The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun function:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb function:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun function
- Definition of the verb function
- Phrases with Function
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Function
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Function
- Photos about Function
- Video language resources about Function
- Quotes about Function
- Scrabble value of F4U1N1C3T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
The word function and its family (functional, functionally, functioned, functioning, functions) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun function
What does function mean as a name of something?
Function is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: functions
- (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function)
- domain: math / mathematics / maths
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- synonyms of function: map / mapping / mathematical function / single-valued function
- more generic term: mathematical relation = a relation between mathematical expressions
- more specific terms:
- multinomial / polynomial = a mathematical function that is the sum of a number of terms
- expansion = a function expressed as a sum or product of terms
- inverse function = a function obtained by expressing the dependent variable of one function as the independent variable of another
- Kronecker delta = a function of two variables i and j that equals 1 when i=j and equals 0 otherwise
- metric function / metric = a function of a topological space that gives, for any two points in the space, a value equal to the distance between them
- transformation = a function that changes the position or direction of the axes of a coordinate system
- isometry = a one-to-one mapping of one metric space into another metric space that preserves the distances between each pair of points
- operator = a symbol or function representing a mathematical operation
- trigonometric function / circular function = function of an angle expressed as a ratio of the length of the sides of right-angled triangle containing the angle
- threshold function = a function that takes the value 1 if a specified function of the arguments exceeds a given threshold and 0 otherwise
- exponential function / exponential = a function in which an independent variable appears as an exponent
- what something is used for
- example: the function of an auger is to bore holes
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of function: purpose / role / use
- more generic words: usefulness / utility = the quality of being of practical use
- more specific term: raison d'etre = the purpose that justifies a thing's existence
- the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group
- example: the function of a teacher
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of function: office / part / role
- more generic word: duty = work that you are obliged to perform for moral or legal reasons
- more specific terms:
- a relation such that one thing is dependent on another
- a formal or official social gathering or ceremony
- a vaguely specified social event
- example: a seemingly endless round of social functions
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of function: affair / occasion / social function / social occasion
- more generic term: social event = an event characteristic of persons forming groups
- more specific terms:
- party = an occasion on which people can assemble for social interaction and entertainment
- celebration / jubilation = a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- ceremonial occasion / ceremonial / observance / ceremony = a formal event performed on a special occasion
- fundraiser = a social function that is held for the purpose of raising money
- photo opportunity / photo op = an occasion that lends itself to (or is deliberately arranged for) taking photographs that provide favorable publicity for those who are photographed
- sleepover = an occasion of spending a night away from home or having a guest spend the night in your home
- a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of function: procedure / routine / subprogram / subroutine
- more generic terms: computer software / package / software / software package / software program / software system = written programs or procedures or rules and associated documentation pertaining to the operation of a computer system and that are stored in read/write memory
- more specific terms:
- cataloged procedure = a set of control statements that have been placed in a library and can be retrieved by name
- contingency procedure = an alternative to the normal procedure
- library routine = a debugged routine that is maintained in a program library
- random number generator = a routine designed to yield a random number
- recursive routine = a routine that can call itself
- reusable routine = a routine that can be loaded once and executed repeatedly
- supervisory routine / executive routine = a routine that coordinates the operation of subroutines
- tracing routine = a routine that provides a chronological record of the execution of a computer program
- service routine / utility routine = a routine that can be used as needed
- part of: computer program / computer programme / program / programme = a sequence of instructions that a computer can interpret and execute
Alternative definition of the noun function
- What something does or is used for.
- A professional or official position.
- An official or social occasion.
- A relation where one thing is dependent on another for its existence, value, or significance.
- [mathematics] A relation in which each element of the domain is associated with exactly one element of the codomain.
- [computing] A routine that receives zero or more arguments and may return a result.
- [biology] The physiological activity of an organ or body part.
- [chemistry] The characteristic behavior of a chemical compound.
Definition of the verb function
What does function mean as a doing word?
Function is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: functioned | functioning | functions
- perform as expected when applied
- example: These cars won't function
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of function: go / operate / run / work
- antonym of function: malfunction
- more specific words:
- serve a purpose, role, or function
- example: The table functions as a desk
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] as [Predicate] Dina masqueraded as a lawyer
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonym of function: serve
- more generic words: answer / do / serve / suffice = be sufficient
- more specific terms:
- perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function
Alternative definition of the verb function
- [intransitive] to have a function
- [intransitive] to carry on a function; to be in action
"Function" a.k.a. "Vizha" is a 2013 Tamil film directed by Barathi Balakumaran. It stars Mahendran and Malavika Menon. The film, based on the award-winning short film Uthiri, portrays the love story of Sundaram, who plays the thappu instrument at death functions, and Rakkamma, an oppari singer. Extensively shot in Madurai, it has music composed by James Vasanthan, while U. K. Senthilkumar worked as the cinematographer and Praveen K. L.-N. B. Srikanth edited the film. Vizha was produced by Rama Narayanan and Sunir Kheterpal for Sri Thenandal Films, Azure Entertainment and JV Media Dreams. It releases on 27 December 2013.
