Help appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Two driven jocks help fax my big quiz. (30 letters)
- Weekly magazines request help for and by junior executives. (50 letters)
- My help squeezed in and joined the weavers again before six o'clock. (55 letters)
Help appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Go, help pin a nipple hog!
- Ed, I help pink nipple hide.
- So help me to temple ho’s!
Usage statistics for the verb help:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun help
- Definition of the verb help
- Other definitions of help
- Phrases with Help
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Help
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Help
- Usage statistics about help
- Photos about Help
- Video language resources about Help
- Sign language
- Quotes about Help
- Scrabble value of H4E1L1P3
- Anagrams of HELP
- Share this page
Help is sometimes a misspelling of helped.
The word help is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun help
What does help mean as a name of something?
Help is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: helps
- the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- example: offered his help in unloading
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of help: aid / assist / assistance
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- self-help = the act of helping or improving yourself without relying on anyone else
- facilitation = act of assisting or making easier the progress or improvement of something
- helping hand / hand = physical assistance
- recourse / refuge / resort = act of turning to for assistance
- thanks = with the help of or owing to
- ministration / succour / relief / succor = assistance in time of difficulty
- lift = the act of giving temporary assistance
- service = an act of help or assistance
- accommodation = the act of providing something (lodging or seat or food) to meet a need
- encouragement / boost = the act of giving hope or support to someone
- comfort = assistance, such as that provided to an enemy or to a known criminal
- support = aiding the cause or policy or interests of
- a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- example: they hired additional help to finish the work
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of help: assistant / helper / supporter
- more generic word: worker = a person who works at a specific occupation
- more specific terms:
- coadjutor = an assistant to a bishop
- confederate / accomplice = a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan
- auxiliary / aide = someone who acts as assistant
- attendant / attender / tender = someone who waits on or tends to or attends to the needs of another
- bat boy = a boy who takes care of bats and other baseball equipment
- dental assistant = an assistant to a dentist
- lieutenant / deputy = an assistant with power to act when his superior is absent
- actor's assistant / dresser = a wardrobe assistant for an actor
- event planner = someone who plans social events as a profession
- facilitator = someone who makes progress easier
- flower girl = a young girl who carries flowers in a (wedding) procession
- girl Friday = a female assistant who has a range of duties
- hatchet man / enforcer = one whose job it is to execute unpleasant tasks for a superior
- instrument / cat's-paw / pawn = a person used by another to gain an end
- birthing coach / labor coach / monitrice / doula = an assistant who provides support for a woman in labor by encouraging her to use techniques learned in childbirth-preparation classes
- underboss = an assistant or second-in-command to a chief
- fashion model / mannequin / mannikin / manakin / manikin / model = a woman who wears clothes to display fashions
- model / poser = a person who poses for a photographer or painter or sculptor
- paraprofessional = a trained worker who is not a member of a profession but who assists a professional
- powder monkey = someone who carries explosives
- theater prompter / prompter = someone who assists a performer by providing the next words of a forgotten speech
- chief assistant / right-hand man / man Friday = the most helpful assistant
- secretarial assistant / secretary = an assistant who handles correspondence and clerical work for a boss or an organization
- sidesman = an assistant to the churchwarden
- foot soldier / subordinate / subsidiary / underling = an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
- water boy / waterer = an assistant who supplies drinking water
- whipper-in = huntsman's assistant in managing the hounds
- a person or thing that is a resource that helps make something easier or possible to do
- a means of serving
Alternative definition of the noun help
- [uncountable] Action given to provide assistance; aid.
- [singularonly] A person or persons who provide assistance with some task.
- [countable] A person employed to help in the maintenance of a house.
- [uncountable, euphemistic] Correction of deficits, as by psychological counseling or medication or social support or remedial training.
