On this page:
- Definition of the noun heavens
- Other definitions of heavens
- Phrases with Heavens
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Heavens
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Heavens
- Photos about Heavens
- Video language resources about Heavens
- Quotes about Heavens
- Scrabble value of H4E1A1V4E1N1S1
- Anagrams of HEAVENS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun heavens
What does heavens mean as a name of something?
- the apparent surface of the imaginary sphere on which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- examples: Many stars were shining in the heavens. | Suddenly the heavens opened. | Thousands of stars shone in the heavens. | My heavens, what an enormous box! | The heavens are bright with stars tonight. | What Alice, waiting for a reply, was faced with was a sudden howl. It was a resounding noise, sharp as to burst her ear drums, loud as to reach unto the heavens. | For heavens sake. | Good heavens! | He looked to the heavens. | The heavens do not create men that are more than men, nor do they create men that are less than men.
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of heavens: celestial sphere / empyrean / firmament / sphere / vault of heaven / welkin
- more generic word: surface = the extended two-dimensional outer boundary of a three-dimensional object
- apex of the sun's way / solar apex / apex = the point on the celestial sphere toward which the sun and solar system appear to be moving relative to the fixed stars
- celestial point = a point in the heavens
- nadir = the point below the observer that is directly opposite the zenith on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- zenith = the point above the observer that is directly opposite the nadir on the imaginary sphere against which celestial bodies appear to be projected
- zodiac = a belt-shaped region in the heavens on either side to the ecliptic
Alternative definition of the noun heavens
- The sky.
Other definitions of heavens
What does heavens also mean?
- An expression of surprise, contempt, outrage, disgust, boredom, or frustration.
- synonym: good heavens!
Heavens was an independent rock band featuring Matt Skiba of Alkaline Trio and Josiah Steinbrick. The duo signed to Epitaph Records and released their debut album, Patent Pending, on September 12, 2006.
- Matt Skiba since
- genres: Rock music, Synth rock, Alternative rock, Post-punk, Indie rock
- album: "Patent Pending"
- "Heavens" is the debut full length from Boston band Big Dipper. The album was released in 1987 on Homestead Records. Heavens was remastered and rereleased as part of Merge Record's Supercluster: The Big Dipper Anthology in 2008. The song, "Mr. Woods", was covered by Gigolo Aunts on Safe and Sound: A Benefit in Response to the Brookline Clinic Violence, released in 1996 on Mercury Records.
- "Heavens" is a musical album of The Murgatroyd Trio.
Phrases with Heavens
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Heavens
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Urania: or, a compleat view of the Heavens; containing the Ancient and modern Astronomy in form of a Dictionary, etc (1754)
by John Hill
A term used by astronomers to eXpress certain circles in the concave sphere of the heavens, and certain others on the convex surface of the earth, which have this mutUal relation to one another. The circles called parallels, in the description ...
For, if it was to move from T towards A, or from A to V, the apparent place of it in the heavens would in one case be at T, in the other case at V. Therefore, while the planet is at its greatest elongation, and is describing a small arc in its orbit, that ...
by J. D. Douglas, Merrill C. Tenney
heavens, new. The expression “new heaven(s) and a new earth” is a technical term in the eschatological language of the Bible to define and describe the final, perfected state of the created universe. See eschatology. The conception ofa ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Heavens
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Heavens
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Charlie.Wales
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Heavens
Click on an item to play that video:
- Heavens Meaning
Video shows what heavens means. , the distant sky of the sun, moon, and stars. , the abode of God or the gods; the abode of the blessed departed. , the near sky ...
- Knockin on heavens door-Music for Meaning Jam of 26th Jan '14, Faridabad
- Papa SBJ's explanation about 7 heavens
- Thank heavens Meaning
Video shows what thank heavens means. An expression of relief.
- The definition of drunksoul - Knocking on heavens door
- How to Speak Heavens Language
- Knocking on Heavens door - International Summer language Camp In DOWN TOWN 2015
See also the pronunciation examples of Heavens!
Quotes about Heavens
Scrabble value of H4E1A1V4E1N1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine