The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun homo:
Definition of Homo
What does Homo mean?
- someone who is sexually attracted to persons of the same sex
- synonyms of homo: gay / homophile / homosexual
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- any living or extinct member of the family Hominidae characterized by superior intelligence, articulate speech, and erect carriage
- synonyms of homo: human / human being / man
- more generic word: hominid = a primate of the family Hominidae
- more specific terms:
- human beings / human race / humankind / humanity / mankind / humans / world / man = all of the living human inhabitants of the earth
- Homo erectus = extinct species of primitive hominid with upright stature but small brain
- Homo soloensis = extinct primitive hominid of late Pleistocene; Java
- Homo habilis = extinct species of upright East African hominid having some advanced humanlike characteristics
- Homo sapiens = the only surviving hominid; species to which modern man belongs; bipedal primate having language and ability to make and use complex tools
- Homo sapiens neanderthalensis / Neanderthal man / Neandertal man / Neanderthal / Neandertal = extinct robust human of Middle Paleolithic in Europe and western Asia
- Homo rhodesiensis / Rhodesian man = a primitive hominid resembling Neanderthal man but living in Africa
- lumbus / loin = either side of the backbone between the hipbone and the ribs in humans as well as quadrupeds
- material body / physical body / human body / physique / anatomy / chassis / figure / build / flesh / frame / shape / form / soma / bod = alternative names for the body of a human being
- body hair = short hair growing over a person's body
- head of hair / mane = growth of hair covering the scalp of a human being
- human head = the head of a human being
- human foot / foot / pes = the part of the leg of a human being below the ankle joint
- arm = a human limb
- manus / hand / mitt / paw = the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb
- human face / face = the front of the human head from the forehead to the chin and ear to ear
- member of: genus Homo = type genus of the family Hominidae
- [colloquial] [sometimes, pejorative] Of or pertaining to homosexuality.
- [not comparable] [Canada, US] Homogenized; almost always said of milk with a high butterfat content.
- [colloquial, often, pejorative] Short form of homosexual.
- [uncountable, dated, US, Canada] Homogenized milk with a high butterfat content.
Phrases with Homo
Phrases starting with the word Homo:
- Homo Milk
- Homo Sapien
- homo erectus
- homo habilis
- homo sapiens
- Homo Politicus
- homo soloensis
- Homo Oeconomicus
- homo rhodesiensis
- homo heidelbergensis
- homo sapiens sapiens
- homo sapiens neanderthalensis
Phrases ending with the word Homo:
- No Homo
- ecce homo
- genus homo
- Species Homo
Homo a.k.a. Mykola Vorony was an Ukrainian writer, poet, theatre director, translator and actor.
- also known as Mykola Kindratovich Vorony, Mykola Voronyj, Arlekin, Vishchy Oleh, Siriuk, Kondratovych
- born on (142 years ago) in Yekaterinoslav Governorate, child of Kindrat Vorony and O. Kolachinska
- nationality: Soviet Union
- profession: Writer, poet, actor, theatre director, translator
- Marriage with Vira Verbytska-Antiokh since
- parent of
- died on (75 years ago) in Odessa of execution by firing squad
- written works: "Lyrical Poems", "In the Aura of Dreams", "For Ukraine", "Poems", "Theater and Drama", "A Dramatic Prima Donna", "Євшан-зілля", "Пензлем і пером", "Театральне мистецтво й український театр", "Mykhaylo Shchepkin", "Український театр у Києві", "Мандрівна елегія", "Icarus", "Сонячні хвилини", "Мерці", "Молодий патріот", "Старим патріотам", "Режисер", "Горами, горами", "Привид"
There are other people with Homo in their name, like Frédérique Homo.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Homo
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Homo is a substantive of common gender, and in the present instance is evidently to be referred to the second sex.
What Does It Mean to Be Human? (2010)
by Richard Potts, Christopher Sloan
It is to this fourth major group on the human family tree thatour own species, Homo sapieris, belongs. Homo is the most widespread, diverse, and recent of all the hominin genera it is also the genus known for its enlarged brain and toolmaking.
PUNCH; JANUARY TO JUNE, 1858 (1858)
Homo is a substantive of common gender, and in ; the present instance is evidently to be referred to the second...
Encyclopedia of Surface and Colloid Science (2006)
by P. Somasundaran
The HOMO (A, B) and (C, D) LUMO-molecular orbitals of ethylene glycol and hexadecane. In the case of ethylene glycol. the orbitals contain wide portions not centered between pairs of atoms, which can strongly interact with accepting ...
The Dictionary of Human Geography (2011)
by Derek Gregory, Ron Johnston, Geraldine Pratt, Michael Watts, Sarah Whatmore
Literally both 'sacred man' and 'accursed man', homo sacer was a subjectposition conferred by archaic Roman LAW on those whose lives and deaths were deemed to be of no consequence. This dismal figure has come to be of considerable ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Homo
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Homo
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: sk8geek
- Homo Homini Lupus
Photo credit: Cacahuete Feliz
- Homo erotisch bier draaien
Homo erotisch bier draaien @Rhinofly
- Posted using...
Photo credit: nilicule
- Homo neanderthalensis
Taken at the David H. Koch Hall of Human Origins at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.
Photo credit: Ryan Somma
View more pictures about Homo sapien and Homo heidelbergensis.
Video about Homo
"Homo Diaspora": Reading Futurist Language Fiction as Translational Histories - Joshua Miller
A flurry of 21st century novels have appeared that could be described as linguistic dystopian fiction. Channeling apocalyptic millennial sentiments of both c...
See also the pronunciation examples of Homo!
Quotes about Homo
Only a Homo Ignorant terms himself Sapiens. (Hasier Agirre)
more quotes about homo...
Scrabble value of H4O1M3O1
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of HOMO
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Homo!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Homo to find many related words and phrases!