|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun funnel
What does funnel mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: funnels
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship)
Alternative definition of the noun funnel
- A utensil of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids etc. into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the chimney of a steamship or the like.
Definition of the verb funnel
What does funnel mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: funneled / funnelled (less preferred form) | funneling / funnelling (less preferred form) | funnels
- move or pour through a funnel
- examples: funnel the liquid into the small bottle | The women funnel water into the bowl
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I put the book here/there | I spooned the sauce there [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] between / in between [Destination, plural] He wedged the diamond between shifting dunes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] into / onto [Destination] I funneled the mixture into the bottle [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] into [Destination] The company is wedging into new markets
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
Alternative definition of the verb funnel
- To use a funnel.
- To proceed through a narrow gap or passageway akin to a funnel; to narrow or condense.
- [transitive] To direct (money or resources).
Phrases with funnel
Phrases starting with the word funnel:
- funnel web
- Funnel Cake
- Funnel Lily
- Funnel Mark
- Funnel Plot
- funnel cloud
- funnel shape
- Funnel Weaver
- Funnel Supercoil
- Funnel Chanterelle
Phrases ending with the word funnel:
Other phrases containing the word funnel:
View more phrases with the word funnel in thesaurus!
"Funnel" is a 2013 short comedy adventure film written and directed by Andre Hyland.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Michael Rizzo
- executive producer: Andre Hyland
- written by Andre Hyland
- starring: Andre Hyland as Andre
- cinematography by Shane Johnston
- edited by Andre Hyland
- genres: Adventure Film, Comedy
- released on
- official website: www.funnelfilm.com
"Funnel" is a musical EP of The Cedars Two.
- released on (4 years ago)
- Funnel: A funnel is the smokestack or chimney on a ship used to expel boiler steam and smoke or engine exhaust. They are also commonly referred to as stacks.
- Funnel: In Computer Science, a funnel is a synchronization primitive used in kernel development to protect system resources. First used on Digital UNIX as a way to "funnel" device driver execution onto a single processor, funnels are now used in the Mac OS X kernel to serialize access to the BSD portion of xnu.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for funnel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Google Analytics (2010)
by Justin Cutroni
A funnel is a series of predefined steps, or pages, that a visitor must pass through before reaching a goal. Not every goal will have...
by Dr. A. V. Kasture, Dr. S. G. Wadodkar
Buchner funnel is a perforated bottom porcelain funnel. The funnel is placed on the flask by rubber bung. A filter paper of the size ...
Encyclopedia of Cancer (2011)
by Manfred Schwab
Funnel Factors. Fig. 1 Schematic diagram showing how funneling factors channel the proliferation signal Growth signals Receptors m > DAG AM Pc RAS AKT JAK 02— PKC PKA MAPK mTOR STAT H202 No 2+ Ca cGMP CAMK PKG Funnel ...
by Abdel H. El-Shaarawi, Walter W. Piegorsch
The first is the funnel plot, which gives a good graphical indication of the possible existence of some forms of publication bias. If one plots the effect size against some measure of size of study, then under the normal assumptions of either the ...
by Heinrich Paasch
Funnel. The large tube of sheet-iron, extending from the uptake high above the ...
Pocket Encyclopedia (1811)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Polite Literature by Edward Augustus Kendall
There are various kinds of rain-gauges: that used at the apartments belonging to the Royal Society, at Somerset- House, is thus described: The vessel which receives the rain is a conical funnel, strengthened at the top by a brass ring twelve ...
Volume 52 - Solid-Liquid Separation: Clarifiers and Thickeners Selection to Specific Gravity and Specific Heats by John J. McKetta Jr
SLOUGHS FUNNEL FLOW (RAT -HOLEl MUST ExCEED REO'D "CRITICAL CORE" DIMENSION ExPANDED FLOW MASS FLOW FIG 2 The three basic material flow patterns from storage. For simplicity, they are shown without the potential ...
funnel interfacewas developed bySmithet al.at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory asa replacement to the skimmer( Figure 6(c)).In contrasttothe skimmer interface, theionfunnel canfocus ions in a broadrangeof m/z ratio exiting the inlet ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for funnel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about funnel
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: pescatello
View more pictures about Funnel Cake.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about funnel
Click on an item to play that video:
- How to set up a Marketing Funnel Explanation For Beginners
- Traffic & Funnel Explanation
- Buyers Journey and Sales funnel Explanation
- Sales Funnel Definition
The following video is part of BusinessTraining.com video module series. Each video focuses on different business niches and is tailored to training business...
- Isasocial Viral Funnel Explanation
See also the pronunciation examples of funnel!
Quotes about funnel
Instead of looking at life as a narrowing funnel, we can see it ever widening to choose the things we want to do, to take the wisdom we've learned and create something. (Liz Carpenter)
more quotes about funnel...
Scrabble value of F4U1N1N1E1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of funnel to see it in context!