Fragment appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- The July sun caused a fragment of black pine wax to ooze on the velvet quilt. (61 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun fragment:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun fragment
- Definition of the verb fragment
- Phrases with Fragment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fragment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fragment
- Photos about Fragment
- Video language resources about Fragment
- Quotes about Fragment
- Scrabble value of F4R1A1G2M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun fragment
What does fragment mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: fragments
- a piece broken off or cut off of something else
- example: a fragment of rock
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- more generic words: part / piece = a portion of a natural object
- more specific terms:
- flake / fleck / scrap / chip / bit = a small fragment of something broken off from the whole
- brickbat = a fragment of brick used as a weapon
- clinker / cinder = a fragment of incombustible matter left after a wood or coal or charcoal fire
- clast = a constituent fragment of a clastic rock
- ember / coal = a hot fragment of wood or coal that is left from a fire and is glowing or smoldering
- filing = a fragment rubbed off by the use of a file
- shaving / paring / sliver = a thin fragment or slice (especially of wood) that has been shaved from something
- restriction fragment = the fragment of DNA that is produced by cleaving DNA with a restriction enzyme
- scraping = a fragment scraped off of something and collected
- spall / spawl = a fragment broken off from the edge or face of stone or ore and having at least one thin edge
- spark = a small fragment of a burning substance thrown out by burning material or by friction
- a broken piece of a brittle artifact
- an incomplete piece
Alternative definition of the noun fragment
- A part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing.
- [grammar] A sentence not containing a subject or a predicate.
Definition of the verb fragment
What does fragment mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: fragmented | fragmenting | fragments
- break or cause to break into pieces
- example: The plate fragmented
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of fragment: break up / fragmentise / fragmentize
- more generic terms: break / come apart / fall apart / separate / split up = become separated into pieces or fragments
- more specific words:
- atomise / atomize = break up into small particles
- comminute / crunch / grind / bray / mash = reduce to small pieces or particles by pounding or abrading
- pound = break down and crush by beating, as with a pestle
- sunder = break apart or in two, using violence
- splinter / sliver = break up into splinters or slivers
- rag = break into lumps before sorting
- crumb = break into crumbs
- brecciate = break into breccia
- crush = break into small pieces
- grate / grind = make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together
Fragment is a record label.
- official website: www.fragmentmusic.net
- "Fragment" is a musical album of Behind the Scenes.
- also known as Fragment (bonus disc: Fragment[ed]), Fragment [Ed]
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Fragment" is a musical album of Inoue Kiyonobu.
- released on (13 years ago)
- "Fragment" is a musical album of Moving Reef.
- released in
- "Fragment" is a musical EP of Organon.
- "Fragment" is a musical EP of Library Tapes.
- released on (7 years ago)
"Fragment", is a science-based thriller by bestselling author and screenwriter, Warren Fahy. The novel focuses on a crew of young scientists from a reality TV show who must try to survive when their research vessel, the Trident, lands on Henders Island, where predatory creatures have been living and evolving for over half a billion years. Producer Lloyd Levin optioned Fahy's screenplay adaptation of Fragment for a major motion picture. Pandemonium, Fahy's sequel to Fragment, was published in March 2013.
- language: English Language
- genres: Science Fiction, Thriller
"Fragment": When Lloyd discovers a grotesque snuff film featuring a beautiful naked woman being murdered, he is compelled to bring her back to life. Enchanted, he resurrects her night after night. However, when it appears that he has also unleashed a dark malevolent force, Lloyd begins to fear for not only his own sanity but life.
- genres: Horror, Thriller
- released in (6 years ago)
- Fragment: In computer graphics, a fragment is the data necessary to generate a single pixel's worth of a drawing primitive in the frame buffer.
- Fragment: In mathematical logic, a fragment of a logical language or theory is a subset of this logical language obtained by imposing syntactical restrictions on the language. Hence, the well-formed formulae of the fragment are a subset of those in the original logic. However, the semantics of the formulae in the fragment and in the logic coincide, and any formula of the fragment can be expressed in the original logic.
Phrases with Fragment
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Fragment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
is a potential biomarker for hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma Research findings, 'The complement component C3a fragment is a potential biomarker for hepatitis C virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma,' are discussed in a ...
