Glass appears in the following tongue twister:
- Green glass globes glow greenly.
Glass appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Sir, be dross, algae, rusts or frosts, urea, glass or debris.
- Won’t a pure elixir tame a glass algae matrix I leer up at now?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun glass:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun glass:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun glass
- Definition of the verb glass
- Phrases with Glass
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glass
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glass
- Photos about Glass
- Video language resources about Glass
- Sign language
- Quotes about Glass
- Scrabble value of G2L1A1S1S1
- Anagrams of GLASS
- Share this page
Glass is sometimes a misspelling of class.
The word glass is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun glass
What does glass mean as a name of something?
Glass is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: glasses
- a brittle transparent solid with irregular atomic structure
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic word: solid = matter that is solid at room temperature and pressure
- more specific terms:
- natural glass = magma of any composition that cooled very rapidly
- milk glass / opal glass = a milky white translucent or opaque glass
- optical glass = clear homogeneous glass of known refractive index
- crown glass = a glass blown into a globe which is later flattened and spun to form a disk
- soft glass = glass having a relatively low softening point
- ground glass = glass that diffuses light due to a rough surface produced by abrasion or etching
- ground glass = particulate glass made by grinding and used as an abrasive
- lead glass = glass containing lead oxide
- shatterproof glass / laminated glass / safety glass = glass made with plates of plastic or resin or other material between two sheets of glass to prevent shattering
- sodium silicate / soluble glass / water glass = a viscous glass consisting of sodium silicate in solution
- stained glass = glass that has been colored in some way
- wire glass = a glass that contains a layer of wire netting in it
- part of: drinking glass = a container made of glass for holding liquids while drinking
- substance of: glassware / glasswork = an article of tableware made of glass; plate glass / sheet glass = glass formed into large thin sheets
- a container made of glass for holding liquids while drinking
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of glass: drinking glass
- more generic word: container = any object that can be used to hold things
- more specific terms:
- beer glass = a relatively large glass for serving beer
- bumper = a glass filled to the brim
- goblet = a drinking glass with a base and stem
- highball glass = a tall glass for serving highballs
- liqueur glass = a small glass for serving a small amount of liqueur
- parfait glass = a tall slender glass with a short stem in which parfait is served
- rummer = a large drinking glass (ovoid bowl on a stem) for drinking toasts
- schooner = a large beer glass
- seidel = a glass for beer
- shot glass / jigger / pony = a small glass adequate to hold a single swallow of whiskey
- brandy snifter / brandy glass / snifter = a globular glass with a small top
- tumbler = a glass with a flat bottom but no handle or stem
- water glass = a glass for drinking water
- wineglass = a glass that has a stem and in which wine is served
- the quantity a glass will hold
- a small refracting telescope
- an amphetamine derivative used in the form of a crystalline hydrochloride; used as a stimulant to the nervous system and as an appetite suppressant
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of glass: chalk / chicken feed / crank / deoxyephedrine / ice / meth / methamphetamine / methamphetamine hydrochloride / shabu / trash
- more generic terms: amphetamine / pep pill / speed / upper = a central nervous system stimulant that increases energy and decreases appetite; controlled substance = a drug or chemical substance whose possession and use are controlled by law
- a mirror; usually a ladies' dressing mirror
- glassware collectively
Alternative definition of the noun glass
- [uncountable] A solid, transparent substance made by melting sand with a mixture of soda, potash and lime.
- A vessel from which one drinks, especially one made of glass, plastic, or similar translucent or semi-translucent material.
- The quantity of liquid contained in such a vessel.
- [physics, uncountable] Amorphous (non-crystalline) substance.
- [uncountable] Glassware.
- A mirror.
- A magnifying glass or telescope.
- [basketball, colloquial] The backboard.
- [ice hockey] The clear, protective screen surrounding a hockey rink.
- A barometer.
