The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun goal:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun goal
- Phrases with Goal
- Printed books with definitions for Goal
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Goal
- Photos about Goal
- Video language resources about Goal
- Sign language
- Quotes about Goal
- Scrabble value of G2O1A1L1
- Anagrams of GOAL
- Share this page
The word goal is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
The word goal and its family (goals) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun goal
What does goal mean as a name of something?
Goal is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: goals
- the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of goal: end
- more generic terms: cognitive content / content / mental object = the sum or range of what has been perceived, discovered, or learned
- more specific words:
- objective / object / target / aim = the goal intended to be attained
- bourne / bourn = an archaic term for a goal or destination
- end-all = the ultimate goal
- destination / terminus = the ultimate goal for which something is done
- no-goal = a nonexistent goal
- intention / purpose / design / intent / aim = an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
- intention = the goal with respect to a marriage proposal
- part of: plan of action = a plan for actively doing something
- the place designated as the end (as of a race or journey)
- game equipment consisting of the place toward which players of a game try to advance a ball or puck in order to score points
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic term: game equipment = equipment or apparatus used in playing a game
- more specific terms:
- a successful attempt at scoring
- example: the winning goal came with less than a minute left to play
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic word: score = the act of scoring in a game or sport
- more specific term: own goal = a goal that results when a player inadvertently knocks the ball into the goal he is defending
Specialised definition of the noun goal
Glossary of sports
in a game such as football or hockey, the space or opening into which a ball or puck must go to score points, usually a pair of posts with a crossbar and often a net (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
the score gained by getting the ball or puck into the goal (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a successful attempt at hitting, kicking, or throwing a ball or hitting a puck into a goal (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
something you are striving to do or achieve (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a final state reached when a task has been finished or has produced satisfactory results (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
an aim, the thing you are trying to achieve (2008. Dictionary of Leisure, Travel and Tourism. Third edition. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
the area bounded by crossbar, posts, and netting and defended by the goalkeeper (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / Australian rules football
six points, scored by kicking the ball between the two goal posts (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a successful kick of the ball between the two inner posts, worth six points (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
Glossary of sports / canoeing / whitewater slalom
an obstacle formed by two hanging poles, which must be crossed, in some cases backwards (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: gate
Glossary of sports / equestrian / show jumping
a type of obstacle, a bar hung from two posts (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: gate
Glossary of sports / hockey / field hockey
the field hockey goal is a net, 7 feet high, 12 feet wide, and 4 feet deep
Glossary of sports / hockey / ice hockey
provides one point; scored when a puck goes between the goalposts from the stick of an attacking player and entirely crosses the red line between the goalposts
the area made of the goalposts and the net guarded by the goalie and into which a puck must enter to score a point
- usage: informal
Glossary of sports / skiing / alpine skiing
an obstacle consisting of two poles which has to be passed (slalom, giant slalom, goal combination). (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: gate
Glossary of sports / soccer
a successful attempt to score, in which the whole of the ball crosses the goal line (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
a ball that crosses the goal line between the goalposts and below the crossbar for which a point is awarded; also, the 8-foot high, 24-foot wide structure consisting of two posts, a crossbar and a net into which all goals are scored
Glossary of sports / water polo
The water polo goal is made of two goal posts and a crossbar, from which a net is suspended. The goal posts are 3 meters apart and the crossbar is .9 meters above the water surface.
A score, which is made by throwing or dribbling the ball so that it goes completely across the goal line, between the posts and under the crossbar
Glossary of sports / water skiing
the marking of the start (start gate) and finish (finish gate) by means of two buoys (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
- synonym: gate
- "Goal" a.k.a. "Goal!" is a 2005 film directed by Danny Cannon. It is the first installment of a trilogy also named Goal! This film was made with full co-operation from FIFA, which is one of the reasons actual teams and players are used throughout the film. The second instalment, Goal II: Living the Dream, was released in February 2007. The third instalment, Goal! III: Taking on the World, was released straight to DVD in June 2009.
