The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun happening:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun happening
- Definition of the adjective happening
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Happening
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Happening
- Photos about Happening
- Video language resources about Happening
- Quotes about Happening
- Scrabble value of H4A1P3P3E1N1I1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun happening
What does happening mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: happenings
- an event that happens
- examples: Keep in touch with what is happening in foreign countries. | I had a feeling that something dreadful was happening. | I sensed what was happening. | I've no idea what's happening. | Please keep me informed of what is happening there. | Television enables us to know what is happening today. | This is an actual happening. | Let's see what's happening in this big country. | This magazine helps me to keep up with what's happening in the world. | The probability of this chain of events all happening at once is one in 2 million flights - about once every two months at current levels of air traffic.
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of happening: natural event / occurrence / occurrent
- more generic word: event = something that happens at a given place and time
- more specific terms:
- accompaniment / co-occurrence / concomitant / attendant = an event or situation that happens at the same time as or in connection with another
- avalanche = a sudden appearance of an overwhelming number of things
- experience = an event as apprehended
- trouble = an event causing distress or pain
- treat = an occurrence that causes special pleasure or delight
- miracle = any amazing or wonderful occurrence
- marvel / wonder = something that causes feelings of wonder
- thing = an event
- episode = a happening that is distinctive in a series of related events
- contingence / contingency / eventuality = a possible event or occurrence or result
- beginning = the event consisting of the start of something
- conclusion / ending / finish = event whose occurrence ends something
- one-off = a happening that occurs only once and is not repeated
- recurrent event / periodic event = an event that recurs at intervals
- modification / alteration / change = an event that occurs when something passes from one state or phase to another
- computer error / error = the occurrence of an incorrect result produced by a computer
- chance event / accident / fortuity / stroke = anything that happens suddenly or by chance without an apparent cause
- fire = the event of something burning
- incident = a single distinct event
- discharge = the sudden giving off of energy
- instance / example / case = an occurrence of something
- movement / motion = a natural event that involves a change in the position or location of something
- failure = an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose
- success = an event that accomplishes its intended purpose
- appearance = the event of coming into sight
- destiny / fate = an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future
- disappearance = the event of passing out of sight
- disappearance = ceasing to exist
- impinging / striking / contact = the physical coming together of two or more things
- finish = designated event that concludes a contest
- collapse = a natural event caused by something suddenly falling down or caving in
- interruption / break = some abrupt occurrence that interrupts an ongoing activity
- sound = the sudden occurrence of an audible event
- union = the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts
- news event = a newsworthy event
- flash = a sudden intense burst of radiant energy
- convergence = the occurrence of two or more things coming together
- juncture / occasion = an event that occurs at a critical time
- flare-up / outburst / burst = a sudden intense happening
- irruption / eruption / outbreak = a sudden violent spontaneous occurrence
- black eye / reversal / reverse / setback / blow = an unfortunate happening that hinders or impedes
- manna from heaven / gold rush / windfall / bonanza / godsend / bunce / gravy / boom = a sudden happening that brings good fortune
- collapse / crash = a sudden large decline of business or the prices of stocks
- supervention = a following on in addition
Alternative definition of the noun happening
- Something that happens
- A spontaneous or improvised event, especially one that involves audience participation
Definition of the adjective happening
What does happening mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more happening / most happening
- [rfd-sense] taking place
- [slang] trendy, up-to-the-minute
"Happening" a.k.a. "The Happening" is a 2008 American supernatural thriller film written, co-produced, and directed by M. Night Shyamalan that follows a man, his wife, his best friend, and his friend's daughter as they try to escape from an inexplicable natural disaster.
- also known as The Green Effect, Green Planet
- countries: United States of America, India, France
- languages: English Language, French
- producers: Barry Mendel, Sam Mercer, M. Night Shyamalan
- executive producers: Ronnie Screwvala, Roger Birnbaum, Gary Barber & Zarina Mehta
- production design by Jeannine Oppewall
- art direction by Anthony Dunne
- written by M. Night Shyamalan
- Mark Wahlberg as Elliot Moore
- Zooey Deschanel as Alma Moore
- John Leguizamo as Julian
- Ashlyn Sanchez as Jess
- Betty Buckley as Mrs. Jones
- Spencer Breslin as Josh
- Robert Bailey, Jr. as Jared
- Frank Collison as Nursery Owner
- Jeremy Strong as Pvt. Auster - MP
- Alan Ruck as Principal
- M. Night Shyamalan as Joey
- Robert Lenzi as Jake
- Stephen Singer as Dr. Ross
- Edward James Hyland as Prof. Kendall Wallace
- Roberto Lombardi as Father In Elliot's Group
- Joel de la Fuente as Realtor
- Megan Mazaika as Jeep Passenger #1
- Victoria Clark as Nursery Owner's Wife
- Alison Folland as Woman Reading on Bench with Hair Pin
- Kristen Connolly as Woman Reading on Bench
- Cornell Womack as Construction Foreman
- Curtis McLarin as Construction Crew Member
- Derege Harding as Train Conductor #1
- Kerry O'Malley as Woman on Cell Phone
- Shayna Levine as Teenage Girl in Jeep
- Stéphane Debac as French Bicyclist
- Cyrille Thouvenin as French Bicyclist's Friend
- Babita Hariani as Medical Correspondent
- Alicia Taylor as U.S. Reporter
- Armand Schultz as Talk Show Host
- Sophie Burke as Student Named Laura
- Alex Van Kooy as Boy in Class
- Charlie Saxton as Student Named Dylan
- Kathy Hart as Vice Principal
- Lisa Furst as Teacher in Auditorium
- Rick Foster as Railway Police Officer
- Marc H. Glick as P.A. System Conductor
- Don Castro as Philadelphia Police Officer
- Bill Chemerka as Taxi Driver - Sal
- Jann Ellis as Older Woman with Dog
- Whitney Sugarman as Passenger #4
- Mary Ellen Driscoll as Woman Passenger
- Greg Wood as Passenger at Counter
- Peter Appel as Diner Owner
- Eoin O'Shea as Passenger #1
- Michael Quinlan as Passenger #2
- Lyman Chen as Passenger #3
- Brian O'Halloran as Jeep Driver
- Rich Chew as Jeep Passenger #2
- Keith Bullard as Man in Crowd at Crossroads
- casting by Douglas Aibel & Stephanie Holbrook
- cinematography by Tak Fujimoto
- edited by Conrad Buff IV
- music by James Newton Howard
- costume design by Betsy Faith Heimann
- set decoration by Jay R. Hart & Josh Fifarek
- location: New York City
- genres: Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller
- tagline: We've Sensed It. We've Seen The Signs. Now... It's Happening.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (6 years ago)
- Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director nomination for M. Night Shyamalan
- Razzie Award for Worst Actor nomination for Mark Wahlberg
- Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay nomination for M. Night Shyamalan
- Razzie Award for Worst Picture nomination for 20th Century Fox, Sam Mercer, Barry Mendel & M. Night Shyamalan
- official website: www.thehappeningmovie.co.nz
"Happening" is a book by Madison Morrison.
- "Happening" is a song by Danish singer Medina from her second English studio album Forever. The song is the English version of her Danish song "Kl. 10" from her third Danish album "For altid". It was released as the second single from the album on September 14, 2012. "Happening" was written by Medina Valbak, Rasmus Stabell, Jeppe Federspiel and Ross Golan, and was produced by the Danish producer-team Providers.
- "Happening" is a musical album of Hidemi Ishikawa.
- released on (29 years ago)
- "Happening" is a musical single of Cocktail Trio.
- released in (49 years ago)
- "Happening" is a musical EP of The Buzz.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Happening" is a musical album of Jean Néplin & Individual State.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Happening" is a 2012 album by Medina.
- released on
- Happening: A happening is a performance, event or situation meant to be considered art, usually as performance art. Happenings occur anywhere and are often multi-disciplinary, with a nonlinear narrative and the active participation of the audience. Key elements of happenings are planned but artists sometimes retain room for improvisation. This new media art aspect to happenings eliminates the boundary between the artwork and its viewer.
- Happening is a TV program, begun in (45 years ago).
- country: Australia
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Happening
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Empty Space (1996)
A Book About the Theatre: Deadly, Holy, Rough, Immediate by Peter Brook
A Happening is a powerful invention, it destroys at one blow many deadly forms, like the dreariness of theatre buildings, and the charmless trappings of curtain, usherette, cloakroom, programme, bar. A Happening can be anywhere, any time, ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
Happen at the same time—coincide Happen immediately after—come next Happen over again—recur Happen to find—light upon Happened to be— occurred, turned out Happening—event, incident Happening at any moment now —imminent ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
happen as an interruption 335 hard-headed happen as an interruption supervene happened to befell happening accident, adventure, affair, befalling, case, chance, chancing, developing, ensuing, episode, event, experience, incident, ...
by J.J.S. WHARTON
Expectation, in the doctrine of chances, is applied to any contingent event, upon the happening of which some benefit is...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
happening noun 1 an unstructured event built around music, drugsand a strong senseofbonding US, 1959.2a party at which there is much drinking; abooze-up AUSTRALIA, 1971 happening adjective modern, fashionable, chic.Incommon with ...
by Tom Dalzell, Terry Victor
Federer has blown two break points, it«s all happening in Gstaad. Again ¦ The Observer, 13 July 2003. happening. noun. 1. an unstructured event built around music, drugs and a ...
