On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun golden mean
What does golden mean mean as a name of something?
- the proportional relation between two divisions of line or two dimension of a plane figure such that short : long :: long : (short + long)
- the middle between extremes
Alternative definition of the noun golden mean
- A position of balance between good and evil.
- "Golden Mean" is a musical single of Arto Kumanto.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Golden Mean" is a musical EP of Pethrol.
- released on
- Golden mean a.k.a. Golden ratio: In mathematics, two quantities are in the golden ratio if their ratio is the same as the ratio of their sum to the larger of the two quantities. The figure on the right illustrates the geometric relationship.
- read more about Golden ratio
- Golden mean: In philosophy, especially that of Aristotle, the golden mean is the desirable middle between two extremes, one of excess and the other of deficiency. For example, in the Aristotelian view, courage is a virtue, but if taken to excess would manifest as recklessness, and is as deficient as cowardice.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Golden mean
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert B. Waltz
The Golden Ratio (The Golden Mean, The Section) The Golden Ratio, sometimes called the Golden Mean or q), is one of those “special numbers.
by Donald Fenna
called the golden mean. A rectangle having its lengthtobreadth ratio equal to the golden ratio is called a golden rectangle. Because of the factor, ...
Pocket Dictionary of Ethics (2010)
Over 300 Terms & Ideas Clearly & Concisely Defined by Stanley J. Grenz, Jay T. Smith
golden mean. An aphorism coined by *Aristotle that asserts that the excellence of the moral virtues consists ...
by Robert Allen
the golden mean avoidance of extremes; moderation regarded as an ideal. The phrase translates Latin aurea mediocritas (Horace, Odes 11.x.5); mediocritas in this sense does not have the derogatory implications of the ...
Dictionary of phrase and fable. [A dictionary of English literature] by W.D. Adams, with additions (1885)
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Golden Mean. Keep the golden mean. The wise saw of Cleobulos, king of Rhodes. (B.C. 630-569. ) IMstant alike from each, to neither lean, Dut ever keep the happy Golden Mean. flows, '• The Uotrfsn Kerala" Golden-mouthed. Chrysostom ; so ...
Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
Golden Mean. Keep the golden wan. The wise saw of Clcobu'los, King of Rhodes (E.C. 030-559). " riist.int aliko from each, to neither Iran, Itul ever kct'l> the happy (JoMen Mean.
A Thesaurus Dictionary of the English Language Designed to Suggest Immediately Any Desired Word Needed to Express Exactly a Given Idea (1906)
A Dictionary, Synonyms, Antonyms, Idioms, Foreign Phrases, Pronunciations, a Copious Correlation of Words by Francis Andrew March
Golden mean. Midway between the two extremes; moderation. Great-circle sailing. Sailing by the arc of a great circle. Half-and-half measures.
A Dictionary of Philosophy (1984)
Revised Second Edition by Antony Flew
golden mean. Moderation in a person's course of life. Aristotle saw the ...
by Eric W. Weisstein
Goldbach's Theorem GOLDBACH CONJECTURE Golden Mean GOLDEN RATIO Golden Ratio A number often encountered when taking the ratios of distances in simple geometric figures such as the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Golden mean
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Golden mean
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Golden Mean.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Golden mean
Golden mean Meaning
Video shows what golden mean means. A position of balance between good and evil.. Golden mean Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
Quotes about Golden mean
The mind that cloudward shouted
You’re mine you’re mine and always will be
And you who down to earth squatted
In the cry of my first memory
There’s no golden mean for this measure of love
I’ll sing below you’ll sing above (Miroslava Odalovic)