Definition of the verb glass
What does glass mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: glassed | glassing | glasses
- furnish with glass
- scan (game in the forest) with binoculars
- enclose with glass
- put in a glass container
- become glassy or take on a glass-like appearance
Alternative definition of the verb glass
- [transitive] To furnish with glass; to glaze.
- [transitive] To enclose with glass.
- [transitive, British, colloquial] To strike (someone), particularly in the face, with a drinking glass with the intent of causing injury.
- To bombard an area with such intensity (nuclear bomb, fusion bomb, etc) as to melt the landscape into glass.
- To view through an optical instrument such as binoculars
- "Glass" is a 1958 Dutch short documentary film by director and producer Bert Haanstra. The film won the Academy Award for Documentary Short Subject in 1959. The film is about the glass industry in the Netherlands. It contrasts the hand made crystal from the Royal Leerdam Glass Factory with automated bottle making machines.It has varying music styles from jazz to techno.It shows how much skill of hand and eye is used to make bottles by hand.It tells us about the new era of machinery that is takin over hand made goods.It is often acclaimed to be the perfect short documentary.
- also known as Glas
- country: Netherlands
- language: Dutch Language
- producers: Bert Haanstra & George K. Arthur
- written by Bert Haanstra
- cinematography by Eduard van der Enden
- edited by Bert Haanstra & Ralph Sheldon
- music by Pim Jacobs
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (57 years ago)
- "Glass" is a film.
- "Glass" is a 1989 Australian erotic thriller which was the feature debut of Chris Kennedy.
- country: Australia
- language: English Language
- "Glass" a.k.a. "Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts" is a 2007 documentary on the life of American composer Philip Glass directed by Scott Hicks.
- read more about Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts
Glass is a fictional character from the 1993 movie The Innocent.
Phrases with Glass
Phrases starting with the word Glass:
- glass in
- glass eye
- Glass Jaw
- Glass Carp
- Glass Coil
- Glass Felt
- Glass frog
- Glass Goby
- Glass harp
- glass over
- Glass Spot
- glass wool
Phrases ending with the word Glass:
View more phrases with the word Glass in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glass
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Census Reports Tenth Census (1883)
June 1, 1880 by United States. Census Office
The celebrated Bohemian glass is a lime glass, as is also the “ Gobeleterie” of the French, which is a silicate of lime and soda, potash being used only in a better...
Census Reports Tenth Census: Report of the manufacturers of the United States at the Tenth Census (June 1, 1980), embracing general statistics and monographs on power used in manufacturers. The factory system. Interchangeable mechanism. Hardware, cutlery, etc. Iron and steel. Silk manufacture. Cotton manufacture. Woolen manufacture. Chemical products and salt. Glass manufacture (1883)
by United States. Census Office
The celebrated Bohemian glass is a lime glass, as is also e “Gobeleterie” of the French, which is a silicate of lime and soda, potash being used only in a better...
For Class-10 by A. Ramakrishna
cSiO2 + CO2 Commercial glass is a mixture of all these silicates: Na2O.aSiO2 + Na2O.bSiO2 + Na2O.
Primary Writing: Book G (2006)
The interesting thing about molten glass is that it does not behave like other most other liquids as it cools.
Maritime Security (2015)
Protection of Marinas, Ports, Small Watercraft, Yachts, and Ships by Daniel J. Benny, Ph.D
Wire-Reinforced Glass Wire-reinforced glass is an annealed glass with wire imbedded into the glazing. While it looks as if it adds...
Tempered Glass Tempered glass is a stronger material, but can be defeated easily. When broken, it breaks ...
Data for Architects, Designing and Constructing Engineers, and Contractors ... by George A. Hool, Nathan Clarke Johnson
glass is the standard commercial thickness for general glazing purposes. The H and Hs-in. (class is largely used for residence windows, car sash, leaded glass, and wherever high polish clear vision, and minimum weight are ...