Pocket Encyclopedia (1811)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Polite Literature by Edward Augustus Kendall
So that, if there be constituted a fraction, of which the numerator is the number of chances for the events happening,
One Main Object of Which, Is, to Establish a Plain and Permanent Standard Pronunciation. : To which is Prefixed a Rhetorical Grammar by Thomas Sheridan
Happening concurrently, or occafionally. SYMPTOMATICALLY, kėl-ỳ. ad. In the nature of a fymptom. SYNAGOGUE, sino-ä-g'g. f. An affembly of the Jews to worship ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Happening
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Happening
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Letrusko
Photo credit: andeecollard
Photo credit: termie
Photo credit: lumachrome
Photo credit: dibau_naum_h
Photo credit: lumachrome
Photo credit: Apenas Imagens
Photo credit: lumachrome
Photo credit: Robert Anders
- Color happening
Not the full solid orange and yellow of some years past, but still nice patches around.
Photo credit: tdlucas5000
- Something magical is happening
Portixol, Mallorca shared with pixbuf.com
Photo credit: anieto2k
- There's nothing happening.
Photo credit: Thomas8047
- It's happening again
Photo credit: weegeebored
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Happening
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vas happening meaning and pronunciation
Devised by the good-looking, one and only Zayn Malik from One Direction.Don't you dare saying ''What's Happening?'' it's VAS HAPPENING . You're allowed to ...
- Trying to Understand the Prohetic meaning of all that is happening now upon the earth
- Explanation of Guard and whats been happening.
- Know What's Happening; Vocabulary
- A little explanation of what's happening
via YouTube Capture.
- What's happening Meaning
Video shows what what's happening means. An informal greeting.. What's happening Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say what's ...
- Retrophonix - Accelerator - Just a brief explanation to whats happening.
With the new channel now up and running, Callum decides to have a talk about the new channel, what's happening, what to expect, and who is in it.
- Explanation and practical advice for what is happening in the world today
- Mandy Fellows Explanation of What was happening at Denbigh Asylum
- 31.Englsh lesson. Slang. BUTTERFACE | HAPPENING
- An Explanation To What's Been Happening
- Explanation of what has been happening
- Identity Theft Definition: How to Prevent it from Happening to You
- Nbr 263 Aramaic meaning of Forgiveness from Why is this Happening 05 30 2013
- VLOGGING TIME EP002 - Explanation on what is going to be happening in the future...
- Explanation of what is happening
- Schoolhouse Rock Live! - Verb That's What's Happening
Schoolhouse Rock Live! at the Weidner Center on November 8, 2014.
- *LANGUAGE ALERT* Mississauga storm happening now
Carmen C. wrote: In Mississauga tree broken down high winds.
- Alan Hepner- bob -dorough -Verb Thats Whats Happening OMEGA - Sailor Moon SS
Alan Hepner - How Do You Get Your Thing Bob Dorough - Verb: That's What's Happening Sailor Moon Super S: The Movie ...
- Verb, that's what's happening!
- Verb: That's What's Happening
Verb is the word that puts the action in every sentence.
- School House Rock-Verb, That's What's Happening
Clips from Winthrop High School production 2009.
- Past Continuous - 2 Past Actions Happening at the Same Time - ESL British English Pronunciation
- "Love Is Happening Again" Happy Horror - The English Language
- "Love Is Happening Again" (Live) - The English Language
- Description of What's Happening
- Verb, That's What's Happening
HMS production of Schoolhouse Rock. Rehearsal video only. No copyright infringement intended. Not for public use.
- Check description for more information (barley anything happening in this video
- Clay Brannon Verb:That's What's Happening (take 1)
- What is happening on The Verb
See also the pronunciation examples of Happening!
Quotes about Happening
Scrabble value of H4A1P3P3E1N1I1N1G2
The value of this 9-letter word is 17 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Happening to see it in context!