- read more about Vizha
- "Function" is the third single from E-40's 16th studio album The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil 2. The song features fellow rappers YG, Iamsu! and Problem. The song is produced by Trend of the group League of Star 2012.
- "Function" is a musical single of Vex'd.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Function" is a single album by E-40.
- "Function" is a musical album of Totakeke.
- released on
Who is Function?
Function: David Charles Sumner, who records as Function, is an American techno DJ and producer.
- also known as VEX, David Sumner
- member of musical groups:
- read more about Function (composer)
Function is a musical group.
- album: "The Secret Miracle Fountain"
Function is a record label.
- Function: In mathematics, a function is a relation between a set of inputs and a set of permissible outputs with the property that each input is related to exactly one output. An example is the function that relates each real number x to its square x². The output of a function f corresponding to an input x is denoted by f. In this example, if the input is −3, then the output is 9, and we may write f = 9. The input variable are sometimes referred to as the argument of the function.
- also known as Funktion
- Function: In engineering, a function is interpreted as a specific process, action or task that a system is able to perform.
- also known as Функция
- Function is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Function
Phrases starting with the word Function:
Phrases ending with the word Function:
- Not Function
- Odd Function
- Psi Function
- Airy Function
- Cost Function
- Even Function
- Hash function
- Line function
- Loss function
- Real Function
- Step function
- Work function
- Borel Function
- Cubic Function
View more phrases with the word Function in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Function
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Engineering Design Process (2015)
by Yousef Haik, Sangarappillai Sivaloganathan, Tamer M. Shahin
A purpose function is a description of the designer's intention or the purpose of a design, and it is therefore abstract and subjective. 13. An action function is an abstraction of intended and useful behavior that an artifact exhibits. 14. Normally, a functional...
Function is the logical flow of energy, material, or signal between objects or the change of states of an object due to flows. d. Functions are the ...
Data Center Fundamentals (2003)
by Mauricio Arregoces, Maurizio Portolani
The IP infrastructure connectivity function refers to routing and switching. The SAN function refers to the Fibre Channel fabric switching. The application optimization functions include load balancing, caching, and SSL offloading. The security ...
Theory of Physical Systems from the Viewpoint of Classical Dynamics, Including Fourier Methods by Ernst A. Guillemin
If one of these quantities is a voltage and the other a current, then the response function is an impedance or an...
Mathematics Section by Lisa Muehle
A function is a set of ordered pairs (x, y), or (x, f(x)) in which every x-value is associated with exactly one f(x) or y-value.
by Ian Stewart, David Tall
7: A function is a surjection ( to B) or is onto B if each element of B is of the form f(x) for some . Whether a function is a surjection depends on the choice of codomain. So the statement 'f is a ...
by Atmajitsinh Gohil
function is the distance matrix calculated using the dist() function. The first...
function is a basic R functionality and is used for hierarchical cluster analysis in R. Hierarchical cluster is a method of ...
The Theory of the Firm by G. L. S. Shackle
difference-quotient, derivative, differentiation The idea of comparing the mutually corresponding differences of two variables that are associated in a function is a most vital one for economists. When, as in Fig. 3.1, the curve representing the ...
by Carlos Oliveira
Integrating a function is a common step in many financial algorithms. However, in several of these algorithms you can find equations that have no known analytical solution, and need to be integrated numerically. Even if an equation can be ...
by Richard Aufmann, Joanne Lockwood
A function is a set of ordered pairs in which no two ordered pairs have the same first coordinate.
Encyclopedia of Sleep and Dreams: The Evolution, Function, Nature, and Mysteries of Slumber [2 volumes] (2012)
The Evolution, Function, Nature, and Mysteries of Slumber by Deirdre Barrett, Patrick McNamara Ph.D.
The Evolution, Function, Nature, and Mysteries of Slumber Deirdre Barrett, Patrick McNamara Ph.D.
A Dictionary of Economics (2012)
by John Black, Nigar Hashimzade, Gareth Myles
utility function A function that can either be the actual evaluation of an individual's *utility or an economist's convenient representation of an individual's ...
