The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun glory:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun glory
- Definition of the verb glory
- Phrases with Glory
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glory
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glory
- Photos about Glory
- Videos about Glory
- Sign language
- Quotes about Glory
- Scrabble value of G2L1O1R1Y4
- Anagrams of GLORY
- Share this page
The word glory is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun glory
What does glory mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: glories
- a state of high honor
- brilliant radiant beauty
- an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint
Alternative definition of the noun glory
- Great beauty or splendour, that is so overwhelming it is considered powerful.
- Honour and valour.
- Worship or praise, as in glory to God.
- Optical phenomenon caused by water droplets.
Definition of the verb glory
What does glory mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: gloried
- rejoice proudly
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Cause] [Verb] by [Experiencer] The beauty of the Grand Canyon has been marveled over by countless tourists [Experiencer - being] [Verb] I will suffer [Experiencer - being] [Verb] in [Cause] I delighted in such pleasant pursuits
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- more generic words: exuberate / exult / jubilate / rejoice / triumph = to express great joy
Alternative definition of the verb glory
- To exult with joy; to rejoice.
- To boast; to be proud.
- "Glory" is a 1989 American drama war film directed by Edward Zwick and starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Cary Elwes and Morgan Freeman. The screenplay was written by Kevin Jarre, based on the personal letters of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, the novel One Gallant Rush by Peter Burchard, and Lay This Laurel, Lincoln Kirstein's compilation of photos of the monument to the 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry on Boston Common.
- also known as 光榮戰役
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Freddie Fields
- production design by Norman Garwood
- art direction by Dan Webster & Keith Pain
- written by Kevin Jarre
- based on "One Gallant Rush", "Lay This Laurel; An Album on the Saint-Gaudens Memorial on Boston Common" by Lincoln Kirstein, Peter Burchard, Robert Gould Shaw
- Matthew Broderick as Col. Robert Gould Shaw
- Denzel Washington as Pvt. Trip
- Andre Braugher as Cpl. Thomas Searles
- Cary Elwes as Maj. Cabot Forbes
- John Finn as Sgt. Maj. Mulcahy
- Morgan Freeman as Sgt. Maj. John Rawlins
- Cliff DeYoung as Col. James M. Montgomery
- Jihmi Kennedy as Pvt. Jupiter Sharts
- Bob Gunton as Gen. Charles Garrison Harker
- Donovan Leitch Jr. as Capt. Charles Fessenden Morse
- Jane Alexander as Sarah Blake Sturgis Shaw
- Raymond St. Jacques as Frederick Douglass
- Peter Michael Goetz as Francis George Shaw
- Alan North as Gov. John Albion Andrew
- Richard Riehle as Quartermaster
- Jay O. Sanders as Gen. George Crockett Strong
- Christian Baskous as Edward L. Pierce
- J. D. Cullum as Henry Sturgis Russell
- RonReaco Lee as Mute Drummer Boy
- Daniel H. Jenkins as 'A' Company Officer
- Michael Smith Guess as 'A' Company Soldier #1
- Abdul Salaam El Razzac as 'A' Company Soldier #2
- Pete Munro as Surgeon
- Benji Wilhoite as Young Soldier
- Ethan Phillips as Hospital Steward
- Mark A. Levy as Bigoted Soldier
- Randell Haynes as Paymaster
- Afemo Omilami as Tall Contraband
- Keith Noble as Short Contraband
- Dan Biggers as Minister
- Marc Gowan as Dr. William B. Rogers
- Raymond Godshall Jr. as Dr. Charles G. Thorpe
- Robert Lee Minor as Contraband Soldier
- Joan Riordan as White Woman
- Saundra Dunson-Franks as Black Woman
- Mark A. Jones as 54th Soldier
- Peter Grandfield as 10th Connecticut Soldier #1
- Mark Margolis as 10th Connecticut Soldier #2
- Paul Desmond as 10th Connecticut Soldier #3
- Tom Barrington as 10th Connecticut Soldier #4
- Michael Fowler as 10th Connecticut Soldier #5
- Richard Wright as 10th Connecticut Soldier #6
- Frank Blair as Darian Farmer
- Carla Brothers as Charlotte Forten
- Bill Chemerka as Confederate Officer
- Rachel Lea Grundfast as Ellen Shaw
- Kevin R. Hershberger as Confederate Soldier #1
- Kevin Jarre as 10th Connecticut Soldier #7
- Jay Lance as Union Soldier #1
- William Mathis as Union Soldier #2
- casting by Mary Colquhoun
- cinematography by Freddie Francis
- edited by Steven Rosenblum
- music by James Horner
- costume design by Francine Jamison-Tanchuck
- set decoration by Garrett Lewis
- genres: War film, Historical fiction, Drama
- subjects: Robert Gould Shaw, 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, American Civil War, Racism
- rating: R (USA), PG (USA)
- released on (26 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Pvt. Silas Trip) nomination for Denzel Washington
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture (role: Pvt. Trip †) nomination for Denzel Washington
- Golden Globe Award for Best Director - Motion Picture nomination for Edward Zwick
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Freddie Fields