Brand Society (2010)
How Brands Transform Management and Lifestyle by Martin Kornberger
Large Glass is an almost 11X 70-inch large-framed window in which Duchamp inserted wires, foil and other materials...
by Dean Starkman, Martha Hamilton, Ryan Chittum, Felix Salmon
Still, glass is a brittle material. And while brittle materials...
The key to Gorilla Glass is that the compression layer keeps cracks from propagating through the material and catastrophically letting tension take over. Drop a phone once and the ...
Beginners Guide to Greenhouse Materials and Construction by Abe Edwards
Glass is the traditional greenhouse covering and has been used for hundreds of years. Glass is generally the most attractive and permanent, material, barring hailstorms. Glass on a greenhouse will never need replacing, barring breakage.
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
ends of *endodontic files and *reamers by placing them in a container containing glass beads heated to approximately 225°C (437°F) for a defined period of time. Glass bead sterilizers are ineffective against prions, and the effectiveness of the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glass
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Glass
Click on an item to view that photo:
Giravaru Coffee Shop, Maldives
Photo credit: shazwan
Photo credit: xJason.Rogersx
Photo credit: Arenamontanus
Photo credit: S Baker
Exhibit at Rhode Island School of Design
Photo credit: Christopher Gosselin
Glass exhibit at Rhode Island School of design
Photo credit: Christopher Gosselin
Photo credit: otodo
Photo credit: sk8geek
Photo credit: Kit4na
FUJIFILM X10 Test Photo
Photo credit: kibun
Photo credit: nahid-v
Photo credit: blondinrikard
Photo credit: Jorn van Maanen
Photo credit: Mr B's Photography
Photo credit: nahid-v
Photo credit: grongar
Photo credit: lagalag15
- Glass Weed
Photo credit: r-z
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Glass
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lewmar Definition Glass
- Lexus RX 350 - Double Paned Glass Explanation
Highlights CAR TYPE SUV TRANSMISSION 6-speed Shiftable Automatic BASIC WARRANTY4 Yr./ 50000 Mi. BLUETOOTH HEATED SEATS TOTAL SEATING 5 ...
- Anti Gravity Levitating Glass and full explanation of how you can do it
LEARN MAGIC TRICKS...
- Vanishing Glass Explanation | Fantasma Magic Moments
Fantasma Magician Simon Lovell shows you how to do the trick "Vanishing Glass!" See the trick at...
- ICE Digital LED Glass Panels Demo and Explanation
- X-ray absorbing glass Meaning
Video shows what X-ray absorbing glass means. glass (having a high lead content) that resists the penetration of X-rays and gamma rays. X-ray absorbing glass ...
- Glass meaning and pronunciation
Slang term for high purity methamphetamine. According to DEA reffers to any product wiyh 85% or higher purity. In real street usage reffers to any product with a ...
- Carnival glass Meaning
Video shows what carnival glass means. A type of glassware dating from the early 20th century, notable for lustrous colors.. carnival glass synonyms: aurora ...
- 2 Glass Explanation
- Glass Animals - "Black Mambo" (Live Jungle Slang) | Audio
Glass Animals finest live performance of "Black Mambo" from their stunning debut album 'Zaba'. Track from JBTV Stage in Chicago. Properly featuring visuals of ...
- Chalcogenide glass Meaning
Video shows what chalcogenide glass means. Any of several inorganic polymers of sulphur, selenium and tellurium, that are transparent to infrared radiation ...
- Glass Vocabulary: Glassmaking Techniques and Other Vocabulary D to L
Dichromatic glass Glass which shows different colors when seen with either transmitted or reflected light. Drops Blobs of glass applied for decoration or to ...
- Ever Filling Glass Magic Trick with Explanation
Another Stage Magic revealed. Ever Filling glass magic secret is revealed in this video. Watch and Have fun!
- Glass Animals - "Gooey" (Live Jungle Slang) | Audio
Glass Animals finest live performance of "Gooey" from their stunning debut album 'Zaba'. Track from JBTV Stage in Chicago. Properly featuring visuals of ...
