|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun funnel
What does funnel mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: funnels
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship)
Alternative definition of the noun funnel
- A utensil of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids etc. into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the chimney of a steamship or the like.
Definition of the verb funnel
What does funnel mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: funnelled, funnelling
- move or pour through a funnel
- examples: funnel the liquid into the small bottle | The women funnel water into the bowl
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] [Destination, locative adverb] I put the book here/there | I spooned the sauce there [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] between / in between [Destination, plural] He wedged the diamond between shifting dunes [Agent - being] [Verb] [Theme] into / onto [Destination] I funneled the mixture into the bottle [Theme - concrete object] [Verb] into [Destination] The company is wedging into new markets
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- more generic words: displace / move = cause to move or shift into a new position or place, both in a concrete and in an abstract sense
Alternative definition of the verb funnel
- To use a funnel.
- To proceed through a narrow gap or passageway akin to a funnel; to narrow or condense.
- [transitive] To direct (money or resources).
"Funnel" is a 2013 short comedy adventure film written and directed by Andre Hyland.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Michael Rizzo
- executive producer: Andre Hyland
- written by Andre Hyland
- starring: Andre Hyland as Andre
- cinematography by Shane Johnston
- edited by Andre Hyland
- genres: Adventure Film, Comedy
- released on
- official website: www.funnelfilm.com
- "Funnel" is a musical EP of The Cedars Two.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Funnel" is a composition.
- Funnel: A funnel is the smokestack or chimney on a ship used to expel boiler steam and smoke or engine exhaust. They are also commonly referred to as stacks.
- Funnel: In Computer Science, a funnel is a synchronization primitive used in kernel development to protect system resources. First used on Digital UNIX as a way to "funnel" device driver execution onto a single processor, funnels are now used in the Mac OS X kernel to serialize access to the BSD portion of xnu.
Phrases with funnel
Phrases starting with the word funnel:
- funnel web
- Funnel Cake
- Funnel Lily
- Funnel Mark
- Funnel Plot
- funnel cloud
- funnel shape
- Funnel Weaver
- Funnel Supercoil
- Funnel Chanterelle
Phrases ending with the word funnel:
Other phrases containing the word funnel:
View more phrases with the word funnel in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for funnel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Etiquette for the ladies: eighty maxims on dress, manners, and accomplishments. Third edition (1837)
It is very uncomely to drink so large a draught that your breath is almost gone, and are forced to blow strongly to recover yourself; throwing down your liquor as into a funnel is an action fitter for a juggler than a gentlewoman. Thus much for our ...
Negotiations & Selling (2009)
A sales funnel is a simple tool as indicated in Figure 8.1. On the extreme top, the entire market is shown. The firm specific marketing programmes are creating interest about the concept or products among the prospects, and they are brought at ...
Managing Factory Maintenance (2004)
by Joel Levitt
The wide-ranging funnel is the in-box. All services requested from all sources go through the In-Box. including incoming E-mail, phone messages, notes, and radio calls, from all maintenance users, PM tickets from the CMMS itself, and project ...
Encyclopedia of Cancer (2011)
by Manfred Schwab
Funnel Factors. Fig. 1 Schematic diagram showing how funneling factors channel the proliferation signal Growth signals Receptors m > DAG AM Pc RAS AKT JAK 02— PKC PKA MAPK mTOR STAT H202 No 2+ Ca cGMP CAMK PKG Funnel ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for funnel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about funnel
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: striatic
Photo credit: David Rosen Photography
- Funnel Spider
Photo credit: Lexie Stevenson
- Solar funnel cooker - teri chicken
Put some teri chicken in the funnel cooker at 2:45 and it was done an hour later. Two marinated boneless, skinless chiken breasts with garlic and ginger spread on top.
The thermometer needle is partially obscurred by the circular design in the glass lid but shows just over 225F.
Photo credit: EBKauai
- Trichterspinne / funnel weaver
Kann jemand die genaue Art angeben?
Photo credit: Rolf B.
- Light Funnel
Photo credit: Je.T.
- Red Funnel Ferry & NYK Libra Container Ship
Red Funnel car ferry leaving Southampton Water for Cowes, Isle of Wight. NYK Libra container ship also leaving Southampton Water, taken from Calshot Spit.
Photo credit: damo1977
- KFC Funnel
Photo credit: ozz13x
- Thought Leadership Funnel
From the FIR Podcast Series.
Photo credit: topgold
- Funnel Spider-Bottom
Photo credit: O.S. Fisher
- Moon and funnel
Coruisk's funnel reveals the Moon.
Photo credit: SuborbitalPigeon
- Giant Funnel Cap
Giant Funnel Caps, up to 18 cm diameter.
Photo credit: polandeze
- First Funnel of the Day
Photo credit: stormrushdotnet
- Stena Europe's Funnel
Photo credit: CLDoyle
- Campbell's famous White Funnel Fleet
The Bristol Channel was to develop into one of the major areas for Paddle Steamer operation in the UK after the decision of Peter and Alec Campbell, sons of the well-known Firth of Clyde steamboat owner Captain Bob Campbell, to sell their business to the newly-formed Caledonian Steam Packet Company and, from 1889, base their operations at Bristol. The inevitable domination of the Clyde services by three competing railway companies and the under-development of steamer operations on the Bristol Channel made the move a sensible decision. In 1887, Campbell's paddler Waverley had been chartered for use on the channel and in the following year, Captain Alec brought the vessel south once again on his own account. Captain Bob died in April 1888 and the scene was set for P & A Campbell's "White Funnel" fleet to dominate coastal cruising and ferry operations for the next 80 years.
Photo credit: brizzle born and bred
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about funnel
Click on an item to play that video:
- Funnel plot Meaning
Video shows what funnel plot means. A scatterplot of effect size against a measure of study size or variablity, used primarily as a visual aid to detecting and ...
- Weighing funnel Meaning
Video shows what weighing funnel means. An open container having a wide end into which samples may be placed for weighing and a funnel-shaped end for ...
- Funnel Meaning
Video shows what funnel means. A utensil of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids etc. into a close ...
- Sales Funnel Definition
The following video is part of BusinessTraining.com video module series. Each video focuses on different business niches and is tailored to training business ...
- Buyers Journey and Sales funnel Explanation
- The REAL Definition Of A Perfect Sales Funnel...
Register for the next event at...
- Survey Funnel Aweber Explanation
Survey Funnel Aweber Explanation.
- Funnel mark Meaning
Video shows what funnel mark means. The identifying mark of a shipping company, displayed on the ship's funnel (smokestack).. Funnel mark Meaning. How to ...
- Funnel weaver Meaning
Video shows what funnel weaver means. An araneomorph funnel-web spider.. Funnel weaver Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say funnel weaver.
See also the pronunciation examples of funnel!
Quotes about funnel
Instead of looking at life as a narrowing funnel, we can see it ever widening to choose the things we want to do, to take the wisdom we've learned and create something. (Liz Carpenter)
more quotes about funnel...
Scrabble value of F4U1N1N1E1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of funnel to see it in context!