On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hand tool
What does hand tool mean as a name of something?
- a tool used with workers' hands
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: tool = an implement used in the practice of a vocation
- more specific terms:
- awl = a pointed tool for marking surfaces or for punching small holes
- bevel square / bevel = a hand tool consisting of two rules that are hinged together so you can draw or measure angles of any size
- billhook / bill = a cutting tool with a sharp edge
- threader / bodkin = a blunt needle for threading ribbon through loops
- bodkin = a small sharp-pointed tool for punching holes in leather or fabric
- starter / crank = a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle
- dibber / dibble = a wooden hand tool with a pointed end
- file = a steel hand tool with small sharp teeth on some or all of its surfaces
- plasterer's float / float = a hand tool with a flat face used for smoothing and finishing the surface of plaster or cement or stucco
- graving tool / pointrel / pointel / graver = a tool used by an engraver
- gutter = a tool for gutting fish
- hammer = a hand tool with a heavy rigid head and a handle
- hand shovel = a shovel that is operated by hand
- marlinespike / marlingspike / marlinspike = a pointed iron hand tool that is used to separate strands of a rope or cable
- miter box / mitre box = hand tool for guiding handsaws in making crosscuts or miter joints
- opener = a hand tool used for opening sealed containers
- pallet = a hand tool with a flat blade used by potters for mixing and shaping clay
- pestle = a club-shaped hand tool for grinding and mixing substances in a mortar
- pick = a thin sharp implement used for removing unwanted material
- pair of tweezers / pair of pincers / tweezer / pincer = a hand tool for holding consisting of a compound lever for grasping
- pipe cutter = a hand tool for cutting pipe
- pitchfork = a long-handled hand tool with sharp widely spaced prongs for lifting and pitching hay
- carpenter's plane / woodworking plane / plane = a carpenter's hand tool with an adjustable blade for smoothing or shaping wood
- pair of pliers / pliers / plyers = a gripping hand tool with two hinged arms and (usually) serrated jaws
- plumber's snake / auger / snake = a long flexible steel coil for dislodging stoppages in curved pipes
- plumber's helper / plunger = hand tool consisting of a stick with a rubber suction cup at one end
- ravehook = a hooked hand tool used to prepare the seams of a boat for oakum
- sandblaster = a tool that throws out a blast of steam laden with sand
- saw = hand tool having a toothed blade for cutting
- scraper = any of various hand tools for scraping
- screwdriver = a hand tool for driving screws
- shovel = a hand tool for lifting loose material
- soldering iron = a hand tool with a heatable tip
- spatula = a hand tool with a thin flexible blade used to mix or spread soft substances
- spreader = a hand tool for spreading something
- square = a hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles
- straightedge = hand tool consisting of a flat rigid rectangular bar (metal or wood) that can be used to draw straight lines
- tire iron / tire tool = hand tool consisting of a lever that is used to force the casing of a pneumatic tire onto a steel wheel
- trowel = a small hand tool with a handle and flat metal blade
- weed-whacker / weeder = a hand tool for removing weeds
- wire stripper = a hand tool used by electricians to remove insulation from the cut end of an insulated wire
- spanner / wrench = a hand tool that is used to hold or twist a nut or bolt
- part: handgrip / handle / grip / hold = the appendage to an object that is designed to be held in order to use or move it
Alternative definition of the noun hand tool
- A tool powered by human muscle rather than a motor or engine.
Hand tool: A hand tool is any tool that is not a power tool – that is, one powered by hand rather than by an engine. Some examples of hand tools are garden forks, secateurs, rakes, hammers, spanners, pliers, screwdrivers and chisels. Hand tools are generally less dangerous than power tools.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Hand tool
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Nikolas Davies, Erkki Jokiniemi
replaceable blade scraper Q corner scraper, angle plane, French plane, shave hook HONING IMPLEMENTS wire brush R grindstone, rubstone sanding block S T U sandpaper, emery paper, glasspaper chisel a hand tool whose metal blade ...
Encyclopedia of Engineering (1906)
A Treatise on Boilers, Steam Engines, the Locomotive, Electricity, Machine Shop Practice, Air Brake Practice, Engineer's Catechism, Gas, Oil, Traction and Automobile Motors, Refrigeration by Calvin Franklin Swingle
6— Right hand tool for boring. 7— Right hand tool for heavy boring. 8— Round nosed tool for iron or steel. 9— Cutting-off tool for small work. 10— Deep cutting- off tool for large work. A standard or regular set of lathe tools is shown in Fig. 296 ...
by Christopher Gorse, David Johnston, Martin Pritchard
gun Hand tool with a hand grip, shaped like a pistol. Various guns are available for firing nails, discharging sealant, or glues. gun metal An alloy ...
by James H. Stramler, Jr.
fingers extended and adducted hand time see manual time hand tool any small tool capable of being held and used easily by one or both hands for manufacturing, servicing, or other activities; also handtool hand-arm involving both the hand ...
a hand tool of triangular ection used for turning metal. It is in principle a chisel point, as a comparison with the shaded areas in C, D, E, F, will show. Presented as at H it does not act as a true cutting tool. At J its action is almost identical with ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
Apollo handsome-plumaged bird bullfinch handsome youth Adonis hands on hips akimbo hand starter for car crank hand-thrashing implement flail hand- thrown explosive grenade hand-thrown spear javelin hand tool for cutting axe hand ...
by Frank Moore Colby, Talcott Williams
Dennis in the United States patented a dental mallet , the first pneumatic hand tool. In 1896 came a chipping hammer by Boyer of St.
by Mary Ellen Snodgrass
a half-moon-shaped cleaver or utility knife, has been a valuable hand tool from prehistory. A lightweight multipurpose bone, ivory , or metal knife and scraper, it suits the hand for skinning and filleting fish and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Hand tool
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Hand tool
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jaf-Photo
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Hand tool
Click on an item to play that video:
- Hand tool Meaning
Video shows what hand tool means. A tool powered by human muscle rather than a motor or engine.. Hand tool Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Suhner Roto Ferra Flexible Shaft Hand Tool Description
The Suhner flexible shaft hand tool is extremely versatile using a single motor to run many types of tools. The flexible shaft allows an operator to work on a bench ...
- Hand Tool Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Hand tool!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Hand tool to see it in context!