On this page:
- Definition of the noun gad
- Definition of the verb gad
- Other definitions of gad
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gad
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gad
- Photos about Gad
- Videos about Gad
- Quotes about Gad
- Scrabble value of G2A1D2
- Anagrams of GAD
- Share this page
Gad is sometimes a misspelling of god.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun gad
What does gad mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: gads
- an anxiety disorder characterized by chronic free-floating anxiety and such symptoms as tension or sweating or trembling or lightheadedness or irritability etc that has lasted for more than six months
- a sharp prod fixed to a rider's heel and used to urge a horse onward
Alternative definition of the noun gad
- A sharp-pointed object; a goad.
- [obsolete] A metal bar.
- A pointed metal tool for breaking or chiselling rock, especially in mining.
- [dated, metallurgy] An indeterminate measure of metal produced by a furnace, perhaps equivalent to the bloom, perhaps weighing around 100 pounds.
Definition of the verb gad
What does gad mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: gadded, gadding
- wander aimlessly in search of pleasure
- lexical domain: Motions - verbs of walking, flying, swimming
- synonyms of gad: gallivant / jazz around
- more generic words: cast / drift / ramble / range / roam / roll / rove / stray / swan / tramp / vagabond / wander = move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment
Alternative definition of the verb gad
- To move from one location to another in an apparently random manner.
- synonym: gallivant
Other definitions of gad
What does gad also mean?
- An exclamatory interjection roughly equivalent to 'by God', 'goodness gracious', 'for goodness' sake'.
- Gad was, according to the Book of Genesis, the first son of Jacob and Zilpah, the seventh of Jacob overall, and the founder of the Israelite Tribe of Gad; however some Biblical scholars view this as postdiction, an eponymous metaphor providing an aetiology of the connectedness of the tribe to others in the Israelite confederation. The text of the Torah argues that the name of Gad means luck/fortunate, in Hebrew, deriving from a root meaning cut/divide, in the sense of divided out; classical rabbinical literature argues that the name was a prophetic reference to the manna; some Biblical scholars suspect that refers to a deity originally worshipped by the tribe, namely Gad, the semitic deity of fortune, who, according to the Book of Isaiah, was still worshipped by certain Hebrews during the 6th century BC.
- Gad was a seer or prophet in the Hebrew Bible. He was one of the personal prophets of King David of Israel and some of his writings are believed to be included in the Books of Samuel. He is first mentioned in 1 Samuel 22:5 telling David to return to the land of Judah.
- profession: Prophet
- Gad a.k.a. Gad Beck: Gerhard "Gad" Beck was an educator, author, activist, and survivor of the Holocaust.
- read more about Gad Beck
- GAD a.k.a. GAD. are a Greek independent alternative rock band with electronic and melodic features. It was formed in 2005 and gained wide recognition with the radio hit "The End of the Road" which was followed by the hits "Waves" and "Big Brown Eyes". All their songs are in English, with influences from Joy Division, Interpol, She Wants Revenge, Stereo Nova and Röyksopp. The name of the band stands for generalized anxiety disorder, with a member stating: "...it's about an illness that more or less had tormented some members of the band...".
- read more about GAD.
- GAD is a musical group.
GAD is a shareholder, asset owner, organization founder.
- also known as GAD eG
- Gad is a fictional character from BloodSpell.
- Gad is a fictional character from the 1986 film Dawn.
There are other characters with in their name, like Urban Gad.
- Gad is a former unincorporated community in Nicholas County, West Virginia, United States. The community was located on McKee's Creek, but was purchased by the US Army Corps of Engineers for the construction of Summersville Lake.
- Gad a.k.a. Northeast Alabama Regional Airport is a public use airport located four nautical miles southwest of the central business district of Gadsden, a city in Etowah County, Alabama, United States. It is owned by Gadsden Airport Authority and it was previously known as Gadsden Municipal Airport. According to the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, it is categorized as a general aviation facility. The airport formerly had scheduled passenger service.
There are other places with in their name, like Baal-gad.
- Gad was the name of the pan-Semitic god of fortune, and is attested in ancient records of Aram and Arabia. Gad is also mentioned by the Book of Isaiah, as having been worshipped by a number of Hebrews during the babylonian captivity. Gad apparently differed from the god of destiny, who was known as Meni. The root verb in Gad means cut or divide, and from this comes the idea of fate being meted out.