Definition of the verb help
What does help mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: helped | helping | helps
- give help or assistance; be of service
- examples: Everyone helped out during the earthquake | Can you help me carry this table? | She never helps around the house | They help him to write the letter
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Beneficiary] I helped him [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Beneficiary] [Theme, object control with infinitive] I helped him to finish the homework [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Beneficiary] with [Theme, object control with -ing] I helped him with finishing the homework [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Beneficiary] with [Theme, not sentential clause] I helped him with homework [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] with [Theme, arbitrary control with -ing] I helped with finishing the homework [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] with [Theme, not sentential clause] I helped with the homework
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of help: aid / assist
- more generic terms: back up / support = give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to
- more specific terms:
- facilitate / alleviate / ease = make easier
- attend to / wait on / assist / attend / serve = work for or be a servant to
- benefact = help as a benefactor
- help out = be of help, as in a particular situation of need
- subserve = be helpful or useful
- succour / succor = help in a difficult situation
- expedite / hasten = speed up the progress of
- avail = be of use to, be useful to
- give care / care = provide care for
- bootstrap = help oneself, often through improvised means
- improve the condition of
- example: These pills will help the patient
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonym of help: aid
- more generic words: ameliorate / amend / better / improve / meliorate = to make better
- more specific terms:
- be of use
- abstain from doing; always used with a negative
- help to some food; help with food or drink
- contribute to the furtherance of
- take or use
- improve; change for the better
Alternative definition of the verb help
- [transitive] To provide assistance to (someone or something).
- [transitive] To contribute in some way to.
- synonym: contribute to
- [intransitive] To provide assistance.
- synonym: assist
- [transitive] To avoid; to prevent; to refrain from; to restrain (oneself). Usually used in nonassertive contexts with can.
Other definitions of help
What does help also mean?
- I/we desperately need assistance!
- synonym: mayday! (used by vessels and aircraft)
Help is a musical group.
- album: "A szerelemért"
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a song by the Beatles that served as the title song for both the 1965 film and its soundtrack album. It was also released as a single, and was number one for three weeks in both the United States and the United Kingdom.
- read more about Help!
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is the fifth British and tenth North American album by English rock group the Beatles, and the soundtrack from their film Help!. Produced by George Martin for EMI's Parlophone Records, it contains fourteen songs in its original British form, of which seven appeared in the film. These songs took up the first side of the vinyl album and included the singles "Help!" and "Ticket to Ride". The second side contained seven other releases including the most-covered song ever written, "Yesterday".
- "Help" Album is a 1995 charity album devoted to the War Child charity's aid efforts in war-stricken areas, such as Bosnia and Herzegovina. It features many then-popular British and Irish artists, and spawned the follow-up albums 1 Love, Hope, Help!: A Day in the Life and War Child Presents Heroes.
- also known as The Help Album
- artist: Emmanuel Jal
- released on (19 years ago)
- The Freddie Mercury Award
- The Freddie Mercury Award
- "Help" is the debut studio album by Mary Mary recording artist Erica Campbell and was released on March 25, 2014 by eOne. This is Erica Campbell's debut studio album without her sister Tina Campbell.
- "Help" is the title of the April 28, 2009 release by San Francisco-based rock band Thee Oh Sees.
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a 1965 album by the George Martin Orchestra, the second of a series of albums by Martin featuring instrumental arrangements of Beatle songs. This release focused on songs from their album Help!. Unlike his other albums, the UK issue is not on Martin's Parlophone label, but on EMI's sister Columbia Graphophone's Studio 2 Stereo series label.
- genre: Easy listening
- released in (50 years ago)
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a single by The Beatles.
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a musical single of Bananarama & Lananeeneenoonoo.
- released in (26 years ago)
- "HELP" is a musical single of SAICO.
- released on (20 years ago)
- "Help" a.k.a. "HELP!!" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Tsunku
"Help" is a book by Garret Keizer.
- also known as "Help: The Original Human Dilemma"
- genres: Philosophy, Sociology
- subjects: Philosophy, Psychology, Applied psychology, Religion, Ethics
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a 1965 film directed by Richard Lester, starring the Beatles–John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr—and featuring Leo McKern, Eleanor Bron, Victor Spinetti, John Bluthal, Roy Kinnear and Patrick Cargill. Help! was the second feature film made by the Beatles and is a comedy adventure which sees the group come up against an evil cult. The soundtrack was released as an album, also called Help!.
- also known as Socorro!
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Walter Shenson
- written by Charles Wood
- based on a story by Marc Behm
- cinematography by David Watkin
- music by The Beatles, George Martin, Ken Thorne
- costume design by Julie Harris
- locations: London, Bahamas, Salisbury Plain, Austria, Strand-on-the-Green, Larkhill, Cliveden
- genres: Jukebox musical, Adventure Film, Screwball comedy, Musical, Satire, Absurdism, Adventure Comedy, Musical comedy, Comedy
- dedicated by to Elias Howe
- tagline: Stop worrying! HELP! is on the way!
- rating: G (USA)
- released on (49 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- "Help": An unhappily married pregnant woman suspects her vengeful deceased twin has returned from the dead.
- also known as हेल्प
- country: India
- language: Hindi Language
- director: Rajeev Virani
- producers: Sanjay Ahluwalia & Vinay Chowksey
- written by Viddesh Malandkar, Deepak Pawar, Manthan
- Bobby Deol as Vic
- Mugdha Godse as Pia Alves
- Mugdha Godse as Dia Alves
- Shreyas Talpade as Dr. Aditya Motwani
- Sophie Handa as Carol
- Linda Arsenio as Natasha
- Manoj Chaturvedi
- Datta Dave as Film Critic
- Jyoti Dogra as Susan Alves
- Salim Fatehi as Joe Alves
- Simran Kapoor as Carol's sister
- Mugdha Godse as The Evil Spirit
- casting by Deepesh Sharma
- cinematography by Dhimant Vyas
- edited by Mohammed Rafique & Lionel Fernandez
- music by Gourov Dasgupta, Ashutosh Phatak
- genres: Horror, Thriller, Drama, Bollywood, World cinema
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!!!" is a 2000 romantic comedy film directed by Wai Ka-Fai and Johnnie To.
- "Help" a.k.a. "Help!" is a 2013 short film written and directed by Jean Marboeuf.
- help: In computing, help is a command in various non-UNIX command line shells such as COMMAND.COM, cmd.exe, Bash, 4DOS/4NT, Windows PowerShell, Singularity shell, Python and GNU Octave. It provides online information about available commands and the shell environment.
- Help a.k.a. Help! was an American satire magazine published by James Warren from 1960 to 1965. It was Harvey Kurtzman's longest-running magazine project after leaving Mad and EC Publications, and during its five years of operation it was chronically underfunded, yet innovative.
- Help is a BBC television comedy series first screened on BBC Two in 2005. Written by and starring Paul Whitehouse and Chris Langham, it concerns a psychotherapist and his therapy sessions with a variety of patients almost all played by Whitehouse.
- begun on and completed on (10 years ago)
- 6 episodes of 30 minutes each
- country: United Kingdom
- regular cast:
- genre: Comedy
- British Academy Television Award for Comedy and Comedy Entertainment Programme nomination for Paul Whitehouse, Chris Langham, Jane Berthoud & Declan Lowney
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Make up and Hair Design nomination for Vanessa White & Neill Gorton
- British Academy Television Award for Comedy and Comedy Entertainment Programme, received by Paul Whitehouse, Chris Langham, Declan Lowney & Jane Berthoud
- British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Make up and Hair Design, received by Neill Gorton & Vanessa White
- Help is a canonical version, musical recording.
- Help is any form of assistance.
- Help is a six-part Australian documentary series is broadcast on SBS One that takes you inside the real-life events that Ambulance officers and paramedics face every day while on the job.
- Help is a Dutch television drama series first broadcast by the NCRV in the early 1990s.
