On this page:
Definition of the noun genus alpinia
What does genus alpinia mean as a name of something?
- perennial rhizomatous herbs of Asia and Australia and Polynesia having ginger-scented rhizomes
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Adelmeria / genus Adelmeria / Albina / genus Albina / Buekia / genus Buekia / Catimbium / genus Catimbium / Cenolophon / genus Cenolophon / Elmeria / genus Elmeria / Eriolopha / genus Eriolopha / Guillainia / genus Guillainia / Hellenia / genus Hellenia / Hellwigia / genus Hellwigia / Heritiera / genus Heritiera / Kolowratia / genus Kolowratia / Languas / genus Languas / Martensia / genus Martensia / Odontychium / genus Odontychium / Strobidia / genus Strobidia / Zerumbet / genus Zerumbet / Alpinia
- synonyms of genus Alpinia: genus Languas / genus Zerumbet
- more generic term: plant genus = a genus of plants
- member of: family Zingiberaceae / ginger family / Zingiberaceae = a family of tropical monocotyledonous plants of order Musales
- Alpinia galanga / galangal = southeastern Asian perennial with aromatic roots
- Alpinia officinalis / Alpinia officinarum / lesser galangal = Chinese perennial with pyramidal racemes of white flowers and pungent aromatic roots used medicinally and as flavoring
- Alpinia purpurata / red ginger = an ornamental ginger native to Pacific islands
- Alpinia speciosa / Alpinia Zerumbet / Languas speciosa / shall-flower / shell ginger / shellflower = cultivated for its shining oblong leaves and arching clusters of white flowers with pink shading and crinkled yellow lips with variegated magenta stripes
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for genus Alpinia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby
The genus Alpinia is named after him. ALPIN1A. See Galangale. ALPS. The word Alp is of Celtic origin, and signifies, according to some authorities, "white," and according to others, "high." Thus the Alps may be simply the White Mountains, ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1910)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information
The genus Alpinia, belonging to the order Zingiberaceae, was named after him by Linnaeus. ALPS, the collective name for one of the great mountain systems of Europe. r. Position and Name. — The continent of Europe is no more than a great ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for genus Alpinia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Anagrams of GENUS ALPINIA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of genus Alpinia!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of genus Alpinia to find many related words and phrases!