Garb appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Wonderbra gyms: is my garb red now?
- One garb muddle if I field dumb rage, no?
- Tiny rare nit in a stiff umbrage-garb muff: it’s an itinerary nit.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb garb:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun garb
What does garb mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: garbs
- clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of garb: attire / dress
- more generic terms: article of clothing / clothing / habiliment / vesture / wear / wearable = a covering designed to be worn on a person's body
- more specific terms:
- ao dai = the traditional dress of Vietnamese women consisting of a tunic with long sleeves and panels front and back
- costume = the attire worn in a play or at a fancy dress ball
- costume = the attire characteristic of a country or a time or a social class
- costume = unusual or period attire not characteristic of or appropriate to the time and place
- costume = the prevalent fashion of dress
- disguise = any attire that modifies the appearance in order to conceal the wearer's identity
- ecclesiastical attire / ecclesiastical robe = attire that is appropriate to wear in a church
- finery = elaborate or showy attire and accessories
- evening clothes / evening dress / eveningwear / formalwear = attire to wear on formal occasions in the evening
- habit = a distinctive attire worn by a member of a religious order
- riding habit / habit = attire that is typically worn by a horseback rider
- false hair / hairpiece / postiche = a covering or bunch of human or artificial hair used for disguise or adornment
- morning dress = formal attire for men during the daytime
- turnout / outfit / getup / rig = a set of clothing
- athletic wear / activewear / sportswear = attire worn for sport or for casual wear
Alternative definition of the noun garb
- A type of dress or clothing.
- fashion, style of dressing oneself up
- [figuratively] a guise, external appearance
- [heraldiccharge] A wheat sheaf.
- A measure of arrows in the Middle Ages.
Definition of the verb garb
What does garb mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: garbed | garbing | garbs
- provide with clothes or put clothes on
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] in [Theme] She was always clad in black
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of garb: apparel / clothe / dress / enclothe / fit out / garment / habilitate / raiment / tog
- more generic terms: change state / turn = undergo a transformation or a change of position or action
- more specific terms:
- prim out / prim up / prim = dress primly
- wrap up / cover = clothe, as if for protection from the elements
- jacket = put a jacket on
- frock = put a frock on
- shirt = put a shirt on
- habit = put a habit on
- vesture = provide or cover with a cloak
- overclothe / overdress = dress too warmly
- underdress = dress without sufficient warmth
- corset = dress with a corset
- shoe = furnish with shoes
- coat = cover or provide with a coat
- dress up / costume = dress in a costume
- robe / vest = clothe formally
- gown = dress in a gown
Alternative definition of the verb garb
- [transitive] To dress in garb.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for garb
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
101 Tips for the Absolute Beginner by Tom Rosenbauer
The traditional garb is a fishing vest with ...
A Traveller's History by H. V. Livermore
To northerners it is the deep south, but from an Arabic orientation it was the far west The garb is the sunset and is also the name of Morocco, the Magrib. At first, the invaders did not much care about the north-west, but thought of pursuing the ...
The Revolution in Words (2001)
Righting Women, 1868-1871 by Lana F. Rakow, Cheris Kramarae
The Bulletin wonders whether the garb is a silk trail sweeping a yard or more into the mire; boots with heels under the instep, deforming the ankles and giving the whole figure an awkward stoop forward; hair combed back from the face so as to ...
Master Uncertainty through Active Volatility Management by Larry Shover
However,muchmore important than the prophet's garb is the prophet's results. Predicting thefuture is arguably the onlyarea inwhich humansare always spectacularly incompetent. StanleyKubrick's classicscience fictionfilm 2001: ASpace ...
by James M. Robinson
process, sharing an in-group's knowledge both of the disaster-course of the culture and of an ideal, radical alternative not commonly known — all this in modern garb is the real challenge rooted in such materials as the Nag Hammadi library.
What Is Veiling? (2014)
by Sahar Amer
In the nineteenth century, and in some secular and liberal circles still today, the Muslim veil is inextricably associated with discussions of development, reform, and progress, and women's garb is the key measure 4 Introduction.
by Frank Adam
In modern Albania, on the shores of the Adriatic, the clan system is still in full swing and the national garb is a species of kilt. Mrs. Will Gordon, in A Woman in the Balkans (Nelson, 1918), says : " The different tribes [of Albania] wage war one ...
He Says/she Says Shakespeare (2008)
by Francesco Aristide Ancona, Mary Ives Thompson
garb is a powerful symbol, but it is not the sole determining factor in Rosalind's newly discovered self-reliance. Instead, it is the combination of the clothing and the absence of any male authority figure that allows Rosalind to become a fully ...
by James McConkey Robinson
and of an ideal, radical alternative not commonly known — all this in modern garb is the real challenge rooted in such materials as the Nag Hammadi library. To be sure, these roots, fascinating and provocative as they Introduction Robinson.
by John Shakespear
garb, s. f. 1. A blow, beating. 2. Violence. 3.
Garb., CHIN., Puis., Verat Gall-Stones. — Bell.
An Alphabetical Dictionary of Coats of Arms Belonging to Families in Great Britain and Ireland (1874)
by John Woody Papworth
a garb .... quartering a leopard's head. William SvwAnD, London, 1330. Arg. a boar's head couped in pale az. in the ...
The Cowboy Encyclopedia (1996)
by Richard W. Slatta
FASHIONS While cowboy garb is always in style in most parts of the West, cowboy fashion elsewhere waxes and wanes. For working cowboys, rodeo riders , and ranch folk, boots, jeans, and hat are regular work clothes. According to a 1 99 1 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for garb
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about garb
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: june29
Photo credit: Kai Hendry
Photo credit: june29
Photo credit: K Tao
- Wedding Garb
Worf and Jadzia's wedding outfits.
Photo credit: aprilandrandy
- Grand Canyon garb
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Celebration garb
Photo credit: la01
- Baptismal Garb
The baptismal outfit for Tommy. Judy picked it out and once again she did a great job!
Photo credit: tlillis4
- Colorful garb
Photo credit: quinn.anya
- Garb View
View from Sarah Garb's classroom, Two Rivers Charter School in Washington, D.C.
Photo credit: EducationSector
- Traditional Garb
Photo credit: benklocek
- Colourful garb
Photo credit: goosmurf
- Islamic Garb
Wooden stands to hold your Koran while you sit on the floor
Photo credit: griffhome
- Eastwest Garb
Side opening Long Jawns, A traditional style Kimono and medieval style hood.
Photo credit: Lastwear
- Gnome garb
Photo credit: JBrazito
- New garb
The best of the full length shots, but still blurry. Looks like the fitted hose worked!
Photo credit: Falashad
- Running garb
Photo credit: mmarchin
- TWA garb
Photo credit: Average Jane
- Chauffeur Garb
Photo credit: thekirbster
- Seasonal Garb
Photo credit: thekirbster
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about garb
Video shows what garb means. Fashion, style of dressing oneself up.. A type of dress or clothing.. A guise, external appearance.. garb pronunciation. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of garb!
Quotes about garb
Vice is most dangerous when it puts on the garb of virtue.
more quotes about garb...
Scrabble value of G2A1R1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GARB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of garb!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of garb to see it in context!