Definition of the noun groucho
What does groucho mean as a name of something?
- United States comedian; one of four brothers who made motion pictures together (1890-1977)
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of Groucho: Julius Marx / Marx
- instance of: comedian / comic = a professional performer who tells jokes and performs comical acts
- member of: Marx Brothers = a family of United States comedians consisting of four brothers with an anarchic sense of humor
Groucho a.k.a. Groucho Marx: Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx was an American comedian and film and television star. He is known as a master of quick wit and widely considered one of the best comedians of the modern era. His rapid-fire, often impromptu delivery of innuendo-laden patter earned him many admirers and imitators. He made 13 feature films with his siblings the Marx Brothers, of whom he was the third-born. He also had a successful solo career, most notably as the host of the radio and television game show You Bet Your Life. His distinctive appearance, carried over from his days in vaudeville, included quirks such as an exaggerated stooped posture, glasses, cigar, and a thick greasepaint mustache and eyebrows. These exaggerated features resulted in the creation of one of the world's most ubiquitous and recognizable novelty disguises, known as "Groucho glasses", a one-piece mask consisting of horn-rimmed glasses, large plastic nose, bushy eyebrows and mustache.
- also known as Julius Henry Marx, Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx, Marx Brothers, The Marx Bros
- born on (123 years ago) in New York City, child of Minnie Marx and Sam Marx
- ethnicity: Jewish people
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Actor, comedian, singer, screenwriter
- member of musical group Marx Brothers
- died on (36 years ago) in Los Angeles of pneumonia
- buried in Eden Memorial Park Cemetery
- genre: Comedy
- read more about Groucho Marx (comedian)
- Groucho is a fictional character from the 2014 film Appropriate Behavior.
- Groucho is a fictional character from the anime series The Mysterious Cities of Gold.
- Groucho is a fictional character from the 2009 film White on Rice.
- Groucho is a fictional film character.
- country: Spain
- language: Spanish Language
- genre: LGBT
- released in (8 years ago)
Groucho is a 1987 theater production of the play by Arthur Marx and Robert Fisher.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Groucho
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Groucho Letters (2007)
Letters from and to Groucho Marx by Groucho Marx
Besides, Groucho is the one member of the family with a passion for letters.
by Lee Pfeiffer
As always, Groucho is the glue that holds the assorted nuts and bolts of the routines together. Fast forward through the interminable musical numbers played straight by Allen Jones and Kitty Carlisle, and you'll enjoy the experience even more.
by Brian Cogan, Tony Kelso
the Marx Brothers included Groucho (Julius Marx, 1890–1977); Harpo (Adolph Marx, ...
Encyclopedia of Sports Films (2010)
by K Edgington, Thomas Erskine, James M. Welsh
Groucho plays a college president who, after noting a correlation between the succession of school presidents and the success of the football team, plans to beef up the team with mercenaries. College athletics, however, is not the subject of ...
Encyclopedia of Life Writing (2013)
Autobiographical and Biographical Forms by Margaretta Jolly
Inthe Gripof CrossCurrents, translated from the Hebrew by Moshe Kohn and JacobSloan, New York: Bloch,1959 Marx, Groucho, Groucho andMe,New York: B .Geis ...
Revised and Updated! Over 2,000 One-Liners, Straight Lines, Stories, Gags, Roasts, Ribs, and Put-Downs by Friars Club
After Groucho Marx introduced Sam Goldwyn [at a Friars roast], Goldwyn made a less than thrilling speech about the glories of being an independent producer.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Groucho
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Groucho
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Clinton Steeds
Photo credit: nosolosw
Photo credit: Vickola
- Groucho Jumper
Picture by Wosog.
Photo credit: Son of Groucho
- The Groucho Letters
Photo credit: I have got the style
- Groucho with Carrot and Tins
For Sam's Virtual Groucho birthday thing.
Photo credit: BinaryApe
- Groucho at Soho
Groucho March at Soho. If you want Dylan, you want Groucho.
Photo credit: isfullofcrap
- Groucho Panda
Photo credit: A.M. Kuchling
- Groucho, near Termini station
Photo credit: Metro Centric
- Annabelle in Groucho Disguise!
Photo credit: stev.ie
- Groucho Club
Breakfast in Soho - with Kencall
Photo credit: markhillary
- Toilet roll at Groucho Club
Photo credit: markhillary
- It's fun being groucho poster alteration art
Photo credit: MarkWallace
View more pictures about Groucho Marx.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Groucho
Scrabble value of G2R1O1U1C3H4O1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Groucho to see it in context!