The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun garrison:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun garrison
- Definition of the verb garrison
- Phrases with Garrison
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Garrison
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Garrison
- Photos about Garrison
- Videos about Garrison
- Quotes about Garrison
- Scrabble value of G2A1R1R1I1S1O1N1
- Anagrams of GARRISON
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun garrison
What does garrison mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: garrisons
- a fortified military post where troops are stationed
- domain: armed forces / armed services / military / military machine / war machine
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of garrison: fort
- more generic terms: military post / post = military installation at which a body of troops is stationed
- instance: Fort George Gordon Meade / Fort George G. Meade / Fort Meade = a United States Army base in Maryland
- United States abolitionist who published an anti-slavery journal (1805-1879)
- the troops who maintain and guard a fortified place
Alternative definition of the noun garrison
- A permanent military post.
- The troops stationed at such a post.
Definition of the verb garrison
What does garrison mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: garrisoned | garrisoning | garrisons
- station (troops) in a fort or garrison
Alternative definition of the verb garrison
- To assign troops to a military post
- To convert into a military fort
- Garrison is a hamlet in Putnam County, New York, United States. It is part of the town of Philipstown, on the east side of the Hudson River, across from the United States Military Academy at West Point. The Garrison Metro-North Railroad station serves the town.
- Garrison is a city in McLean County, North Dakota, United States. The population was 1,453 at the 2010 census. Garrison was founded in 1905 by brothers Theodore and Cecil Taylor. Theodore was a rancher in nearby Montrail County, and later was elected Sheriff of Burleigh County. The brother's direct ancestor was Joseph Henry Taylor, trapper and author of four books and numerous newspaper articles during his 40 years of pioneering in North Dakota. His books included Frontier and Indian Life and its companion, Kaleidescope Lives. He was the editor of the Washburn paper, the McLean County Mail.
- Garrison is a city in Nacogdoches County, Texas, United States. The population was 895 at the 2010 census.
- Garrison is a city in Crow Wing County, Minnesota, USA, on Mille Lacs Lake. The population was 210 at the 2010 census. The city lies within Garrison Township. It is part of the Brainerd Micropolitan Statistical Area.
- Garrison is a city in Benton County, Iowa, United States. The population was 371 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Cedar Rapids Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Garrison is a village in Butler County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 54 at the 2010 census.
- Garrison is a small village near Lough Melvin in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. The Roogagh River runs through the village. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 357 people. It is within the Fermanagh District Council area.
- Garrison is an unincorporated community in Millard County, Utah, United States. It is home to a Utah Department of Transportation yard and office, but other than that, offers no services.
- Garrison is an unincorporated community in southeast Christian County, Missouri. It is located on Route 125 about 15 miles southeast of Sparta.
- Garrison a.k.a. Garrison, West Virginia: Garrison is an unincorporated community and coal town in Boone County, West Virginia, United States. Garrison is 3 miles east-southeast of Sylvester. Garrison had a post office, which closed on March 30, 1989.
- read more about Garrison, West Virginia
Phrases with Garrison
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Garrison
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Migrant Tales from the Ozark Hills and the Mexican Highlands by Philip Garrison
Garrison is an award-winning writer and this book shows why.
Collected from His Journals: with Copious Extracts from His Principal Works on Religious Subjects ... by Andrew Burn
About a mile out of the garrison is the Black-Town ; where many Europeans have houses, and where reside ...
by Bodge, George Madison Bodge
The Lancaster garrison is an exception to the above rule, as it seems to demand a fuller notice. The Nashaway Indians were the native inhabitants of the country bordering upon the Nashua river. The name of the sachem of this tribe, at the first ...
The Roman Frontier in the 4th and 5th Centuries by Rob Collins
Though the military garrison is a major presence in the frontier and dominates its archaeology, other important communities co-existed with the limitanei. These people are most easily examined by distinguishing between different settlement ...
The Bush Garden (1995)
Essays on the Canadian Imagination by Northrop Frye
A garrison is a closely knit and beleaguered society, and its moral and social values are unquestionable. In a perilous enterprise one does not discuss causes or motives: one is either a fighter or a deserter. Here again we may turn to Pratt, ...
by Murray Rothbard
Garrison is an associate professor of economics at Auburn University. Helpful comments on an earlier draft of this paper from Parth Shah, Sven Thommesen, and an anonymous referee are gratefully acknowledged.
by John Grasso
GARRISON JACKSON, ZINA LYNNA. B. 16 November 1963, Houston, Texas. Zina Garrison was one of the first black female tennis players to achieve fame and the first African American female since Althea Gibson to reach the finals of a ...
The Definitive Encyclopedia and Document Collection by Spencer C. Tucker
William Lloyd Garrison of Massachusetts, editor of the antislavery newspaper The Liberator and one of the founders of the American Anti-Slavery Society, was one of the most influential figures in the abolitionist movement. (National Archives) ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
In the mean time, however, the usual supplies of provisions being cut off, the garrison began to feel all the horrors of famine.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Garrison
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Garrison
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: nevan
Photo credit: brianteutsch
Photo credit: Golden Pheasant
- Shoebury Garrison planet
Photo credit: exfordy
- MILW E72 WB At Garrison August 1971xRP
MILW #E72 is heading West thru Garrison, MT, August 1971. The open front door serves as a primitive air conditioning system
Photo credit: drewj1946
View more pictures about William Lloyd Garrison.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Garrison
Click on an item to play that video:
- Samhain ~ Halloween 10.31.13 The Deeper Meaning by Cal Garrison
- Garrison Meaning
Video shows what garrison means. A permanent military post.. The troops stationed at such a post.. Occupants.. Garrison Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Garrison Evans - Meaning of Life (Original Song)
- Garrison Keillor at NCEA 2010: "Before parenting was a verb"
and then the battery died.
See also the pronunciation examples of Garrison!
Quotes about Garrison
Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have, which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known. (Garrison Keillor)
more quotes about garrison...
Scrabble value of G2A1R1R1I1S1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine