On this page:
Definition of the noun graminaceous plant
What does graminaceous plant mean as a name of something?
- cosmopolitan herbaceous or woody plants with hollow jointed stems and long narrow leaves
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of graminaceous plant: gramineous plant
- more generic terms: herb / herbaceous plant = a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties
- more specific terms:
- grass = narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals
- Saccharum officinarum / sugar cane / sugarcane = tall tropical southeast Asian grass having stout fibrous jointed stalks
- reed = tall woody perennial grasses with hollow slender stems especially of the genera Arundo and Phragmites
- bamboo = woody tropical grass having hollow woody stems
- member of: family Graminaceae / family Gramineae / family Poaceae / Graminaceae / Gramineae / grass family / Poaceae = the grasses: chiefly herbaceous but some woody plants including cereals; bamboo; reeds
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Graminaceous Plant
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by H. V. SWERINGEN
A graminaceous plant of several species, belonging to the genus Briza, whose spikelets have a tremulous motion. QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS. An analysis for determining the constituent elements of a compound without regard to quantity.
Any graminaceous plant bearing an edible seed; also the seed or grain of such a plant. cereal in (se-re'al-in). A ferment contained in brain extract and capable of converting starch into glucose. cerealose (se're-al-Cs). A substance containing ...
Designed to Give the Orthography, Pronunciation, Meaning, and Etymology of about 38,000 Words and Phrases in the Speech and Literature of the English-speaking Peoples, 800 Pictorial Illustrations
Any graminaceous plant with hollow, jointed Btems and sheathing leaves. [< AS. gries.] — grass/hop"per. p.
by Louisa Pansegrouw
whiskey malt, rye grain warehouse elevator graminaceous plant grass grammar component adjective. adverb, conjunction, noun, preposition, pronoun, verb grammatical arrangement of words syntax grammatical fault solecism grammatical ...
by Richard Dennis Hoblyn
An indigenous graminaceous plant, which affords an excellent grain, somewhat resembling rice, and is used by the Indians for food.] [ZIZYPHTJS. A genus of plants of the natural order Rhamnaceae.] Zizyphus vulgaris. A shrub growing on the ...
An Illustrated Dictionary of Medicine, Biology and Allied Sciences, Including the Pronunciation... (1903)
by George Milbry Gould
Panic-grass, a graminaceous plant widely distributed. P. insulare, a \Vest Indian species, having purgative properties. Unof. Panidrosis ( pan-id-1'o'-sz's) [migy all; idpég, sweat]. General perspiration. Panis (pan/-z's)[L.].
by Francis George Fowler
Graminaceous plant, native of India, bearinglarge crop of small nutritious ...
Upon Original Plans
A graminaceous plant (Rolens saccharatns) used for fodder. bn-tan'ga, bfl-tdn'gfl, n.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Graminaceous Plant
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Graminaceous Plant to find many related words and phrases!