- also known as Goal! - Naissance d'un prodige, Goal! - Lebe deinen Traum, Goal!: The Impossible Dream, Goal! The Dream Begins, Goal! - Il film
- countries: United States of America, United Kingdom
- languages: English Language, Spanish Language
- producers: Lawrence Bender, Matt Barrelle, Mike Jefferies & Mark Huffam
- executive producers: Lawrence Bender & Peter Hargitay
- production design by Laurence Dorman
- art direction by Stuart Rose
- written by Ian La Frenais & Dick Clement
- based on a story by Mike Jefferies & Adrian Butchart
- Kuno Becker as Santiago Munez
- Alessandro Nivola as Gavin Harris
- Marcel Iureș as Erik Dornhelm
- Stephen Dillane as Glen Foy
- Sean Pertwee as Barry Rankin
- Kieran O'Brien as Hughie McGowan
- Greg Ellis as Charlie the Newcastle Fan
- Anna Friel as Roz Harmison
- Cassandra Bell as Christina
- Leonardo Guerra as Santiago Munez
- Tony Plana as Hernan Munez
- Míriam Colón as Mercedes
- Jorge Cervera as Cesar
- Herman Chavas as Referee #1
- Alfredo Rodríguez as Julio
- Donald Li as Chinese Restaurant Manager
- Kate Tomlinson as Val
- Zachary Johnson as Rory
- Jonathan Hernandez as Armando
- Rhydian Jones as Sales Person
- Christopher Connel as Reporter #1
- Peter Michael McGowan as Reporter #2
- Andy Hawthorne as Immigration Official #1
- Michael Gunn as Immigration Official #2
- Ashlea Sanderson as Girl
- Alex Parkin-Goodchild as Kid #1
- Calum Aynsley as Kid #2
- Christopher Fairbank as Foghorn
- Craig Heaney as Phil
- Jack McBride as Walter
- Robert Dixon as Bobby Redfern
- Gary Lewis as Mal Braithwaite
- Ashley Walters as Carl Francis
- Kevin Knapman as Jamie Drew
- Lee Ross as Bluto
- Stephen Graham as Des
- Andy Kidd as Bouncer
- Emma Field-Rayner as Lorraine
- Brian Lonsdale as Fan #1
- Glynis Brooks as Cleaner #1
- Maxine Evans as Cleaner #2
- Blondell Taylor as Sister
- Daniel Maier as Patient
- Frances Barber as Carol Harmison
- Madeleine Moffat as Woman in Tower Block
- Louis Lennie as Teenager #1
- Baden Burns as Teenager #2
- Nicholas Lumley as Taxi Dispatcher
- Mike Elliott as Gordon
- Louise Franklin as Drunk Girl
- casting by Elaine Grainger & Lucinda Syson
- cinematography by Michael Barrett
- edited by Chris Dickens
- music by Graeme Revell
- costume design by Lindsay Pugh
- set decoration by Jane Cooke
- genres: Sports, Romance Film, Drama
- subject: Football
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (9 years ago)
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie: Drama
- Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout Star - Male nomination for Kuno Becker
- "Goal" is a 2007 Malayalam film directed by Kamal. The film stars newcomers Rejith Menon and a Mumbai based Model Aksha Pardasany and Mukta George in the lead roles. The cast also includes, Mukesh and Rahman.
- country: India
- language: Malayalam Language
- written by Kalavoor Ravikumar
- cinematography by P. Sukumar
- edited by K. Rajagopal
- music by Vidyasagar
- genres: Romance Film, Sports, Comedy, Drama, Malayalam Cinema, World cinema
- released on (7 years ago)
- award: - Asianet Film Award for Best New Face of the Year (Male), received by Rejith Menon
- "Goal" a.k.a. "Get Set Goal": Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal is a 2007 Bollywood sport film. It was released on 29 November 2007, produced by Ronnie Screwvala and directed by Vivek Agnihotri for UTV Motion Pictures. The film stars John Abraham, Bipasha Basu, Arshad Warsi and Boman Irani. The film's soundtrack is composed by Pritam with lyrics by Javed Akhtar. Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal is a contemporary fictional story of the South Asian community in the UK, told through the prism of professional football. The film received positive reviews though the film was only moderately successful at the box-office and was declared "Below average" by Box Office India. The film was premiered in the Tous Les Cinemas du Monde section of 2007 Cannes Film Festival.
