On this page:
- Definition of the noun funnel
- Definition of the verb funnel
- Phrases with Funnel
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Funnel
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Funnel
- Photos about Funnel
- Video language resources about Funnel
- Quotes about Funnel
- Scrabble value of F4U1N1N1E1L1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun funnel
What does funnel mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: funnels
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship)
Alternative definition of the noun funnel
- A utensil of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids etc. into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the chimney of a steamship or the like.
Definition of the verb funnel
What does funnel mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: funnelled, funnelling
- move or pour through a funnel
- examples: funnel the liquid into the small bottle | The women funnel water into the bowl
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I put the book here/there | I spooned the sauce there [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] between / in between [Destination, plural] He wedged the diamond between shifting dunes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] into / onto [Destination] I funneled the mixture into the bottle [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] into [Destination] The company is wedging into new markets
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
Alternative definition of the verb funnel
- To use a funnel.
- To proceed through a narrow gap or passageway akin to a funnel; to narrow or condense.
- [transitive] To direct (money or resources).
"Funnel" is a 2013 short comedy adventure film written and directed by Andre Hyland.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Michael Rizzo
- executive producer: Andre Hyland
- written by Andre Hyland
- starring: Andre Hyland as Andre
- cinematography by Shane Johnston
- edited by Andre Hyland
- genres: Adventure Film, Comedy
- released on
- official website: www.funnelfilm.com
- "Funnel" is a musical EP of The Cedars Two.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Funnel" is a composition.
- Funnel: A funnel is the smokestack or chimney on a ship used to expel boiler steam and smoke or engine exhaust. They are also commonly referred to as stacks.
- Funnel: In Computer Science, a funnel is a synchronization primitive used in kernel development to protect system resources. First used on Digital UNIX as a way to "funnel" device driver execution onto a single processor, funnels are now used in the Mac OS X kernel to serialize access to the BSD portion of xnu.
Phrases with Funnel
Phrases starting with the word Funnel:
- funnel web
- Funnel cake
- Funnel Lily
- Funnel Mark
- Funnel plot
- Funnel cloud
- funnel shape
- Funnel Weaver
- Funnel Supercoil
- Funnel Chanterelle
Phrases ending with the word Funnel:
Other phrases containing the word Funnel:
View more phrases with the word Funnel in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Funnel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Precision Bowhunting (2005)
A Year-round Approach to Taking Mature Whitetails by John Eberhart, Chris Eberhart
The tightest funnel is the point where the oaks and the hardwoods come together. Any deer coming through the hardwoods also pass through this point. It is here that we have a tree cleared out. Bucks cruise this row of oaks during the prerut ...
Etiquette for the ladies: eighty maxims on dress, manners, and accomplishments. Third edition (1837)
It is very uncomely to drink so large a draught that your breath is almost gone, and are forced to blow strongly to recover yourself; throwing down your liquor as into a funnel is an action fitter for a juggler than a gentlewoman. Thus much for our ...
Negotiations & Selling (2009)
A sales funnel is a simple tool as indicated in Figure 8.1. On the extreme top, the entire market is shown. The firm specific marketing programmes are creating interest about the concept or products among the prospects, and they are brought at ...
Managing Factory Maintenance (2004)
by Joel Levitt
The wide-ranging funnel is the in-box. All services requested from all sources go through the In-Box. including incoming E-mail, phone messages, notes, and radio calls, from all maintenance users, PM tickets from the CMMS itself, and project ...
Brick and Clay Record (1907)
The Schoene washing funnel is a glass apparatus, the upper part of which is perfoctly cylindrical. From the cylindrical part the funnel is uniformly reduced in diameter down to a small tube at the bottom, where it is bent on a half-circle, and then ...
An Explanatory Dictionary of the Apparatus and Instruments Employed in ... Philosophical and Experimental Chemistry. - London, Thomas Boys 1824 (1824)
FUNNEL ron Ssmuxrma DELIQUBSCENT SALTS, fig. 4, plate XI.—-a denotes a small circular stand, holding a funnel which has a very shallow aerea, and a narrow tube 0, terminating in a small bottle at, to collect the deliquescent salt, which ...