Bulletin 24 by Kate E. Zeigler, Andrew B. Heckert, Spencer G. Lucas
The right maxillary fragment is a trapezoidal plate of bone that changes from a vertical plate to a horizontal ledge by a right angle turn at the tooth row (Fig. 4G). It is 50 mm dorsoventrally, 65 mm anteroposteriorly, 11 mm mediolaterally near the ...
by Vi Cain Alexander, Ennis Donice McCune, Sandra Luna McCune
A fragment is a group of words that looks like a sentence, but does not express a complete thought. A fragment is missing something. Sometimes it is missing a subject. Here is an example. Tobias lost the race. Didn't run fast enough.
by Hsiao Sun
If a head-state set contains only one state, then the co-IO sequence of the fragment is the UIO sequence of the head state. If the UIO sequence of a state is found, then a * is used to flag this occurrence. The state is thus, referred to as a flagged ...
by Jerome A. Lassau
Studies performed in vivo indicate that neuronal internalization and traffic of the TTC fragment is a rapid and complex process involving neuronal activity. The TTC fragment is an excellent tracer for analyzing functional neuronal connections , ...
Algorithms - ESA '95 (1995)
Third Annual European Symposium, Corfu, Greece, September, 25 - 27, 1995. Proceedings by Paul Spirakis
A fragment is a pair T = (VT,ET), where VT is a symmetric set of nodes with s & VT , and ET is a subset of arcs entering VT such...
Computer Science Logic (2003)
17th International Workshop, CSL 2003, 12th Annual Conference of the EACSL, and 8th Kurt Gödel Colloquium, KGC 2003, Vienna, Austria, August 25-30, 2003, Proceedings by Matthias Baaz, Johann A. Makowsky, European Association for Computer Science Logic. Conference
Moreover, in the case of the infinitary logic Lω∞ω with finitely many variables, each such fragment is the infinitary logic Lk ∞ω with k variables, k ≥ 1, and the corresponding game is the k-pebble game. As is well known, k-pebble games have ...
Horror Stories (2008)
by Arthur Conan Doyle, Sir
The idea that the extraordinary narrative which has been called the Joyce- Armstrong Fragment is an elaborate practical joke evolved by some unknown person, cursed by a perverted and sinister sense of humour, has now been abandoned ...
Skeletal Imaging (2009)
by John A. M. Taylor, Tudor H. Hughes, Donald L. Resnick
disc fragment is an extrusion that is no longer contiguous with the parent disc Displaced nucleus pulposus penetrates or extends around the posterior longitudinal ligament and lies within the ...
Learn C on the Mac (2009)
by David Mark
Actually, the previous code fragment is a statement within another statement: printf() is one statement residing within a larger statement, the if statement. The ability to break your code out into individual statements is not a critical skill. Getting ...
by Stefan Offermanns
Stimulators Peptide growth factors Proteolytic peptides VEGF-A, -B, -C, -D, -E Angiostatin (plasminogen fragment) PIGF Vasostatin (calreticulin fragment) Ang- 1 , Ang-2, ANGPTL4 06 IV NC1 domain (collagen a1 IV fragment) FGF-1 , -2 ...
by John William Ballantyne
The capitellum may itself be fractured without involving the external epicondyle, the fragment usually being completely separated and lying free in the joint. Very much the same cause acts as in the oblique variety, viz. fall on the hand with force ...
A Dictionary of Christian Biography, Literature, Sects and Doctrines, Being a Continuation of "The Dictionary of the Bible": Hermogenes, Myensis (1882)
by Sir William Smith, Henry Wace
the fragment of a work De Jlesurrectione Domini, attributed to Irenaeus, which is also preserved in the Syriac, though in a briefer form (Fr.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Fragment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Fragment
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Fragment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Boards of Canada, recurrent melodic fragment explanation
A look at a certain melodic fragment (f e c and it's transpositions) that comes up a lot in the music of Boards of Canada.
- Fragment Meaning
Video shows what fragment means. A part broken off; a small, detached portion; an imperfect part; as, a fragment of an ancient writing.. A sentence not ...
- (2015) Het lied van de slang - masterproef Katarina Antunovic (fragment)
- Shades of Meaning (fragment)
Digital Video, 13 min. 2002, Autonomous Artwork This video work can be called an autobiographic dream. Many personal experiences of the author are invloved ...
- Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment PSVITA Gameplay 11 + English Language Instructions & Guide
See also the pronunciation examples of Fragment!
Quotes about Fragment
There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic. (Anais Nin)
more quotes about fragment...
Scrabble value of F4R1A1G2M3E1N1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Fragment to see it in context!