktop Reference of Photoshop by Philip Andrews
0, CS, CS2, CS3, CS4 Photoshop bases many of its drawing, painting and filter effects on two colors – the foreground and background colors. The currently selected foreground ...
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
Both forms and colors become more and more distinct in approaching the foreground; and effect of atmosphere and distance depends on careful study of these gradations. Even a tree, house, or man, a few hundred yards away, must show its ...
Adeline's Art Dictionary (1891)
Containing a Complete Index of All Terms Used in Art, Architecture, Heraldry, and Archæology by Jules Adeline
Foreground. (Paint.) That portion of a picture on which the objects ...
by Theodore Libbey
is tonal, the foreground ( trumpet and flutes) atonal; in Central Park in the Dark, the background is atonal, while familiar tunes occupy the foreground. O In the score to The Unanswered ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for foreground
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about foreground
Click on an item to view that photo:
You can barely make it out but there's a human and a dog lying down in the snow just at the top of that ridge.
Photo credit: kizzzbeth
Photo credit: sohumb
Photo credit: Hakim_Bey
Photo credit: Urbanthink
from one of the Bow-Loops in King John's Castle
Photo credit: krooooop
Photo credit: glasseyes view
Photo credit: rebelxtned
Photo credit: otama
Photo credit: Et-Zeichen
Photo credit: Iain Farrell
- Lagoon Foreground
Photo credit: rebelxtned
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about foreground
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of foreground!
Quotes about foreground
When I started making my own records, I had this idea of drowning out the singer and putting the rest in the foreground. It was the background that interested me. (Brian Eno)
more quotes about foreground...
Scrabble value of F4O1R1E1G2R1O1U1N1D2
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine