Imagine appears in the following tongue twisters:
- Can you imagine an imaginary menagerie manager
imagining managing an imaginary menagerie?
- Imagine, imagining imagining, an imaginary imaginary imaginary menagerie manager, imagining imagining imagining an imaginary imaginary imaginary managerie.
On this page:
- Definition of the verb imagine
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Imagine
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Imagine
- Usage statistics about imagine
- Photos about Imagine
- Video language resources about Imagine
- Sign language
- Quotes about Imagine
- Scrabble value of I1M3A1G2I1N1E1
- Anagrams of IMAGINE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb imagine
What does imagine mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: imagined | imagining | imagines
- form a mental image of something that is not present or that is not the case
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Predicate, what-extraction] He described what we should do Verbs with Predicative Complements: accept, define, describe, envisage, identify, portray, recollect, remember, represent, visualize [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Predicate, what-infinitive clause] He described what to do [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, object control with -ing] He characterized him as being smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, small clause] He characterized him to be smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] He characterized him as smart [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, arbitrary control with -ing] He described going to work [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, how-extraction] He described how he could rise to high office [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, wh-infinitive clause] He described how to do it [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, how-extraction] I considered how he could become professor Verbs with Predicative Complements: acknowledge, deem, esteem, rate, reckon, report, view [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with preposition and -ing] They considered him as being stupid [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] They considered that he was the professor [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, to be] They considered him to be the professor [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, wh-infinitive clause] I considered how to be a professor
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of imagine: conceive of / envisage / ideate
- more generic terms: create by mental act / create mentally = create mentally and abstractly rather than with one's hands
- more specific words:
- visualise / visualize / envision / picture / project / figure / fancy / image / see = imagine; conceive of
- visualise / visualize = form a mental picture of something that is invisible or abstract
- envision / foresee = picture to oneself
- fantasise / fantasize = portray in the mind
- prefigure = imagine or consider beforehand
- think = imagine or visualize
- fantasise / fantasize / fantasy = indulge in fantasies
- woolgather / daydream / stargaze / dream = have a daydream
- expect, believe, or suppose
- examples: I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel | They imagine that there was a traffic accident
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, for-complement clause] I wished for her to do it [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, noun phrase with past participle] I wished the children found [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with infinitive] He wished to come [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] He wished that she would come immediately [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, to be] I wished him to be nice [Experiencer - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme, not sentential clause] I wished it
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of imagine: guess / opine / reckon / suppose / think
- more generic words: anticipate / expect = regard something as probable or likely
- more specific word: suspect = hold in suspicion
Alternative definition of the verb imagine
- [transitive] To form a mental image of something; to envision or create something in one's mind.
- synonym: ween
- [transitive] To believe in something created by one's own mind.
- [transitive] To assume.
- [transitive] To conjecture or guess.
- [intransitive] To use one's imagination.
- [intransitive] To guess or conjecture.
Imagine was an Irish Thoroughbred racehorse and broodmare best known for winning the Irish 1000 Guineas and the Epsom Oaks in 2001. In a racing career which lasted from August 2000 to June 2001 the filly ran ten times and won four races. As a two-year-old, Imagine ran six times, winning the Group Three C. L. Weld Park Stakes at the Curragh and finishing second in the Group Two Rockfel Stakes at Newmarket. The following spring, the filly was beaten in her first two races before winning the Irish 1000 Guineas at the Curragh. Imagine recorded her most valuable success on her final appearance, winning the Classic Oaks over one and a half miles at Epsom. She never raced again, but proved to be a successful broodmare.
- born on (16 years ago)
- "Imagine" is a song written and performed by the English musician John Lennon. The best-selling single of his solo career, its lyrics encourage the listener to imagine a world at peace without the barriers of borders or the divisiveness of religions and nationalities, and to consider the possibility that the focus of humanity should be living a life unattached to material possessions.
- also known as Вообрази, Представь себе
- music and lyrics by John Lennon
- "Imagine" is the second album by John Lennon. Recorded and released in 1971, the album is more heavily produced in contrast to the basic, raw arrangements of his previous album, the critically acclaimed John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. The album is considered the most popular of his works. The title track is considered one of Lennon's finest songs. In 2012, Imagine was voted 80th on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".
- "Imagine" is the third studio album by Dutch trance producer and DJ Armin van Buuren, released on April 18, 2008 by Armada Music. The album entered the Dutch album chart at number one, a first for a dance music artist in Dutch music history. In the US, it debuted at number four on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Albums chart.
- "Imagine" is the third album by American singer Eva Cassidy. Released in 2002, six years after her death, it was her second UK no. 1 album.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Imagine" is a song performed by Norwegian singer Tone Damli as a duet with Eric Saade. The song is from her fifth studio album Looking Back. It was written per request by and features vocals from Swedish singer Eric Saade. It was released in Norway as a digital download on 27 April 2012.
- Imagine is a song by American rapper Snoop Dogg, featuring guest vocals from singer Dr. Dre and D'Angelo, taken from Snoop Dogg's eighth studio album Tha Blue Carpet Treatment. The song was written by Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre and Mark Batson, with production handled by Dr. Dre and Mark Batson.
- "Imagine" is a composition.
- "Imagine" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Imagine" is a musical single of John Lennon.
- released on (43 years ago)
"Imagine" is a book by Tommy Sheridan.
- also known as "Imagine: a socialist vision for the 21st century"
- "Imagine" is a 2012 Polish drama film directed by Andrzej Jakimowski.
- also known as Blind Watching
- countries: Poland, Portugal, France, United Kingdom
- languages: English Language, French, Portuguese Language, German Language, Polish Language
- producers: Andrzej Jakimowski, Vladimir Kokh, François d'Artemarre
- production design by Ewa Jakimowska
- art direction by Ewa Jakimowska & João Torres
- written by Andrzej Jakimowski
- Edward Hogg as Ian
- Alexandra Lara as Eva
- Melchior Beslon as Serrano
- Francis Frappat as Doctor
- David Atrakchi as Traveller
- Teresa Madruga as Sister Maria
- Luís Lucas as Surgeon
- João Vaz as José
- João Lagarto as Brother Humberto
- Pablo Malter as Mário
- Figueira Cid as Janitor
- Filipe Duarte as Stranger
- Luís Esparteiro as Policeman
- Patricia Piseiro as Ana
- Frank T. London as Blind Girl's Father
- cinematography by Adam Bajerski
- edited by Cezary Grzesiuk
- music by Tomasz Gąssowski
- costume design by Ola Staszko
- genre: Drama
- released on
- Polish Academy Award for Best Film nomination for Andrzej Jakimowski
- Polish Academy Award for Best Screenplay nomination for Andrzej Jakimowski
- Polish Academy Award for Best Director nomination for Andrzej Jakimowski
- Polish Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Adam Bajerski
- Polish Academy Award for Best Sound nomination for Jacek Hamela & Guillaume Le Bras
- Polish Academy Award for Best Editing nomination for Cezary Grzesiuk
- Polish Academy Audience Award nomination for Andrzej Jakimowski
- Polish Academy Award for Best Sound, received by Jacek Hamela & Guillaume Le Bras
- official website: www.imaginethefilm.org
- "Imagine" is a comedy drama film written and directed by Dan Fogelman.
- "Imagine" a.k.a. "Imagine That" is a 2009 summer release directed by Karey Kirkpatrick, starring Eddie Murphy and Yara Shahidi.
- read more about Imagine That
- "Imagine" is a 1972 television film by John Lennon and Yoko Ono, filmed mostly at their Tittenhurst Park home in Ascot, England, during 1971, and intended for television. All the songs from Lennon's Imagine album appear in the soundtrack, and also the songs "Mrs. Lennon" and "Don't Count the Waves", from Ono's album Fly.
- "Imagine" a.k.a. "Imagine: John Lennon" is a 1988 documentary film about English musician John Lennon.
- read more about Imagine: John Lennon
- "Imagine" is a short film, directed by Jonathan Steven Green.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- released in
- "Imagine" is a 1987 short film written and directed by Zbigniew Rybczynski.
- "Imagine" is a 2011 short biographical drama film written and directed by Alfie Barker.
- Imagine is a series of video games primarily for the Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, Microsoft Windows, and Wii game consoles, released from 2007 and aimed primarily at girls. All games are published by French video game company Ubisoft.
- Imagine is a wide ranging arts series first broadcast on BBC One in 2003, hosted and executive produced by Alan Yentob. Each series usually consists of 4 to 7 episodes, each on a different topic. Episodes have been directed by, among others, Geoff Wonfor, Lucy Blakstead, Roger Parsons and Zoë Silver.
- Imagine is an image and animation viewer developed by Chun Sejin for Microsoft Windows, capable of viewing numerous image formats, including ANI, ANM, BMP, CorelDRAW, CDT, PAT, CMX, CUR, DCX, DDS, EMF, GIF, ICL, ICO, JPE, JPEG, MacPaint, MNG, PBM, PCD, PCX, PGM, PIC, CEL, PNG, PPM, PSD, PSP, RAS, RLA, RLE, SGI, SPR, TGA, TIFF, WBMP, WMF, XBM, XCF, and XPM.
- genres: Image organizer, Image viewer
- license: Freeware, Donationware
- official website: www.nyam.pe.kr
- Imagine is an educational periodical for 7th-12th graders and published by the Center for Talented Youth at Johns Hopkins University. It is intended to provide intellectual stimulus for students looking toward their college years. Each issue focuses on an academic theme such as engineering, social sciences, archaeology, or robotics, that a younger student might not be exposed to in the course of primary or secondary education. The magazine also features, among other things, student-written articles about summer and extracurricular activities, reviews of selective colleges, book reviews, interviews with accomplished people, puzzles, college planning advice, and career options information. Contests for Imagine readers are held at times, with topics ranging from essay competitions to photo contests. In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 Imagine was awarded the Parents' Choice Gold Award for magazines. The editor is Melissa Hartman of Johns Hopkins University, CTY.
- official website: www.jhu.edu/cty/imagine/index.html
- Imagine was the name of a cutting-edge 3D modeling and ray tracing program, originally for the Amiga computer and later also for MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows. It was created by Impulse, Inc. It used the .iob extension for its objects. Imagine was a derivative of the software TurboSilver, which was also for the Amiga and written by Impulse. The Windows version of the program was abandoned when Impulse dropped out of the 3D software market; but the Amiga version is still maintained and sold by CAD Technologies. The Windows and DOS versions have been made available in full along with other freely distributed products such as Organica at the fansite Imagine 3D which also has a forum, gallery and downloads section.
- Imagine Magazine was a monthly magazine dedicated to the first edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons and Dungeons and Dragons role playing game systems published by TSR UK Limited.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Imagine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Second International Conference, Iciar 2005, Toronto, Canada, September 28-30, 2005, Proceedings by Mohamed Kamel, Aurélio Campilho
Imagine is a stream-based prototype processor designed for media processing. It uses a three-level bandwidth hierarchy to exploit parallelism and data locality. It has good performance in media processing. H.264 is the newest digital video ...
Cognitive Poetics (2009)
Goals, Gains and Gaps by Geert Brône, Jeroen Vandaele
Difficult to imagine is that a discipline like Physics would doubt the value of empirical research. Equally difficult to imagine is that a discipline like Psychology would have any hesitations with empirical research. To most literary scholars, ...
In Violet's Wake (2013)
by Robin Devereaux-Nelson
“And then, see, what happens is, you react like that stuffyou imagine is the truth. And it's all messed up.” Costa nodded and just listened.
by Annette Kujawski Taylor Ph.D.
The researchers theorized that to answer the ques- tion, participants would have to imagine rotating the second drawing until it was the same orientation as the first drawing. If mental imagery was cre- ated in analog code, it should take more ...
by Ronald Story
Imagine you areina favorite place, and suddenly you see a UFO. Describe ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Imagine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about imagine
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the verb imagine:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb imagine:
Photos about Imagine
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: raymaclean
Photo credit: Go-tea 郭天
Googleplex, Mountain View, California
Photo credit: Photographing Travis
Taken during the Bushwick Open Studios in Bushwick, Brooklyn, NY.
