On this page:
Definition of the noun genus agrostis
What does genus agrostis mean as a name of something?
- annual or perennial grasses cosmopolitan in northern hemisphere: bent grass (so named from `bent' meaning an area of unfenced grassland)
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Agraulus / genus Agraulus / Agrestia / genus Agrestia / Agrestis / genus Agrestis / Anomalotis / genus Anomalotis / Bromidium / genus Bromidium / Candollea / genus Candollea / Decandolia / genus Decandolia / Didymochaeta / genus Didymochaeta / Heptaseta / genus Heptaseta / Lachnagrostis / genus Lachnagrostis / Linkagrostis / genus Linkagrostis / Neoschischkinia / genus Neoschischkinia / Notonema / genus Notonema / Pentatherum / genus Pentatherum / Podagrostris / genus Podagrostris / Senisetum / genus Senisetum / Trichodium / genus Trichodium / Agrostis
- more generic term: plant genus = a genus of plants
- member of: family Graminaceae / family Gramineae / family Poaceae / Graminaceae / Gramineae / grass family / Poaceae = the grasses: chiefly herbaceous but some woody plants including cereals; bamboo; reeds
- member: bent grass / bent-grass / bent = grass for pastures and lawns especially bowling and putting greens
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for genus Agrostis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
The genus Agrostis Clover. Trifolium ...
by Douglas M. Considine
genus Agrostis. Redtop, described separately ...
A Technological Dictionary: explaining the terms of the arts, sciences, literature, professions and trades (1846)
by W. M. BUCHANAN
See BENze BENT, bent-grass, a name comm all the species of grasses composi genus Agrostis. There are five species. BEN'z.INE, the name applied b scherlick to the bi-carburet of hy. which is procured by heating 1 acid with lime.
by W. M. Buchanan
BENT, bent-grass, a name common to all the species of grasses composing the genus Agrostis. There are five British | species. BEN'zINE, the name applied by Mitscherlick to the bi-carburet of hydrogen, which is procured by ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for genus Agrostis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: