On this page:
- Definition of the noun herod
- Phrases with Herod
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Herod
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Herod
- Photos about Herod
- Videos about Herod
- Quotes about Herod
- Scrabble value of H4E1R1O1D2
- Anagrams of HEROD
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun herod
What does herod mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- king of Judea who (according to the New Testament) tried to kill Jesus by ordering the death of all children under age two in Bethlehem (73-4 BC)
- examples: Herod's house is again headed for destruction, destined for the fire. | Then came King Herod. | Herod the Great built the Masada fortress and rebuilt the Temple. | Herod the Great suffered from paranoia.
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of Herod: Herod the Great
- instance of: king / male monarch / Rex = a male sovereign
- Herod a.k.a. Herod the Great: Herod, also known as Herod the Great and Herod I, was a Roman client king of Judea, referred to as the Herodian kingdom. He has been described as "a madman who murdered his own family and a great many rabbis", "the evil genius of the Judean nation", "prepared to commit any crime in order to gratify his unbounded ambition" and "the greatest builder in Jewish history". He is known for his colossal building projects throughout Judea, including his expansion of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, the construction of the port at Caesarea Maritima, the fortress at Masada and Herodium. Vital details of his life are recorded in the works of the 1st century CE Roman–Jewish historian Josephus.
- read more about Herod the Great
- Herod a.k.a. Herod Antipas: Herod Antipater, known by the nickname Antipas, was a 1st-century ruler of Galilee and Perea, who bore the title of tetrarch. He is best known today for accounts in the New Testament of his role in events that led to the executions of John the Baptist and Jesus of Nazareth.
- read more about Herod Antipas
- Herod was a son of Herod the Great and Cleopatra of Jerusalem.
Herod is a heavy metal band from the United States. The band was formed in 2000 in Buffalo, New York by Jesse Benker and Mike Jeffers. Their first release was "Sinner's in the Eye's of an Angery God" in 2001, followed by Execution Protocol in early 2002 through Too Damn Hype Records. In 2003 the band was signed by Lifeforce Records. Since being signed, the band has released two albums with Lifeforce, the first being For Whom the Gods Would Destroy. Jason Russo replaced vocalist Judah Nero in 2005. Shortly afterward the band went into the studio to record their second album with Lifeforce Records, Rich Man's War, Poor Man's Fight, with producer Doug White. The record was released in March 2006. Late 2008 Herod joined Dark Harvest Records. and began recording their label debut Curse of The King, and follow up Self Titled CDEP.
- genres: Thrash metal, Heavy metal
- albums: "For Whom the Gods Would Destroy", "Rich Man's War, Poor Man's Fight", "The Curse of the King"
- official website: www.herod.cc
Herod was a Thoroughbred racehorse. He was one of the three foundation sires of the modern Thoroughbred racehorse, along with Matchem and Eclipse. Herod was the foundation sire responsible for keeping the Byerley Turk sire-line alive.
- born in (257 years ago)
- died on (234 years ago)
- Herod is the fictional representation of the 1st-century ruler of Galilee and Perea, who bore the title of tetrarch, best known today for accounts in the New Testament of his role in events that led to the executions of John the Baptist and Jesus of Nazareth.
- also known as Herod Antipas, King Herod
- in films:
- "From the Manger to the Cross", played by Robert G. Vignola
- "The Passion of the Christ", played by Luca De Dominicis
- "Mary, Mother of Jesus", played by Hywel Bennett
- "Salome's Last Dance", played by Stratford Johns
- "Wilde Salome", played by Al Pacino
- "Salomé", played by Al Pacino
- "Jesus Christ Superstar", played by Josh Mostel
- "Jesus", played by Luca Barbareschi
- "From the Manger to the Cross", played by George Kellog
- "Salome", played by Charles Laughton
- "Salome", played by Giovanni Holguin
- "Son of God", played by Rick Bacon
- "Jesus, our Lord", played by Carlos East
- "Mary Mother of Christ", played by Ben Kingsley
- "Son of Man", played by Sibusiso Ziqubu
- "The Star of Bethlehem", played by William Russell
- Herod is a fictional character from the 1995 action, thriller and western film The Quick and the Dead.
There are other characters with in their name, like Herod the Great.
"Herod" is a book by Stephen Phillips.
- also known as "Herod; a tragedy"
Herod a.k.a. Herod, Illinois: Herod is an unincorporated community in Pope County, Illinois, United States. Herod is located on Illinois Route 34 at the edge of the Shawnee National Forest. Herod has a post office with ZIP code 62947.
- read more about Herod, Illinois
Phrases with Herod
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Herod
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Theatre, Body and Pleasure (2013)
by Simon Shepherd
Although cited by early modern critics as the precursor to Tamburlaine's strutting, Herod is a different entity.
Herod is an amateur performer on a temporary or movable platform, doing a performance that happens once a year at this time.
The Joseph Murphy Treasury by Joseph Murphy
Herod means the worldmind, race belief, and acceptance of the traditions of the past. Such a mind believes it...
Herod is the tetrarch; the latter means the fourth part of the province, or the ruler of the fourth part of a country. You have four parts : ...
Lectures on logic. Vol. 1
The well-known syllogism, Mus syllaba est ; Mus caseu'm rodit; Ergo, syllaba caseum roditf is an example; or, Herod is a fox; A for is a quadruped ,Thercfure, Herod is a quadruped. To this fallacy may be reduced what are called the Sophisma ...
Lectures on Logic (1860)
by William Hamilton
The well-known syllogism, Mus syllaba est ; Mus caseum rodit ; Ergo, syllaba caseum roditf is an example ; or, Herod is a fox ; A fox is a quadruped ; Therefore, Herod is a quadruped.
Reduced and Prepared for Use in Colleges and Schools by Sir William Hamilton, Henry Noble Day
The well- known syllogism, Mus syllaba est; Mus caseum rodit; Ergo, syllaba caseum rodit, is an example ; or, Herod is a fox ; A fox- is a quadruped ; Therefore , Herod is a quadruped. To this fallacy may be reduced what are called the ...
by Robert C. Tannehill
Herod is a threat to Jesus, requiring an escape to Egypt. Scripture is used differently, with a number of explicit citations in Matthew. There is conflict in the two Gospels' views of Mary and Joseph's home: Luke must explain how people who live ...
Stagecoach to Tombstone (2007)
The Filmgoers' Guide to the Great Westerns by Howard Hughes
The ultrastylised events in Redemption are backed by Alan Silvestri's spaghettiwestern pastiche score, while Herod is a cardboard cutout compared to Little Bill Daggett: no Oscars for Hackman here. Eastwood proved with Unforgiven that the ...
As Published by the Late Mr. Charles Taylor, with the Fragments Incorporated. The Whole Condensed and Arranged in Alphabetical Order by Augustin Calmet, Edward Robinson
Because Hyrcanus could no longer exercise the functions of the high-priesthood, Herod bestows that dignity on Ananel.
Dictionary of the Holy Bible (1832)
by Augustin Calmet
Because Hyrcanus could no longer exercise the functions of the high-priesthood, Herod bestows that dignity on Ananel .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Herod
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Herod
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Herod pregame
Photo credit: fsteele770
- Herod puts the kick up
Photo credit: fsteele770
- Hummel and Herod end zone sack
Photo credit: fsteele770
- Herod dives as Batten recovers fumble
Photo credit: fsteele770
- Herod Atticus Odeum
Photo credit: zcamerino
- Herod Amphitheater
Here's Nikki, making her tabloid pose...
Photo credit: dahon
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Herod
Click on an item to play that video:
- Herod Meaning
Video shows what Herod means. The name of a number of members of the Herodian dynasty who ruled the province of Judea.. The Biblical king who is said to ...
- Herodion fortress (Herod) - an explanation of the structure of the site. Guide: Zahi Shaked
- King Herod's song every noun replaced with sausage
It had to be done.
See also the pronunciation examples of Herod!
Quotes about Herod
Herod and Pilate are good friends.
more quotes about herod...
Scrabble value of H4E1R1O1D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HEROD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Herod!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Herod to see it in context!