- Gad a.k.a. The Gaddang language is spoken by up to 30,000 speakers in the Philippines, particularly along the Magat and upper Cagayan rivers in the Region II provinces of Nueva Vizcaya and Isabela and by overseas migrants to countries in Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, in the Middle East, UK and the U.S.A.. Most Gaddang speakers also speak Ilocano, the lingua franca of Northern Luzon, as well as Tagalog and English. Gaddang is associated with the "Christianized Gaddang" people, and is closely related to the highland tongues of Ga'dang with 6,000 speakers, Cagayan Agta with less than 1,000 and Atta with 2,000, and more distantly to Ibanag, Itawis, Yogad, Isneg and Malaweg.
- also known as Cagayan
- Gad is a fast food chain that is based in Egypt. Gad specializes in preparing local favorites that are meant to be eaten on the go; few of their outlets have seating. Gad serves falafel, fuul, and shwarmas.
- Gad a.k.a. SCO3416 is a gene.
- Gad a.k.a. glutamate decarboxylase 1 (brain, 67kDa) is a gene.
- also known as glutamate decarboxylase 1 (brain, 67kD); glutamate decarboxylase 1
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Gad
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
CBT For Anxiety Disorders (2013)
A Practitioner Book by Gregoris Simos, Stefan G. Hofmann
Yet GAD is a relatively common disorder, both in community and clinical samples . In epidemiological studies, the disorder ranges from 2 to 4% for 12-month prevalence rates and from 4 to 7% for lifetime prevalence among the general ...
Traumatic Brain Injury (2003)
Rehabilitation, Treatment, and Case Management, Second Edition by Mark J. Ashley
GAD is a soluble enzyme found in cytoplasm and GABA-T is a mitochondrial enzyme.
by Amy Wenzel
Postpartum Generalized Anxiety Disorder GAD is an anxiety disorder in which a person experiences uncontrollable worry ...
by Danielle Schultz Dresden, MEd, CRC, Phillip D. Rumrill, Jr., PhD, CRC, Kimberly McCrone Wickert, MRC, CRC
Anxiety is the main symptom of several different conditions including generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder. Anxiety is known to be a common condition among individuals with dementia. GAD is a disorder that is characterized ...
Revised Full-Color Edition
Gad directed David to build an altar to the Lord on that very spot. After David had offered sacrifices, the plague was stopped (2 Sam. 24:10 – 25; 1 Chr. 21). In addition, Gad is said to have written a document recording the life and activities of ...
Encyclopedia of Toxicology (2005)
by Bruce Anderson, Ann de Peyster, Shayne C. Gad, P.J. Bert Hakkinen, Michael Kamrin, Betty Locey, Harihara M. Mehendale, Carey Pope, Lee Shugart
Gad, P.J. Bert Hakkinen, Michael Kamrin, Betty Locey, Harihara M.
Bruce D Anderson,Ann de Peyster, ShayneC Gad, PerttiJHakkinen, Michael A Kamrin, BettyJ Locey, HariharaM Mehendale, ...
A Dictionary of the Scripture Proper Names: wherein the words are accentuated ... To which are prefixed remarks respecting the pronunciation, etymology, and accentuation of the English language. [With a prefatory letter by A. Clarke.] (1808)
by James CREIGHTON, Adam Clarke
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen Reevy, Yvette Malamud Ozer, Yuri Ito
Generalized Anxiety Disorder People with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) suffer from chronic and pervasive anxiety and worries about all-encompassing life situations. According to criteria from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Gad
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Gad
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Gad Lerner.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Gad
Click on an item to play that video:
- GAD Meaning
Video shows what GAD means. generalized anxiety disorder. GAD Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say GAD. Powered by ...
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD Video & Lesson Transcript
- Gad Meaning
Video shows what gad means. An exclamatory interjection roughly equivalent to 'by God', 'goodness gracious', 'for goodness' sake'.. gad pronunciation. How to ...
- Gad Meaning
Video shows what Gad means. The seventh son of Jacob, by his wife's handmaid Zilpah.. One of the Israelite tribes mentioned in the Torah, descended from ...
- Dr. Gad Pnini - The meaning of higher education
- Riolozhikaik Gad (Illogical Day) - A Vulcan Language Video
- 6-E Ali Gad Exeprimental Language School .
View more videos about Gad Elbaz.
See also the pronunciation examples of Gad!
Quotes about Gad
Scrabble value of G2A1D2
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GAD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Gad!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Gad to see it in context!