On the Basis of Dr. Gregory's Comprehending the Latest Improvements in Every Branch of Useful Knowledge by James Mitchell
Function. The instinctive tendency to attach ourselves to others, to animals, or to objects. Friendship. 5. CoMBAtive Ness. At the inferior and mastoid angle of the parietal bone, behind the ear, next to philoprogenitiveness and adhesiveness.
by Tony Atkins, Marcel Escudier
The plot is produced from the transfer function by plotting the gain and phase shift over a range of frequencies where the gain is plotted as the radius to each point and the phase shift as the angle between the abscissa and the radius to the ...
by Bernard Wood
structural paradigm See structure- function relationship. structure See population structure. structure-function relationship The relationship between the structure of an object or body part and its function ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Function
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Function
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Phaneesh N
- Garden Function
Photo credit: Jenny Burtt Florist
- Form and function
Form and function. Art Institute of Chicago.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Great Hall Function
Photo credit: Jenny Burtt Florist
- Function Rooms
Photo credit: Partyhelp
Photo credit: Arturo Hurtado
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Function
Click on an item to play that video:
- Function Definition, Domain and Range
Unit: Properties of Functions Concept: Characteristics of Functions EQ: What makes a relation a function? EQ: How do you determine and describe the domain ...
- IB Mathematics SL - Unit 1-1 - Definition of Function
This lesson describes the definition of a function as well as some basics with domain and range. Several examples are presented.
- Definition of function
Definition of function , Xth Maths.
- Writing Piecewise Function Definition from a Graph
Demonstrates the process of creating a function definition of a piecewise function given its graph.
- Finding a piecewise function definition from graph | Algebra II | Khan Academy
Practice this lesson yourself on KhanAcademy.org right now: ...
- State Function Explanation
Explanation of state functions and state variables and their application to a chemical reaction. Made by faculty at the University of Colorado Boulder, Department ...
- Modulus Function Definition
- BRUDER 02750 MAN TGA Tow Truck (FUNCTION Explanation!) Mustang pickup
MAN TGA Abschlepp-LKW (Jack's Tow-Truck) Function explanation by Jack Jack (3); Pete Ruppert Photography / Republic DRIVE 2015; all ...
- The unit circle definition of trigonometric function
Using the unit circle to extend the SOH CAH TOA definition of the basic trigonometric functions.
- Joint Probability Density Function #1 (Definition)
How to check that a Joint Probability Density Function is a valid one.
- The Stomach (Human Anatomy): Picture, Function, Definition
- C++ Tutorial of Function Prototype and Function Definition
Tutorial of Function Prototype and Function Definition, using of IF Statement.
- Scheme Tutorial 1 - Variable and Function Definition
- Definition of an Injective Function
- Basics Of Speech And Language function
Basics of speech and language function. For similar educational videos in Neurology please download the app ''Neuroppt'' from android and apple store or ...
- English Grammar: Verb Function Review
- The Function Of Adjective
Menjelaskan mengenai fungsi dari adjective.
- Function Language: Independent and Dependent Variable
- Function as a Dictionary Value in Python
Sentdex.com Facebook.com/sentdex Twitter.com/sentdex How to put a function into a dictionary with Python / make the function a value in a dictionary.
- FUNCTION DESCRIPTION
- Function of noun phrases
- Hepatic Portal Circulation Function and Description - How Does The Hepatic Portal Circulation Work
Hepatic portal system explanation video. Watch more videos below: Concentration of Urine at...
- Aviapartner - Function Description: Check in Agent
- Burn your Diplomas and Destroy your Function Description - Knowledge Bite with Jef Staes
jefstaes author, guest lecturer and (TEDx) speaker shares with #NewToHR how the world is changing faster and faster as the need for sustainable and ...
- Aviapartner - Function Description: Ramp handler Loadmaster
- Syntax - The Function of the Verb, Part II - Aspect and Voice
In this E-Lecture Prof. Handke discusses two further functional aspects associated with the verb in PDE: aspect and voice. This includes notions such as the ...
- Teaching Function: Finding an Apartment - ESL, EFL, TEFL
This function-based activity combines role playing with an information gap format. Half the students are landlords, and the other half are prospective renters.
- Syntax - The Function of the Verb, Part III - Mood and Modality
In this final E-Lecture of the series functional aspects of the verb, Prof. Handke discusses the notions of mood and modality. He exemplifies the rudimentary ...
- Language Function williams
- Aviapartner - Function Description: Cargo Handling
See also the pronunciation examples of Function!
Quotes about Function
Scrabble value of F4U1N1C3T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Function to see it in context!