- read more about Get Set Goal
- "Goal" a.k.a. "Goal!" is a 2012 short fantasy film written by Colin Cunningham & Mark Rickerby and directed by Colin Cunningham.
- country: Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Madison Graie
- art direction by Alyssa King
- written by Colin Cunningham
- based on a story by Mark Rickerby
- Evan Paul as The Boy
- Alice Shaw as Goalie
- Alice Shaw as Grandma
- Colin Cunningham as Commentator
- Brad Kelly as Mean Guy Soccer Player
- Jeffrey Weissler as Coach
- Geoff Redknap as Mummy
- Victor Landrie as Referee
- Dylan Paul as Soccer Player #1
- Forrest Weissler as Soccer Player #2
- Dave McBride as Soccer Player #3
- Jamie Saunders as Soccer Player #4
- Chris Baird as Soccer Player #5
- Ty Clark as Soccer Player #6
- Anders Weston as Soccer Player #7
- cinematography by Kevin Hall
- edited by Jordan Dawes
- music by Daryl Bennett
- costume design by Dawn Grey
- genre: Fantasy
- released on
"Goal" is a 1969 children's novel by prolific British author Michael Hardcastle. It is the third in a series of books focusing on the fortunes of fictitious English football team Scorton Rovers.
- released in (46 years ago)
- "Goal" a.k.a. "Goal!" is a 1988 soccer/football video game published by Jaleco for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game supports up to two players. It was released in Japan as Moero !! Pro Soccer.
- also known as Moero 5!! Pro Soccer
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- developers: Jaleco, Tose Co., Ltd.
- genre: Sports game
- publisher: Jaleco
- released on (26 years ago)
- "Goal" a.k.a. "Dino Dini's Goal": Dino Dini's Goal is a soccer computer game released by Virgin Games in 1993. It is considered by many to be the "true" sequel to Kick Off 2, as Kick Off's creator Dino Dini had moved from Anco and was responsible for all Goal's engineering and game design.
- also known as Goal!, !גול, Dino Dini's Goal!, 90 Minutes, Serious Soccer
- developer: Dini & Dini Productions
- genres: Sports game, Football
- publisher: Virgin Interactive
- released in (22 years ago)
"Goal" a.k.a. "Goal!" is an award-winning photo by Otto Metelmann, depicting: 'Goal!'.
- taken in (58 years ago)
- media: photograph
- "Goal" is the soundtrack album of 2007 film.
- "GOAL" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by 上田知華
- "GOAL" is a musical single of SAICO.
- released on (23 years ago)
- "Goal" is a musical single of Depth Charge.
- released in (25 years ago)
- "Goal" is a musical EP of The Billy Rubin.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Goal" is a musical album of Heaven Street Seven.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Goal" is a single by Yas.
- also known as Hadaf
- Goal refers to a method of scoring in many sports. It can also refer to the physical structure or area of the playing surface where scoring occurs. In several sports, a goal is the sole method of scoring, and thus the final score is expressed in the total number of goals scored by each team. In other sports, a goal may be one of several scoring methods, and thus may be worth a different set number of points than the others. A few of these sports use the term field goal to distinguish one scoring method from another.
- Goal a.k.a. The Goal! trilogy is a series of football films directed by Danny Cannon, Jaume Collet-Serra and Andrew Morahan. The first film, Goal!, was released in 2005, and the second film, Goal II: Living the Dream, was released in 2007. The third and final part, Goal III: Taking on the World, was released in 2009.
