Furnish appears in the following tongue twister:
- Furnish Freddie's nursery with forty-four furry Furby Beanie Babies.
Definition of the noun furnish
What does furnish mean as a name of something?
- Material used to create an engineered product.
Definition of the verb furnish
What does furnish mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: furnished | furnishing | furnishes
- give something useful or necessary to
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] He reimbursed members | Hess supplied its customers [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Recipient] with [Theme] Brown presented Jones with a plaque [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Brown presented the plaque [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] to [Recipient] Brown presented a plaque to Jones | They lent a bicycle to me | We contributed our paycheck to her
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of furnish: provide / render / supply
- more generic word: give = transfer possession of something concrete or abstract to somebody
- more specific terms:
- hydrate = supply water or liquid to in order to maintain a healthy balance
- charge = energize a battery by passing a current through it in the direction opposite to discharge
- date = provide with a dateline
- feed = feed into
- calk = provide with calks
- fund = provide a fund for the redemption of principal or payment of interest
- scant / skimp / stint = supply sparingly and with restricted quantities
- terrasse / terrace = provide (a house) with a terrace
- dado = provide with a dado
- innervate = supply nerves to
- offer = make available or accessible, provide or furnish
- signalise / signalize = provide with traffic signals
- extend / offer = make available
- stock = provide or furnish with a stock of something
- stock up / buy in / stock = amass so as to keep for future use or sale or for a particular occasion or use
- caption = provide with a caption, as of a photograph or a drawing
- tube = provide with a tube or insert a tube into
- ticket = provide with a ticket for passage or admission
- stock = supply with livestock
- stock = supply with fish
- rim = furnish with a rim
- fret = provide (a musical instrument) with frets
- step = furnish with steps
- rail = provide with rails
- grate = furnish with a grate
- capitalise / capitalize = supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders
- alphabetize = provide with an alphabet
- wharf = provide with a wharf
- air-condition / air-cool = equip with an apparatus for controlling the humidity and temperature
- uniform = provide with uniforms
- railroad = supply with railroad lines
- partner = provide with a partner
- bewhisker / whisker = furnish with whiskers
- subtitle = supply (a movie) with subtitles
- headline = provide (a newspaper page or a story) with a headline
- match = provide funds complementary to
- hobnail = supply with hobnails
- wive = provide with a wife
- victual = supply with food
- surfeit / cloy = supply or feed to surfeit
- heat = provide with heat
- seat = provide with seats
- seat = put a seat on a chair
- ramp = furnish with a ramp
- arm = supply with arms
- interleave = provide (books) with blank leaves
- glass / glaze = furnish with glass
- crenellate / crenelate / crenel = supply with battlements
- causeway = provide with a causeway
- canalise / canalize / canal = provide (a city) with a canal
- bush = provide with a bushing
- brattice = supply with a brattice, to ventilate mines
- slat = equip or bar with slats
- berth = provide with a berth
- bed = furnish with a bed
- computerise / computerize = provide with computers
- costume = furnish with costumes
- bottom = provide with a bottom or a seat
- rafter = provide (a ceiling) with rafters
- tool = furnish with tools
- key = provide with a key
- fuel = provide with a combustible substance that provides energy
- provision / purvey = supply with provisions
- afford / yield / give = be the cause or source of
- fit out / outfit / equip / fit = provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose
- transistorise / transistorize = equip (an electronic circuit or device) with transistors
- upholster = provide furniture with padding, springs, webbing, and covers
- cleat = provide with cleats
- coal = supply with coal
- corbel = furnish with a corbel
- cornice = furnish with a cornice
- constitutionalize = provide with a constitution, as of a country
- copper-bottom = provide with a copper bottom
- curtain = provide with drapery
- gate = supply with a gate
- index = provide with an index
- articulate / joint = provide with a joint
- pour = supply in large amounts or quantities
- pump = supply in great quantities
- fire / fuel = provide with fuel
- oversupply / flood / glut = supply with an excess of
- toggle = provide with a toggle or toggles
- patch = provide with a patch
- water = provide with water
- leverage = provide with leverage
- tap = furnish with a tap or spout, so as to be able to draw liquid from it
- top out / top = provide with a top or finish the top
- reflectorise / reflectorize = provide with reflectors, such as chemicals
- retrofit = provide with parts, devices, or equipment not available or in use at the time of the original manufacture
- border / edge = provide with a border or edge
- machicolate = supply with projecting galleries
- sanitate = provide with sanitary facilities or appliances
- hat = furnish with a hat
- theme = provide with a particular theme or motive
- kern = furnish with a kern
- headquarter = provide with headquarters
- shelter = provide shelter for
- provide or equip with furniture
Alternative definition of the verb furnish
- To provide a place with furniture, or other equipment.
- [figuratively] To supply or give.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for furnish
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A sermon, preached in Providence, R.I., Sept. 9, 1840, before the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, at their thirty-first annual meeting by Nathan Sidney Smith Beman, American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions
heathen world, so great was the doubt whether the Christian community would furnish means to sustain the undertaking, that it was deemed expedient to send one of the four young men, who had been accepted as missionaries, to England, ...
The Mirror of Parliament (1839)
by John Henry Barrow
to furnish means to the guardians for administering relief, ...
An Encyclopedia of Rights, Conflicts, and Sovereignty by Donald L. Fixico
Treaty with the Hunkapapa Band of the Sioux Tribe July 16, 1825 This treaty arranged for the regulation of trade by the United States and forbade the Sioux to furnish guns to tribes hostile to the United States. The treaty was concluded at ...
The Domestic Encyclopedia, Or, A Dictionary of Facts and Useful Knowledge, Chiefly Applicable to Rural & Domestic Economy (1821)
With an Appendix, Containing Additions in Domestic Medicine, and the Veterinary and Culinary Arts by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich, Thomas Cooper, Katherine Golden Bitting Collection on Gastronomy (Library of Congress)
all vegetables, furnish it in some proportion. 5thly. A 5th or 6th in weight of charcoal, and nearly equal in bulk to the vegetable itself; of this about 90 parts in 100 are frequently pure carbon, when well burnt and freshly ...
Abridged from the American Dictionary, for the Use of Primary Schools and the Counting House by Noah Webster
to furnish with windows. Win'-dow-blind, n. a blind to darken rooms. Win'-dow- frome, n. iho frame that holds the sashes. Win'-dOw-gliiss, n. panes of gloss for windows. Win'-dow-sash, n. the frame in which glass is Wine, n. the fermented juice ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for furnish
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about furnish
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb furnish:
Photo about furnish
David Furnish and Lynne Featherstone
LGTB reception at No10 to launch new campaign to kick homophobia and transphobia out of sport.
Photo credit: ukhomeoffice
Video about furnish
Video shows what furnish means. Material used to create an engineered product.. Furnish Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say fu ...
See also the pronunciation examples of furnish!
Quotes about furnish
Scrabble value of F4U1R1N1I1S1H4
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of FURNISH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of furnish!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of furnish to see it in context!