- Glass Meaning
Video shows what glass means. An amorphous solid, often transparent substance made by melting sand with a mixture of soda, potash and lime.. A vessel from ...
- Glass Animals - "Pools" (Live Jungle Slang) | Audio
Glass Animals finest live performance of "Pools" from their stunning debut album 'Zaba'. Track from JBTV Stage in Chicago. Properly featuring visuals of ...
- MLP FiM - "Glass of Water" - Multi Language
Part 1: 0:00 Finnish 0:16 Hungarian 0:30 Czech 0:45 Slovene 1:03 Arabic 1:18 BR PRT 1:33 Latino Part 2: 1:51 Spanish 2:07 French 2:22 Italian 2:37 EU PRT ...
- Dr Lillian Glass on Dr Phil Body Language of Couple on a Date
- SPACE LUMINA GLASS DESCRIPTION. NOW AVAILABLE IN INDIA
- "Sound Made From Broken Glass" Adjective Animal // GASst17.3
- Dr. Lillian Glass on Dr Phil discussing Casey Anthony's body language
Dr, Lillian Glas discusses Casey Anthony's Body language on the jailhouse tapes with Dr. Phil. Dr. Glass explains the signals of deception Casey exhibits when ...
- Insider- Gary Coleman Walking Off Set- Dr. Lillian Glass body language analysis
Dr. Lillian Glass on the Insider does a body language analysis of Gary Coleman when he walked off the set of the Inside after fightiung with Lisa Bloom.
- Dr. Lillian Glass Reading Celebrity Body Language with Robert Verdi- Fashion Police
Dr. Lillian Glass discusses Body Language of Celebrities on the Style Network with Robert Verdi from Paris Hilton to Jada Pinkett Smith, Sara Jessica Parker, ...
- Body Language Dancing With the Stars- Dr. Lillian Glass
Dr. Lillian Glass, Body Language Expert on Dancing WIth the Stars andlyzes the Body Language of the celebrities.
- Entertainment Tonight Dr. Lillian Glass Body Language of Jon and Kate
Dr. Lillian Glass, Body Language Expert for ET discussess the body lanhuage of Jon and Kate Gosselin as they announced their divorce on their show. She also ...
- How to install Full glass themes for windows7(Very Clear Description)
this helps you to install full glass themes in your wndows ,these are...
- Dr. Lillian Glass on Swift Justice With Nancy Grace -body language analysis
Dr, Lillian Glass on Nancy Grace's syndicated show Swift Justice doing a body language analysis of the defendant and the plaintiff. To lern more about Dr. Lillian ...
- Dr. Lillian Glass on Nancy Grace Misty Cummings Body Language on the Early Show
Dr. Lillian Glass appears on Nancy Grace discussing teh body language of Mistgy Croslin Cummings and how she shows signs that she is in denial as well as ...
- Dr. Lillian Glass on Celebrity Body Language
Dr. Lillian Glass on Celebrity Body Language -Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown...
- Dr. Lillian Glass Access Hollywood- John Travolta Body Language
Dr. Lillian Glass on Acces Hollywood discussing his body language on the Red Carpet after allegations were made.
View more videos about Glass in, In Glass, Glass frog, Shot glass, Wine glass, Opera Glass, Under Glass, Watch glass, Cheval Glass, Claude glass, Glass Blower, Google Glass, Ground glass, Philip Glass, Glass ceiling, Looking Glass, Preston Glass, Stained glass, Through Glass, Glass harmonica, Soda-lime glass, Magnifying glass, and Borosilicate glass.
See also the pronunciation examples of Glass!
PINK - Raise your Glass - American Sign Language
performers: Universal Vibes and ASL Waves...
Quotes about Glass
Pink, blue, green, orange
Kind of rare, right?
This poem is nonsense
But at least it makes a point
About glass candy. (Addie Taino)
more quotes about glass...
Scrabble value of G2L1A1S1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GLASS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Glass!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Glass to see it in context!