Encyclopedia of Cancer (2011)
by Manfred Schwab
Funnel Factors. Fig. 1 Schematic diagram showing how funneling factors channel the proliferation signal Growth signals Receptors m > DAG AM Pc RAS AKT JAK 02— PKC PKA MAPK mTOR STAT H202 No 2+ Ca cGMP CAMK PKG Funnel ...
Mosby's Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions - Australian & New Zealand Edition (2014)
by Peter Harris, Sue Nagy, Nicholas Vardaxis
funnel plot furunculosis Funnel chest (Zitelli et al, 2012) deformity may not interfere with breathing, but surgical correction is often recommended for cosmetic reasons. Also called pectus excavatum. funnel plot, a scatter plot of treatment effect ...
the entering air operating too directly and violently on the fire, and afterwards strengthening the draft as it ascends the funnel, will consume the fuel too rapidly. Remedy. As different circumstances frequently mix themselves in these matters, it is ...
Encyclopedia of House Plants (1999)
by Nico Vermeulen, Richard Rosenfeld
URN PLANT The large, hlunt leaves of Aechmea fasciata are green, hut make up a funnel which looks grey hecause the leaves are covered with a dense white haze formed from minuscule scales. These disappear when touched, when the ...
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
FUNNEL PLOT A type of graph used in METAANALYSIS to detect PUBLICATION BIAS. The estimate of risk is plotted against sample size or a measure of the withinstudy variance. If there is no publication bias, the plot is funnelshaped; but if ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Funnel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Funnel
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: striatic
Photo credit: Brinki
Photo credit: muffinn
Striking cloud formation glimpsed from the window of the coach aback to Oxford from Comica Comiket in London.
Photo credit: Damian Cugley
Photo credit: Anonymous Account
Photo credit: David Rosen Photography
Creator: Jamie Bardsley
Photo credit: jamiebardsley
Photo credit: Steve Snodgrass
Coastal Path on DInard's coastline, as seen at late dusk. ND400 filter was used to get this shot. Fort Harbour can be identified in the far center.
Photo credit: blieusong
Photo credit: rightee
- KFC Funnel
Photo credit: Ozzy Delaney
- Rusty Funnel
Photo credit: Marion Doss
- Rusty Funnel
Photo credit: Marion Doss
- Funnel Spider
Photo credit: Lexie Stevenson
- Thought Leadership Funnel
From the FIR Podcast Series.
Photo credit: topgold
- Red Funnel Ferry
Photo credit: Marcin Chady
- Solar funnel cooker - teri chicken
Put some teri chicken in the funnel cooker at 2:45 and it was done an hour later. Two marinated boneless, skinless chiken breasts with garlic and ginger spread on top.
The thermometer needle is partially obscurred by the circular design in the glass lid but shows just over 225F.
Photo credit: EBKauai
- Red Funnel Ferry
Photo credit: foilman
- Spider in a Funnel
Photo credit: Monkey Mash Button
Photo credit: Paul Papadimitriou
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Funnel
Click on an item to play that video:
- Weighing funnel Meaning
Video shows what weighing funnel means. An open container having a wide end into which samples may be placed for weighing and a funnel-shaped end for ...
- Funnel Meaning
Video shows what funnel means. A utensil of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids etc. into a close ...
- Survey Funnel Aweber Explanation
Survey Funnel Aweber Explanation.
- How to set up a Marketing Funnel Explanation For Beginners
- Funnel Explanation
- Funnel idiom shout out
- Isasocial Viral Funnel Explanation
- Sales Funnel Definition
- Traffic & Funnel Explanation
- Buyers Journey and Sales funnel Explanation
- Vocabulary: Funnel
- The REAL Definition Of A Perfect Sales Funnel...
- COMING SOON TO THOMAS THE MULTI-LANGUAGE TANK ENGINE: SPECIAL FUNNEL!
See also the pronunciation examples of Funnel!
Quotes about Funnel
Instead of looking at life as a narrowing funnel, we can see it ever widening to choose the things we want to do, to take the wisdom we've learned and create something. (Liz Carpenter)
more quotes about funnel...
Scrabble value of F4U1N1N1E1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Funnel to see it in context!