The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun imbecile:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun imbecile
- Definition of the adjective imbecile
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Imbecile
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Imbecile
- Photos about Imbecile
- Video about Imbecile
- Quotes about Imbecile
- Scrabble value of I1M3B3E1C3I1L1E1
- Share this page
Definition of the noun imbecile
What does imbecile mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: imbeciles
- a person of subnormal intelligence
Alternative definition of the noun imbecile
- [obsolete] A person with limited [l, en, mental] [l, en, capacity] who can perform [l, en, tasks] and think only like a young child, in medical circles meaning a person who lacks the capacity to develop beyond the mental age of a normal five to seven-year-old child.
- [context: pejorative] A fool, an idiot.
Definition of the adjective imbecile
What does imbecile mean as an attribute of a noun?
- having a mental age of three to seven years
- Imbecile a.k.a. T.R. Chula: Chula is Cat R. Waul's main lackey. He's very eccentric, sadistic, and a bit on the insane side. He often does Waul's dirty work, such as giving Fievel 'the flying ahh', plugging up the water tower in Green River, and keeping Fievel trapped in a bottle while Waul was distracted by Tanya. He then proceeded to place the bottle over a candle and burn Fievel; that's his sadistic side. He tends to enjoy his job maybe a little too much.
- read more about T.R. Chula
- Imbecile a.k.a. El Imbécil is a fictional character from the 1999 comedy film Manolito Gafotas.
- read more about El Imbécil
- "Imbecile" a.k.a. "Imbécile" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Imbecile" a.k.a. "Imbécile" is a musical album of Olivier Libaux.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Imbecile" is a musical EP of Portion Reform.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Imbecile" is a composition.
- music by Replacer
Imbecile was a medical category of people with moderate to severe intellectual disability, as well as a type of criminal. The term arises from the Latin word imbecillus, meaning weak, or weak-minded. It included people with an IQ of 21–50, between "moron" and "idiot".
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Imbecile
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Julia Cresswell
imbecile. Originally an imbecile was physically weak. The root meaning may be ' without a supporting staff', from Latin baculum 'stick, staff'. The current sense dates from the early 19th century. inane This ...
First edition, 2010 by LB Lokosang
imbecile. mamalija vi: to act foolishly; to behave like an imbecile.
by Leslie Dunkling
Imbecile A variant on the 'idiot/fool' theme, less often used than those common words and perhaps favoured by educated speakers. The Bell, by Iris Murdoch, has ...
by Stephen J. Farenga, Immanuel Ness
By 1913 six more categories had been added¦moral imbecile, mental defective ( feebleminded), blind, deaf, epileptic, and physically defective. In 1945 there were twelve categories, with some incorporating more than one earlier designation ...
by Walter W. Skeat, Walter William Skeat
imbecile, formerly imbecile ; see Imbecile. Emblem. (F. - L. - Gk.) O.V. embleme.
by Louisa Pansegrouw
ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, moron, nerd, nincompoop, nitwit, simpleton idiotic asinine, crazy, daft, dumb, fatuous, foolhardy, foolish, harebrained, imbecile, inane, insane, lunatic, moronic, stupid, unintelligent idle dawdle, fruitless, futile, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Imbecile
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Imbecile
Click on an item to view that photo:
The Loogy and the Imbecile
Photo credit: Steven Bedingfield
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Imbecile
Video shows what imbecile means. A person with limited who can perform and think only like a young child, in medical circles meaning a person who lacks the ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Imbecile!
Quotes about Imbecile
Scrabble value of I1M3B3E1C3I1L1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Imbecile to see it in context!