On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun golf stroke
What does golf stroke mean as a name of something?
- the act of swinging a golf club at a golf ball and (usually) hitting it
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of golf stroke: golf shot / swing
- more generic words: shot / stroke = the act of swinging or striking at a ball with a club or racket or bat or cue or hand
- more specific terms:
- downswing = a swing downward of a golf club
- slicing / slice / fade = a golf shot that curves to the right for a right-handed golfer
- hooking / draw / hook = a golf shot that curves to the left for a right-handed golfer
- driving / drive = hitting a golf ball off of a tee with a driver
- explosion = a golf shot from a bunker that typically moves sand as well as the golf ball
- putting / putt = hitting a golf ball that is on the green using a putter
- approach shot / approach = a relatively short golf shot intended to put the ball onto the putting green
- sclaff = a poor golf stroke in which the club head hits the ground before hitting the ball
- shank = a poor golf stroke in which the heel of the club hits the ball
- teeoff = the act of hitting a golf ball from the teeing ground at the start of each hole
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Golf Stroke
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
wood Golf course by sea—links Golf course obstacle—sand trap Golf expert— pro Golf peg—tee Golf score of one over par for a hole—bogey Golf score of one stroke under par—birdie Golf shot—chip Golf stroke—putt Golf trophy—Ryder ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
eagle golf scratch par golf starting point tee golf stick club golf stroke baff, chip, drive, loft, putt, sclaff golf term lie golf tournament anyone may enter open golf trolley buggy, cart goliard jester, minstrel Goliath's foe David Goliath's slayer David ...
by Lyle J. Micheli, M.D.
The golfer would describe a sudden and severe pain after the impact phase of the golf stroke. Pain is at the palmar and ulnar sides of the hand and gets worse when moving the wrist from side to side. These fractures have a high incidence of ...
by Elaine Costello
A golf stroke made by pulling: an accurate putt. □ (Mime swinging a putter (golf club)] With both A hands held near each other in front of the waist, right arm extended, left arm bent slightly, and both palms facing in, swing the hands slightly to ...
by Joel Alswang
hole-high of a ball which has been hit onto the putting green and ends up in line with the hole hole-in-one a golf stroke by a player which travels from the teeing ground to end up in the hole in the putting green (ie holing out with one stroke), ...
From 1500 to the Present by Peter Davies
The characteristic movement of the body and arms by which a golf stroke is made, commencing with the backswing and proceeding to the downswing and the follow- through. (1687 Thomas Kincaid Diary (Jan. 26) (in Book of ...
by Stuart Sutherland
a golf stroke); some believe ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Golf Stroke
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Golf Stroke to find many related words and phrases!