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score nomination for James Horner
- Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay - Motion Picture nomination for Kevin Jarre
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for Garrett Lewis & Norman Garwood
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Denzel Washington
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Freddie Francis
- Academy Award for Best Film Editing nomination for Steven Rosenblum
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing nomination for Gregg Rudloff, Russell Williams, Donald O. Mitchell & Elliot Tyson
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Trip), received by Denzel Washington
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography, received by Freddie Francis
- Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture (Role: Pvt. Trip), received by Denzel Washington
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing, received by Donald O. Mitchell, Gregg Rudloff, Russell Williams & Elliot Tyson
- Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay nomination for Kevin Jarre
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Motion Picture
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture nomination for Denzel Washington
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Motion Picture
- NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture, received by Denzel Washington
- BAFTA Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Freddie Francis
- official website: www.sonypictures.com/movies/glory
- "Glory" is a 1956 musical film directed by David Butler. It stars Margaret O'Brien and Walter Brennan.
"Glory" is a Russian novel written by Vladimir Nabokov between 1930 and 1932 and first published in Paris.
- also known as "Glory;", "Glory (Twentieth Century Classics)", [Podvig
- language: Russian Language
- author: Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov
- genre: Fiction
- subjects: Literature, Literary criticism, Classics, Soviet Union
- released in (83 years ago)
- Glory is a fictional character in the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer portrayed by Clare Kramer. Glory is a god from a hell dimension and was the main antagonist of the fifth season.
- also known as The Beast, That Which Cannot Be Named, The Abomination
- occupation: Villain
- created by Joss Whedon
- Glory is a fictional comic book superheroine created by Rob Liefeld. She first appeared in Youngblood Strikefile #1, and initially starred in books published by Liefeld's Extreme Studios, which was a partner studio of Image Comics, a publisher that Liefeld co-founded in 1992. Following Liefeld's departure from that publisher, the character went on to appear in books published by Liefeld's subsequent endeavor, Awesome Comics. An homage to Wonder Woman, Gloriana Demeter is a half-Amazonian, half-Demon warrior.
- created by Rob Liefeld
- Glory is a fictional character from the 1993 film Mad Dog and Glory.
"Glory" is a sculpture created by American artist Garry R. Bibbs in 1999. The sculpture resides on the corner of West Michigan Street in Indianapolis, Indiana. Glory is made from fabricated steel and bronze. Angels and trumpets are the two distinct images visible within the sculpture. The sculpture is very large, with dimensions of 80 ft x 40 ft x 1 ft, and it sits at the entrance to the J. F. Miller Center. Gibbs signed his name to the sculpture and included a copyright sign.
- completed in (16 years ago)
- "Glory" is the debut extended play (EP) by Australian hip hop recording artist Iggy Azalea, released on 30 July 2012, by Grand Hustle Records. The EP serves as her first project with T.I.'s label since the announcement of her signing back in March 2012. The EP features guest appearances from T.I., who also serves as the project's executive producer, along with fellow rappers B.o.B and Pusha T, as well as singer-songwriter Mike Posner. The EP's production was handled by Bei Maejor, Lil' C, Mike Posner and more.
- "Glory" is a song by American rapper Jay-Z featuring his daughter Blue Ivy Carter. Produced by The Neptunes, it premiered on Jay-Z's official website LifeandTimes.com on January 9, 2012, two days after his wife Beyoncé Knowles gave birth to the couple's first child Blue. "Glory" impacted US urban contemporary radio stations on January 17, 2012. The hip hop and rap song, is an emotional homage to Jay-Z's baby girl and wife. Lyrically, "Glory" is about the experience and the happiness of becoming a father for the first time. It also details the heartbreak the couple suffered over a previous miscarriage. The song opens with Blue's first heartbeat, and includes a sample of Blue's cries towards the end.
- lyrics by Jay-Z
- "Glory" is the eighth studio album from Christian rock band Kutless, and the album released on February 11, 2014 by BEC Recordings. It is the band's final album with long-time rhythm guitarist Nick DePartee, as well as their first and only album with drummer Kyle Peek, who took over Jeff Gilbert's position after departing from the band in 2012. The producers on the album were Ian Eskelin and Dave Lubben. This album received generally positive reception from critics.
