On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun hard tick
What does hard tick mean as a name of something?
- ticks having a hard shield on the back and mouth parts that project from the head
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of hard tick: ixodid
- more generic word: tick = any of two families of small parasitic arachnids with barbed proboscis
- more specific terms:
- Ixodes dammini / deer tick = a northeastern tick now recognized as same species as Ixodes scapularis
- Ixodes neotomae = a tick that usually does not bite humans
- western black-legged tick / Ixodes pacificus = a tick that feeds on dusky-footed wood rat and bites humans
- black-legged tick / Ixodes scapularis = parasitic on mice of genus Peromyscus and bites humans; principal vector for Lyme disease in eastern United States
- Ixodes ricinus / sheep tick / sheep-tick = parasitic on sheep and cattle as well as humans; can transmit looping ill in sheep
- Ixodes persulcatus = bites humans
- Ixodes dentatus = usually does not bite humans
- Ixodes spinipalpis = usually does not bite humans
- Dermacentor variabilis / American dog tick / wood tick = common tick that can transmit Rocky Mountain spotted fever and tularemia
- member of: family Ixodidae / Ixodidae = hard ticks
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for hard tick
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A medical dictionary written by a doctor for doctors, now illustrated by Joseph C Segen
for there is in London all that life can afford Life of Johnson Lone Star tick Amblyomma americanum A hard tick native to southern US, Central and South America, which is a vector of Rocky Mountain spotted fever and occasionally Lyme ...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
A hard tick found in subtropical and tropical regions; endemic in Africa, Mediterranean, Middle East, Near East, Middle Asia, parts of South America and Mexico. CT eradicated from USA, but ...
by Dennis G. Fowler
- a hard tick. kano n.6 - a riddle. kanonda-nonda n.la - a kind of ...
Dictionary of Parasitology (2005)
by Peter J. Gosling
hard tick (parasitology) Ticks of the family Ixodidae and members of Ixodes, Boophilus, Margaropus, Hyalomma, Rhipicephalus, Haemaphysalis, Aponomma, Dermacentor, Amblyomma, and Rhipicentor spp. They have a ...
Technological dictionary (1920)
by Néstor Ponce de León
hard tick (cer.) biscuit, bisque, aemivitrified porcelain. bizcocho borraeko, wine biscuit. — de embaí auc, sea biscuit, sea bread, bîzma, poultice. *blancarte (min.) attle, addle, nubish, deads halvans, trade, stuff. bianco, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for hard tick
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about hard tick
If you need images about hard tick for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Anagrams of HARD TICK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of hard tick!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of hard tick to find many related words and phrases!