Camera: Minolta SRT-102
Lens: MC Rokkor-PF 1.7 55mm
Film: Kodak Gold 400
Listen: John Lennon - Imagine
Photo credit: All Kinds of New
Photo credit: Pen Waggener
Photo credit: Adam J Skowronski
Photo credit: C.Alain
Photo credit: MeganMc89
Photo credit: lisaschafferphoto
Imagine Exhibition Taking place at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
Photo credit: Jamie Guimond Productions
Photo credit: -Jeffrey-
Photo credit: Clearly Ambiguous
Canterbury Street, Saint John N.B.
Photo credit: Number Six (bill lapp)
Photo credit: AlejandraPT
Photo credit: EvelynGiggles
What's the story for you in that picture ?
Taken some years ago with a point and shot camera. Some post processing applied.
Photo credit: photophilde
- Imagine Cup
Photo credit: [email protected]
- Imagine Festival, Basel
Photo credit: FotostudioAbsolute
Strawberry Fields, no dia do Natal no Central Park.
Tenham uma boa sexta...
Strawberry Fields in Central Park on Christmas Day.
Have a nice friday...
Photo credit: Diego3336
- Imagine Flowers
imagine yourself walking in a place where flowers are everywhere
Photo credit: iglooo101
View more pictures about Imagine Dragons.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Imagine
Click on an item to play that video:
- Imagine meaning and pronunciation
A song by Jogn Lennon about the perfect world in John's eyes. Found on the album of the same name, and every Lennon compilation. It has been covered by ...
- Imagine Education Australia - GE students react to Australian Slang!
- The Life You Imagine Vocabulary Lesson
- Imagine Meaning
Video shows what imagine means. To form a mental image of something; to envision or create something in one's mind.. To believe in something created by ...
- Imagine Life with More Meaning- A D6 Reformation
Deuteronomy 6:1-7, Ephesians 6:1-4 and many other scriptures teach us that parents should teach their children about God. God put the responsibility of ...
- Dialect of Toy Box Scholars - Imagine
- "Imagine" John Lennon Live Painting by Slang
- Imagine: A video dictionary definition
- Life Is Of Greater Depth and Meaning Than You Can Imagine
- "IMAGINE" John Lennon - Multi language Subtitle - (2009 video remastered)
Come John avrebbe voluto.."IMAGINE" in tutte le lingue del mondo..
- ESL Singing Imagine
- A2- B1 John Lennon Imagine Verb sterben an D
German learning with video lessons by Bernd Ziesche.
- Boreal vs Imagine - Game 1 bo3 - ESL One New York 2015 NA Qualifier
Boreal Esports vs Team Imagine - Boreal vs Imagine - ESL One New York 2015 NA Qualifier - Game 1 bo3 - Dota 2 The base prize pool for this tournament is ...
- Imagine (Verb) - Daily Dictionary
- Imagine A World Without Words - Lend Your Voice to Language Diversity
The Microsoft Local Language Program provides people access to technology in a familiar language while respecting linguistic and cultural distinctions.
- English as a second language TV show - Imagine Island
Imagine Island is a TV show that teaches kids all around the world the English Language. Its perfect for children that are learning English as a second language ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Imagine!
Click on an item to play that video:
- "Imagine" by John Lennon Sign Singing, British Sign Language (BSL)
"Imagine" is a war protest song written and performed by John Lennon. He was not only an amazing musical artist (one of the founding members of The Beatles, ...
- Imagine John Lennon ASL (American Sign Language) com som
Imagine--John Lennon ASL (American Sign Language) Imagine Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the ...
- Sign Language to Imagine by John Lennon
- Sign Language "It's Time" Imagine Dragons
College ASL final project!
- Madi - American Sign Language - Imagine
Madison doing Imagine by John Lennon for her American Sign Language Class. Song rights belong to John Lennon. Audio performance by the Glee cast.
Quotes about Imagine
the curtains fall
the lights turn off
how tears fall
how the earth
itself becoming an
a desert and
the body a sprinkle
the lips as cold
chalice (Ric S. Bastasa)
more quotes about imagine...
Scrabble value of I1M3A1G2I1N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of IMAGINE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Imagine!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Imagine to see it in context!