- "Glory" is the second studio album under BEC Recordings by the Christian hip hop artist Manafest. In 2007, the album was nominated for a GMA Dove Award in the category Rap/Hip Hop Album of the Year.
- "Glory" is an award-winning musical album of James Horner, soundtrack.
- "Glory" is an instrumental album by Christian recording artist Michael W. Smith. Released in November 2011, the album is Smith's second instrumental album since releasing Freedom in 2000. The album was recorded with a 65-piece orchestra at AIR Studios Lyndhurst Hall in London and Wildwood Recording Studio in Nashville. The music was arranged by Smith's longtime friend David Hamilton, and produced by Smith himself.
- "Glory" is a KMFDM single from the album Angst. It contains three remixes of the title track "Glory", plus remixes of the tracks "Lust" and "Move On", both originally from Angst. There is also a rough mix of "Trust," which was released in its final version on the album Nihil.
- "Glory" is a 1994 album by KMFDM.
- "Glory" is a musical album of Spring Harvest.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Glory" is a composition.
- "Glory" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Tom Verlaine
- "Glory" is a musical album of Jesse Rocks.
- released on
- "Glory" is a musical album of Steve Mosco & Prince Alla.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Glory" is a musical single of Alton Miller & Dorothea Lynn Sharon.
- released on (15 years ago)
- Glory, also known as "La Gata Gangster", is a reggaeton singer.
- Glory: James Giddeon, better known by his stage name Glory is an American rapper.
There are other people with in their name, like June Glory, Glory Bangs, Glory Gallo, Glory Simon, Marie Glory, Glory Alozie, Zillah Glory, Glory Mukwati, Glory Mbayuwayu, Glory Van Scott and many others.
Glory is a musical group.
- albums: "Danger in This Game", "Positive Buoyant", "Crisis vs. Crisis", "2 Forgive Is 2 Forget"
- Glory is a Ship.
- GLORY is a Geocode, Aviation waypoint.
- Glory is used to denote the manifestation of God's presence in the Christian religious tradition.
- Glory and formerly Glory World Series is an international kickboxing promotion company founded in 2012 by Glory Sports International Pte Ltd. partners Pierre Andurand, Marcus Luer, Scott Rudmann and Total Sports Asia. The company has its headquarters in Singapore.
- also known as United Glory, Glory World Series
- official website: www.unitedglory.nl
- Glory: A glory is an optical phenomenon that resembles an iconic saint's halo about the shadow of the observer's head. The effect is believed to happen due to classical wave tunneling, when light nearby the droplet tunnels through air inside the droplet and, in the case of glory, is emitted backwards due to resonance effects.
- also known as 光環
- The Glory satellite was a planned NASA satellite mission that would have collected data on the chemical, micro-physical and optical properties—and the spatial and temporal distributions—of sulfate and other aerosols, and would have collected solar irradiance data for the long-term climate record. The science focus areas served by Glory included: atmospheric composition; carbon cycle, ecosystems, and biogeochemistry; climate variability and change; and water and energy cycles. The US$424 million satellite was lost on March 4, 2011, when its Taurus XL carrier rocket malfunctioned. A subsequent investigation revealed that the fairing system failed to open fully, causing the satellite to reenter the atmosphere at which point it likely broke up and burned.
- also known as 辉煌号卫星
- Glory is high renown, praise and honor obtained by notable achievements, and based in extensive common consent.
Phrases with Glory
Phrases starting with the word Glory:
- Glory Box
- glory pea
- glory fern
- glory hole
- glory lily
- Glory Wattle
- Glory Thistle
- Glory of Texas
- Glory of the Snow
Phrases ending with the word Glory:
- old glory
- morning glory
- Degree of Glory
- Kingdom of Glory
- Promote to Glory
- red morning-glory
Other phrase containing the word Glory:
View more phrases with the word Glory in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Glory
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Glory is a poison, good to be taken only in small Balzac.
Glory is the casual gift of thoughtless crowds ; it is the bribe of avaricious virtue.
Glory is a torch to kindle the noble mind, and confidence in the uncertain results of Mars is foolish.
A Nazareth Manifesto (2015)
Being with God by Samuel Wells
Glory is the wonder of the full presence of God that reveals God's utter desire to be present to us in joy and delight and attention and love; and at the same time it is the magnetic,
The Philosophical Dictionary (1802)
GLORY. (') BeN-AL-BETIF that worthy superior of the Dervises, one day said to them : Brethren, it is very fit, that you should often use that sacred form in our Koran, " in the name of the most merci- " ful God," for God sheweth mercy, and you ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Glory
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Glory
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Petit_louis
Photo credit: Numinosity (Gary J Wood)
celebrate for 201 photos
Photo credit: 7 july :-)
Photo credit: cgchryssa
Photo credit: letterT
Photo credit: Emanuele Comotti
Geometric poster made for fun
Photo credit: JHåland
Photo credit: 陈霆, Ting Chen, Wing
Photo credit: Peter Stabolepszy
Photo credit: fdecomite
Photo credit: It'sGreg
- Crowning Glory
The marvelous St. Michaels Mount in Marazion Cornwall, topped with a cloud crown just before sunrise.