- GOAL is an international humanitarian agency dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest of the poor. It is a non-denominational, non-governmental and non-political organisation. Its founder and CEO is John O'Shea whilst others associated include the President of GOAL UK, Pat Cash, former Wimbledon champion.
Phrases with Goal
Phrases starting with the word Goal:
- Goal Area
- Goal Cage
- Goal kick
- goal line
- goal post
- goal judge
- Goal Third
- Goal Attack
- Goal Keeper
- Goal Umpire
Phrases ending with the word Goal:
View more phrases with the word Goal in thesaurus!
Printed books with definitions for Goal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
What's Best Next (2014)
How the Gospel Transforms the Way You Get Things Done by Matthew Aaron Perman
Your life goal is the concrete what. It is the chief way...
Explanation, Implementation and Simulation by Catrin Misselhorn
For example, suppose Ali's goal is that the monkey who rustles the leaves is captured and Kendo's goal is that the monkey who casts the shadow is captured, then Ali and Kendo could still engage in a joint action directed at the outcome that ...
Convince the C-Suite. Win Over Management. Secure the Sale. by William "Skip" Miller
THE GOAL IS A DECISION Business management gurus might define a goal as “ a desired result a person or a company...
If you put this into a selling context, this might be the definition: 200 A goal is the end point of a vision that, American ...
Human Resource Management (2007)
A Critical Text by John Storey
put it: The goal is a strategy that is forever morphing, forever conforming itself to emerging opportunities and incipient trends . The goal is an organization that is constantly making its future rather than ...
Association of Practice Management Educators by APME, John G. Classe, Lawrence S. Thal, Roger D. Kamen, Ronald S. Rounds
A goal is a prelude to action, driven by the motivation that expects to see it realized. Commitment is the key component to a...
Summary Document : a Joint River Management Plan Between
The first goal is that of "equality." Equality assumes that individuals have the same right to certain...
The third allocation goal is the recognition of “need" in distributing the resource. For example, those owning land along or near the river might ...
Selected Contributions of the Eighth International Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics by Gregory S. Chirikjian, Howie Choset, Marco Morales, Todd Murphey
One such design goal is the ease of use for systems where only a forward propagationroutine is available (that is, the simulation of the system Ioan A. Sucan ̧ and Lydia E. Kavraki Rice University, 6100 Main St., Houston TX, 77005 , USA can ...
26th International Conference on Conceptual Modeling, Auckland, New Zealand, November 5-9, 2007, Proceedings by Christine Parent, Klaus-Dieter Schewe, Veda C. Storey
In a data exchange scenario, given a set of correspondences between a source and a target schema, the goal is the automatic generation of queries able to transform data over the source into a format conforming to the target. In this paper , we ...
by Jason W. Brown
goal is the object (idea) of an intention (e.g., desire). The intention guides...
Though the goal is an objective toward which the action is striving, it is still an occurrent concept or proposition in which an incipient action is embedded.” Whether the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Goal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Goal
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: AntoB77
Photo credit: cudipeich
Football, Goal, Goal Line, Snow
Photo credit: birddogger - Charlie Bird
Photo credit: urban_data
Photo credit: grassrootsgroundswell
sorry saints fans again..
Photo credit: paisleyorguk
Photo credit: PV KS
Photo credit: César Rincón
Photo credit: Jonas B
Photo credit: ollesvensson
Photo credit: wwhyte1968
Photo credit: Luke Behal
- Goal ...
Photo credit: Jos Dielis
Photo credit: tornatore
Stuff at the Googleplex
Photo credit: Photographing Travis
- Football goal
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Hornchurch Stadium, London
Photo credit: Florian Christoph
- GOAL !
Photo credit: Thomas Leth-Olsen
- Goal volant
Photo credit: jeremysalmon
- Goal, Netherfield
Photo credit: grassrootsgroundswell
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Goal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Mitrovic (Newcastle) way of celebrating a goal/Explanation
Mitrovic way of celebrating a goal/Explanation.