- Help a.k.a. Help!: If youre a regular Freebase user you may have noticed that that the Help area has been going through some changes. New topics have been added, old ones have been updated to reflect new features and functions, and theres a new organizational system, while behind the scenes the Help Topic type has undergone some revision [...
- Help: Help.com is a website based on users helping other users.
- official website: www.help.com
Phrases with Help
Phrases starting with the word Help:
Phrases ending with the word Help:
- home help
- Can't Help
- hired help
- Cry for Help
- kitchen help
- domestic help
- Do You Need Help
- I Need Your Help
- Thanks For Your Help
Other phrases containing the word Help:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Help
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Beyond Gentle Teaching (2013)
A Nonaversive Approach to Helping Those in Need by J.J. McGee, F.J. Menolascino
Warm physical help refers to those interactions that promote participation through any physical interventions, such as working hand-in-hand with the person; prompting movements, such as tapping the person's elbow; or any other physical ...
Healing Pain (1991)
Attachment, Loss, and Grief Therapy by Nini Leick, Marianne Davidsen-Nielsen
Crisis help is the giving of 'first aid' when the loss or the traumatic experience is so overwhelming that the emotions...
Crisis help is a task for both the private network and for the physician, minister, social worker or other professional helper ...
Relationship Books - A Personal Development Guide to Happiness by I.B Opene
Help eachotherlearn by being very playful and childlike again.The more playful, adventurous andjoyful youboth are inaromantic relationship, marriage or friendship the more that relationship will grow. Also learn toforgive by overlooking ...
HELP OF CHRISTIANS, OUR LADY An ancient Marian devotion. More than a thousand Byzantine texts of early times refer to Mary as "Empress Helper." An inscription found among the ruins of basilicas in fifth-century Africa reads: "Holy Mary, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Help
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about help
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb help:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun help:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb help:
Photos about Help
Click on an item to view that photo:
Ideas for where you can study and go for help
Photo credit: Loughborough University Library
Photo credit: Daveness_98
Photo credit: Sklathill
Photo credit: cogdogblog
Photo credit: Maxim Mogilevskiy
Photo credit: HrodebertRobertus
Photo credit: -Tripp-
Playa del Barayo
Photo credit: Pizarra y Cal
Photo credit: butler.corey
A monster bug!
Photo credit: elsamuko
Photo credit: coraliecharlet
- Seeking Help
Photo credit: photographerpandora
- Help is available
Boots, Piccadilly Circus
Photo credit: fairlybuoyant
For the indecisive in need of help.
Photo credit: photoverulam
- Sisterly help
Photo credit: Daddy-David
Photo credit: liberalmind1012
Lens:VR 17-50mm F/2.8G
Photo credit: Attila Hajdu
Photo credit: Tama Leaver
Photo credit: 4Neus
- Identification help needed...
Seen @ Mettukkundu
Photo credit: Kumaravel
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Help
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learning Circles - Bus: Vocabulary and phrases to help you travel on a bus
- Unit 2: Asking for Help Vocabulary
- Definition of Perpendicular Lines - MathHelp.com - Math Help
For a complete lesson on perpendicular lines, go to...
- Definition of Parallel Lines - MathHelp.com - Geometry Help
For a complete lesson on parallel lines, go to...
- Learning Circles - Dentist: Vocabulary and phrases to help you boot a dentist appointment
- TOEFL Class: R Pronunciation; Vulnerable Vocabulary; Writing Help; Lesson 4
- Definition of a Trapezoid - MathHelp.com - Geometry Help
For a complete lesson on trapezoids, go to...
- Legal Help : Definition of Tenants in Common
The simplest definition of tenants in common is a property ownership by two or more persons. Learn how with tenants in common, if one person dies, their share ...
- TOEFL Class: TH pronunciation; Hypothesis Vocabulary; Writing Help; Lesson 2
- Simplest Explanation of the Standard Errors of Regression Coefficients - Statistics Help
A simple tutorial explaining the standard errors of regression coefficients. This is a step-by-step explanation of the meaning and importance of the standard error.