Photo credit: Christopher Combe Photography
- Reflected glory
The Esperson building, Houston, TX
Photo credit: ldifranza
- Crowning Glory
Photo credit: Luckee Dogg
- Giant Glory FR
Photo credit: Daniel Panev
- Glory Cycles NeilPryde Demo
Flowers on the bike rack.
Photo credit: Glory Cycles
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Glory
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Dramatic Meaning Behind the Transformation Glory Logo
Gary Beaton, veteran television and film producer shares the dramatic meaning behind, and significance of the Transformation Glory Ministries logo... the Royal ...
- Faith Definition (Pastor Gregory Toussaint, Tabernacle of Glory)
- The Meaning and Significance of Glory - Charles R. Swindoll
Dr. Charles Swindoll, Chancellor at Dallas Theological Seminary and Senior Pastor of Stonebriar Community Church, talks to Day at DTS perspective students ...
- In all one's glory Meaning
Video shows what in all one's glory means. Completely naked. In all one's glory Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say in all one's ...
- Definition of Glory
Definition of Glory. Video Tags: Surf Wave Awesome.
- Glory Meaning
Video shows what glory means. Great beauty or splendour, that is so overwhelming it is considered powerful.. Honour, admiration, or distinction, accorded by ...
- Glory Mishap Explanation
Launch Commentator George Diller concludes coverage of the Glory/Taurus XL launch. If a recognizable person appears in this video, use for commercial ...
- Ayin Dalet meaning (Robert Heidler) - Glory to Zion International Ministies
- The Edge Of Glory Explanation
- Declare His Glory - Vocabulary Lesson
- Glory Hunter meaning and pronunciation
characteristics of glory hunters..... 1. will often choose a big club which is guaranteed of years at the top bracket of clubs 2. have no connection to the club 3.
- Ayin Dalet meaning (Robert Heidler) - Glory to Zion International Ministies
- For Glory - The Definition of "Ledgesanity"
- The Meaning Of Lady Gaga's 'Edge Of Glory' & Cover
- "HONOR before Glory" Youth Combat League explanation
- The Meaning and Significance of Glory Charles R Swindoll
- The Edge of Glory by Idiom 2011
- THE WAY :by definition for GOD's glory. IBEW drummer Blues Harp Praise GOD Angels sing hoedown
- Glory Optical Phenomenon- Explanation
An explanation of a glory- optical phenomenon.
- Fifa 15 Ultimate Team Road 2 Glory Ep. 1 ''Explanation''
- "His glory appears" Darlene Zschech with Lyrics (Guitar Chords at Description)
- Telangana language poets aspire to bring back its glory - V6 Spot Light
Telangana Language is one of the prominent language in the country which explicit the culture and tradition of state. Poets and analysts are making their efforts ...
- KING of GLORY the Movie & the Book ~ 4-Language Trailer
KING of GLORY the Book is available in several languages including English, Arabic, French, and Spanish. The world's most-translated and best-selling book ...
- Glory of Heaven(A Song of Heavenly Language)-
This song is heavenly language given from God in filled with the Holy Spirit. This video is one of Crystal Music 2014 Haifa, Israel. --- Lyrics --- The Father is love.
- Bagan, A Distant Glory (English language)
- Heath McNease - "The Weight of Glory" song description
Heath McNease talks in depth about his song "The Weight of Glory"
- Amen Barkhmor, Glory to the Father in Syriac language
See also the pronunciation examples of Glory!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Precious Lamb of Glory with Sign Language
Precious Lamb of Glory and Behold the Lamb with sign language for the deaf is performed by the Glory Choir and directed by Paula Orr during an Easter praise ...
- His Glory Appears Sign Language
via YouTube Capture.
- Glory Be to the Father in Sign Language
St. Richard's Catholic church has a sign language ministry. Come be a part. Paul Hitchner and family teach.
- HNU Sign Language for Holy Mass- Glory Be
- Sign Language - Love and Glory
Opening song by Blackpool's best new wave act. Performed at West Coast Rock Cafe on Friday the 5th of September 2008. This song is available on the ...
Quotes about Glory
Scrabble value of G2L1O1R1Y4
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GLORY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Glory!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Glory to see it in context!