Hale appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Did no contra’s namer of a stiff ode portray a wader ultra-reliably? Rebel, a hero maybe? No, done by a more hale beryl bailer (art lured away, art roped off): it’s a foreman’s art no con did.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb hale:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun hale
- Definition of the adjective hale
- Definition of the verb hale
- Phrases with Hale
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hale
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hale
- Photos about Hale
- Video language resources about Hale
- Quotes about Hale
- Scrabble value of H4A1L1E1
- Anagrams of HALE
- Share this page
Hale is sometimes a misspelling of hail.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hale
What does hale mean as a name of something?
- a soldier of the American Revolution who was hanged as a spy by the British; his last words were supposed to have been `I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country' (1755-1776)
- United States astronomer who discovered that sunspots are associated with strong magnetic fields (1868-1938)
Alternative definition of the noun hale
- Health, welfare.
Definition of the adjective hale
What does hale mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: haler | halest
- exhibiting or restored to vigorous good health
Alternative definition of the adjective hale
- [archaic] Sound, entire, healthy; robust, not impaired.
- antonym: unhale
Definition of the verb hale
What does hale mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: haled | haling | hales
- to cause to do through pressure or necessity, by physical, moral or intellectual means
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of hale: coerce / force / pressure / squeeze
- more generic words: compel / obligate / oblige = force somebody to do something
- more specific terms:
- turn up the pressure / turn up the heat = apply great or increased pressure
- drive = to compel or force or urge relentlessly or exert coercive pressure on, or motivate strongly
- bludgeon = overcome or coerce as if by using a heavy club
- steamroller / steamroll = bring to a specified state by overwhelming force or pressure
- squeeze for = squeeze someone for money, information, etc.
- railroad / dragoon / sandbag = compel by coercion, threats, or crude means
- terrorise / terrorize = coerce by violence or with threats
- bring oneself = cause to undertake a certain action, usually used in the negative
- cause: act / move
- draw slowly or heavily
Alternative definition of the verb hale
- To drag, pull, especially forcibly.
- Hale a.k.a. Tony Hale: Anthony "Tony" Hale is an American actor, best known for his role in the Fox comedy series Arrested Development as the neurotic Buster Bluth.
- read more about Tony Hale (actor)
- Hale is an actress.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Hale (actress)
Phrases with Hale
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hale
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Pemberton (F.R.S.L.)
Hale is an adjective. Hearty is an adjective. Saucy is an adjective. Giddy is an adjective. £2% is an adjective. Late is an adjective. Early is an adjective. Shaggy is an adjective. F/ee< is an adjective ...
A Pun My Word (1991)
A Humorously Enlightened Path to English Usage by Robert Oliver Shipman
As an adjective, hale means strong and healthy; robust; vigorous; free from defect , disease, or infirmity. EXAMPLES: Despite the hail that came down in torrents, Officer Phineas Pinchem was able to hail a taxi. After that it was easy for him, ...
by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
HALE, HORATIO (1817- 1896), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hale
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hale
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: settlja
- Hale Fish
Photo credit: chelmsfordblue
- Ralph Hale
Brother to Sarah and martha and son of Dora and Cassius Clay Hale. Died as a young man from blood poisoning after having a tooth extracted
Photo credit: InAweofGod'sCreation
- Saxton Hale
Photo credit: JBLivin
- The Hale Koa
The Hale Koa Armed Forces Recreation Center as seen from Kalia Road, Waikiki, Hawaii. U.S. Army photo by Bill Bradner.
Photo credit: familymwr
- Hale Clock Tower
Photo credit: chelmsfordblue
- Hale, Colorado
In far eastern Colorado, in Yuma County.
Not much is there.
Photo credit: Jeffrey Beall
- Hale Village, N17, 230 Bus.
Hale Village, which is springing up on the former Lebus furniture site. Since the photo, the bus station has been moved further back West. LX51 FME 17486 LX51FME route 230
Photo credit: sludgegulper
- Ali`iolani Hale
Photo credit: Julie Smith David
- Lunching at Hale
Photo credit: Bytemarks
- Park near Tottenham Hale
Photo credit: p_a_h
- Reverse of Cassius Clay Hale Photo
Photo credit: InAweofGod'sCreation
- Hale Eddy Station
Hale Eddy, New York
Photo credit: Roadgeek Adam
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Hale
Click on an item to play that video:
- Leslie Hale - Explanation on Hebrews 6 v 4 - 6
- Simple explanation of the HALE Dreamer
If you use your android phone as an alarm clock, this speaker dock will make it a better one.
- Leslie Hale - Explanation on Matthew 7 v 22 - 23
- Hale Meaning
Video shows what hale means. Health, welfare.. hale pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary. hale meaning. Powered by MaryTTS.
- Will Hale's Rube Goldberg Explanation
- Color Theory- Hale, UCF, RED 4043, Vocabulary Digital Story
- An Idiom a Day - Hale and Hearty
View more videos about Hale and Pace.
See also the pronunciation examples of Hale!
Quotes about Hale
Scrabble value of H4A1L1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HALE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Hale!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hale to see it in context!