- Distal goal Meaning
Video shows what distal goal means. a long-term or primary goal. Distal goal Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say distal goal.
- Roger Vyse Awesome Lacrosse Goal - Definition of Dangle
Roger Vyse of the Buffalo Bandits scores and amazing dangling goal against the Toronto Rock in the 2011 NLL Playoffs. Tiptoes the crease, fakes and buries ...
- Goal Meaning
Video shows what goal means. A result that one is attempting to achieve.. In many sports, an area into which the players attempt to put an object.. The act of ...
- FIFA 14 | Patrick Helmes BEAST GOAL // UltraHD 4K Definition
Have fun :)
- Field goal Meaning
Video shows what field goal means. When the ball is kicked through the uprights and over the crossbar (not after a touchdown) for 3 points.. A made shot that ...
- Definition Goal Montage #3
- Subbuteo - No Goal Explanation
- Definition Goal Montage #2
- Definition of a Cheeky Goal - Rossi (Fifa 12)
Cheeky Impossibru Goal by Rossi. Only in Fifa 12.
- Drop goal Meaning
Video shows what drop goal means. A goal scored by kicking the ball through the goal from open play, after the ball has touched the ground.. Drop goal ...
- Definition Goal Montage #1
- Physics Car- 3 Meter Goal Explanation
- More Meaning; Purpose and an inspiring personal goal story
- TOCATV: Toca Juniors U11 Boys TERRAPINS (Goal by Santiago - Great definition)
Saturday, September 19 - 5:00 PM Rutile FC 04 vs U11 Boys TERRAPINS Potomac ES (10311 River Road, Potomac, MD 20854) #WeAreToca #TOCA ...
- Eloise Writing Goal Explanation
- TOCATV: Toca Juniors U13 Boys HOYAS (Goal by Daniel - Great definition)
Saturday, September 19 - Avengers FC vs U13 Boys HOYAS Soccerplex #3 (14501 Shaeffer Road, Germantown, MD, 20841) #WeAreToca #TOCA ...
- Carkhuff Scale - Personalized Meaning, Problem, & Goal
- Aim Goal Target Objective Purpose - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Justin Westhoff miracle goal - amazing in any language
NAB's Footify FM captured Justin Westhoff's incredible goal in the Semi-Final with commentary in English, Greek, Punjabi and Spanish.
- Incredible Haxball Goal Esl
Los Asphalt make a incredible goal with 9 first passes.
- VT - Institucional Goal Language School
- SMART Goals: Sensory Based Goal Description
- GOAL/TIME/PAUSE : A BODY LANGUAGE
This video is a first draft. It is a collaborative project between artists, Kristalyn Robinson, Gabriela Pfau, Celeste Pfau and Ingrid Pfau, (with hopefully more artist ...
- Benzema goal by 22dron11 | GO4FIFA ESL |
Best Goal Benzema.
- Papi 14's Nice Trick Haxball Goal of ESL
Papi 14's Trick Goal Of ESL.
- EFL TV Goal Of The Year 2013 - Justin Van Unen (Vermont)
Justin Van Unen's goal against East Burwood has been named the 2013 EFL TV Goal of the Year.
- EFL TV - 2013 Goal of the Year
- Barking FC - Clapton FC ESL League Cup Semi Final Wining Goal - 28/04/2015
Jerry Jairette connects with James Briggs' free kick to put Clapton through to the 2015 ESL League Cup Final.
- Messi amazing magic free kick goal barcelona vs almeria in armenian language 2015
See also the pronunciation examples of Goal!
She is sign language story of Ram,Goal.
Zoo LA, enjoy :)
Quotes about Goal
like the football field
is not for one
to say one is best
but to show
why one is best
hair, balls, flags
a goal is all
goal goal goal (John Tiong Chunghoo)
more quotes about goal...
Scrabble value of G2O1A1L1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of GOAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Goal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Goal to see it in context!