- Teaching Skills : How to Help Children Increase Their Vocabulary
To help children increase their vocabulary, ask them to describe pictures and use new words when speaking with them. Read with your children to increase their ...
- Algebra & Math Help : Definition of a Prime Number
A prime number is a positive whole number with exactly two factors, which are one and itself. Identify a variety of prime numbers, such as seven and 11, with ...
- Math and Algebra Help : Definition of Primary Math Regrouping
Primary math regrouping is a term with a very specific mathematical definition. Learn about the definition of primary math regrouping with help from a ...
- Algebra Help : Step-by-Step Explanation for Comparing Fractions, Decimals & Percentages
Comparing fractions, decimals and percents requires you to take a close look at a few key things. Get a step-by-step explanation for comparing fractions, ...
- Help your child with vocabulary and comprehension
Storytelling is fun, but it can also help kids learn to read, and kids enjoy hearing real tales from a parent's life. This video tells why beginning readers love to hear ...
- Dave Dialect - Professional Help
Out now on Monkey Dub Recording...
- Understanding Golf Club Steel Shaft Terminology - How It Will Help You Play Better Golf
- Explanation of Hydrolysis in Chemistry : Chemistry Help
- Computer Help & Solutions : Definition of Spinning a PDF File
Spinning a PDF file refers to taking a regular document on a computer and converting it into a PDF document that will open with Adobe's PDF reader.
- Explanation of AC capacitors used in a solar set up to help start motors and save energy
- How Mindmaps can help you learn a language
Tony Buzan, inventor of MindMaps, explains how this memory technique can help you master learning a language. This time you will remember!
- Help setup Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8th Edition
Setup Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 8th Edition, Link download...
- Help Make Elvish (Neo Sindarin) a Living Language - Kickstarter
Music belongs to Lord of the Rings Film soundtrack, no copyright infringement intended! Help make Sindarin Elvish into a living language, back us on ...
- Learning Georgian language with help Pr.Inesa Shalvashvili Ep1
Learning Georgian language part1 with help from Pr.Inesa Shalvashvili +995591510012 +995595144803 +995551391005 +995790323299 Georgia Tour.
- Getting On - Comedy on BBC Four - Language Help Line
Ward B4 is a world of slips, trips and hips, where health care is at its least glamorous.
- ESL / EFL Teaching Tip: An Activity to Help Students Practice Directions
This is Lola, a teacher and the Studies Assistant at Rennert International, explaining a fun and communicative idea to use in your classroom to help students ...
- How Your Body Language Can Help You Get Ahead | Cosmopolitan
- Using Body Language Can Help Your Public Speaking Skills
Body language includes posture, eye contact and gestures, how you move your hands and arms. Using body language can help you communicate better and ...
- How Tinder Can Help You Learn a Language
Watch this video and learn the English language in a unique way! Watch this video next...
- How Watching Movies Can Help You Learn A Foreign Language
Susanna Zaraysky, owner of Create Your World Books, goes over a unique way to learn a new language in this one minute video. Watching foreign movies ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Help!
Click on an item to play that video:
- AMAZING! Orangutan asks girl for help in sign language
- HELP: American Sign Language for HELP
The American Sign Language sign for HELP. Follow WeeHands on twitter...
- DTV South African Sign Language Lessons - Help
In this week's South African Sign Language lesson, Thabo introduces us to the foundations of asking questions, and asking for help.
- AMAZING! Orangutan asks girl for help in sign language edit
edited version original film...
- RAN - AMAZING! Orangutan asks girl for help in sign language (2013)
RAN and Free Range teamed up to create the Conflict Palm campaign, inspiring thousands of new heroes to step up and take action on rainforest destruction...
Quotes about Help
Scrabble value of H4E1L1P3
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HELP
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Help!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Help to see it in context!