On this page:
- Definition of the noun importance
- Phrases with Importance
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Importance
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Importance
- Photos about Importance
- Video language resources about Importance
- Sign language
- Quotes about Importance
- Scrabble value of I1M3P3O1R1T1A1N1C3E1
- Anagrams of IMPORTANCE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun importance
What does importance mean as a name of something?
Importance is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: importances
- the quality of being important and worthy of note
- example: the importance of a well-balanced diet
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- antonym: unimportance
- more generic word: value = the quality (positive or negative) that renders something desirable or valuable
- more specific terms:
- big deal = anything of great importance or consequence
- magnitude = relative importance
- account = importance or value
- momentousness = utmost importance
- prominence = relative importance
- illustriousness / greatness = the property possessed by something or someone of outstanding importance or eminence
- significance = the quality of being significant
- essentialness / essentiality = basic importance
- urgency = pressing importance requiring speedy action
- weightiness / weight = the relative importance granted to something
- a prominent status
- example: a person of importance
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of importance: grandness
- more generic word: standing = social or financial or professional status or reputation
- more specific words:
Importance is an idea that has existed forever but is being applied very differently in the Internet age. It's a simple cave rules notion relating to one's contribution to a community create some form of their importance in the community. It is the essence of why sites like Wikipedia work.
Phrases with Importance
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Importance
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Cognitive Economy (1989)
The Economic Dimension of the Theory of Knowledge by Nicholas Rescher
FOUR Importance and Economic Rationality SYNOPSIS (1) Importance is a key factor in the economics of cognition.
by Nicholas Rescher
Importance is a comparative conception: one thing is more important than another.
Hearing Before the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives, 59th Congress, 1st Session [February 21-March 20, 1906] in Relation to H.R. 3159, H.R. 13655, H.R. 13856, H.R. 16479 ... (1906)
by United States. Congress. House. Committee on the Judiciary
importance is the fact that beer is the nation's drink, or rather it is the nation's food , for be it understood, especially by those radical temperance people who talk so much and know so little about beer, that nearly, if not quite, one-half of the ...
Simple Formal Logic (2010)
With Common-Sense Symbolic Techniques by Arnold vander Nat
Clearly, importance is a relation. Things are never just...
We propose that the intended importance is an epistemic importance, for which the goal at issue is the attainment of truth, the acquisition of knowledge. We also propose that the purpose ...
Data Structures and Applications by Florian Wolf, Edward Gibson
Relative importance refers to how significant the content of a text segment is relative to the content of the text as a whole.
by Pravir K. Chawdhry, Rajkumar Roy, Raj K. Pant
Importance is a simple way to give a ranking method additional problem-specific information, in order to direct a GA to converge on...
Consequently, it is clear that importance is an essential tool to help the evolution of acceptable solutions.
by Steven G. Rogelberg
Relative importance analysis is designed to help researchers answer ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Mixed sciences, vol. 5
Relative importance of organs—In determining the M particular group to which a plant belongs, it is necessary to compare its characters with those of other species. By the term “ characters," we mean the peculiar appearances presented by ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
thrust, value, worth import duty: tariff import illegally: smuggle importance: attention, consequence, dimension, emphasis, gravity, influence, magnitude, moment, position, prestige, priority, prominence, lank, relevance, salience, significance, ...
by Sunggyu Lee
shows how all these different pieces of information are correlated to generate a numerical ranking of functional product requirement importance. Clearly, QFD is at best a "semi" quantitative tool, particularly at the top level.
An English-Herero Dictionary (1883)
With an Introduction to the Study of Herero and Bantu in General by F. W. Kolbe
N'omutima IMPORTANCE Imperiousness, n. Haughtiness, o-hama ; oku-yumba ohama; arrogance, oku-ritia ouhona ; fondness of power, okupaha ou-vara. Impertinence, n. E-handu ; ow-handu ; ou-ndiona ; owrangaranga ; otyi-sikarara.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine (2016)
Volume I: A-F plus Map and Gazetteer by Volodymyr Kubijovyc
During the period of migrations these influences ceased, and for a long time the Dniester lost its importance. When the Dniester Basin was settled by Ukrainian tribes and became part of Kievan Rus', the Dniester became the second ...
by Luiz Moutinho, Graeme D Hutcheson
This introduction is illustrative of the ambiguity surrounding MAUT/MAVT techniques, including the quantification of alternative preference measurement and attribute importance weighting. Belton and Stewart (2001) advocate that easy-to-use ...
The Student's Law-dictionary (1740)
Or, Compleat English Law-expositor
Importance is either General or Special: General, is when it is entered in general Terms, without any special clauses,
Special Importance, is where the Defendant desires a further Day to answer, and it is thus set down and entered, viz.
by Frank J. Fabozzi
Importance. Sampling. The Monte Carlo simulation technique described so far is based on random sampling. In such a sampling process, the probability of any value being generated is proportional to the probability density at that point.
by Andrew Goudie
Empirical studies provide only partial support for such nutrient exports, and higblight the importance of geo morphological controls on marsh configuration and processes, operating over a range of scales (Nixon 1980). Geomorphologists have ...
by Elmer Drew Merrill
Ahern, Chief of the Forestry Bureau, the object being to facilitate the work of the various employees of that Bureau in identifying the tree species of economic importance found in the Archipelago. For the interests of the Forestry Bureau the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Importance
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Importance
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Importance
Click on an item to play that video:
- The Importance of Vocabulary
An understanding of vocabulary influenced by Peter Johnston.
- Gayatri Mantra - Meaning and Importance
This video is an excerpt from Youth Meditation Retreat of 2010 held at Rishi Chaitanya Ashram, Gannaur by revered master Anandmurti Gurumaa. For more ...
- Meaning & Importance of Varahi Mantra - Spritual Awakening : Q&A #2
Spritual Awakening : Q&A #2 Who is Varahi Devi? What is the meaning & Importance of Varahi Mantra? By Guru Karunamaya.
- Random Assignment in Research: Definition and Importance
3 - Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology.
- Gayatri Mantra meaning and importance (English)
This is a video to simplify the meaning of the sacred Gayatri Mantra.
- Importing and Exporting in a Global Market: Definition, Process & Importance
4 - Business in Global Markets.
- Steadfastness, It Meaning and Importance | Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman
Stay Updated With IslamicMedia Entertainment through the following: Text your name to 0416 000 862 to stay updated IslamicMedia Entertainment YouTube ...
- Importance of medical terminology
- 2014 04 06 SB11 2 36 Sunday Feast Meaning and Importance of Bhagavat Dharma Gaur Krishna Prabhu
Sri Sri Radha Gopinath, ISKCON Chowpatty.
- E4/P1: Emotional Intelligence:Meaning, Importance in Public Service, How to develop
Language: Hindi, Topics Covered: - What is emotional intelligence? - Models and components of emotional intelligence - Importance of emotional intelligence in ...
- Meaning and Importance of Motivation by Qasim Ali Shah (WaqasNasir)3
Qasim Ali Shah | Professional Speaker, Trainer & Writer...
- A basic explanation of Poiseuille's law and its importance in anesthesia
A basic explanation of Poiseuille's law and its importance in anesthesia.
- Importance and meaning of universal "WAHEGURU" Maha Mantar
"WAHEGURU " IS MAHA MANTAR FOR WHOLE HUMANITY DERRIVED FROM 4 yugs (V+H+G+R)= NANAK NIRANKAR (In Satyug, Visnu in the form of ...
- MPG Primer: The importance of phenotype definition
MPG Primer: The importance of phenotype definition Jordan Smoller, M.D., Sc.D The Primer on Medical and Population Genetics is a series of informal weekly ...
- RICHARD LEVINS: on the Meaning and Importance of Marxist Education
Find out more about the Center for Marxist Education on facebook ...
- Entrepreneurship & the Economy: Definition & Importance
1 - The Dynamic Business Environment.
- SAARC Khabar - Importance of logo and meaning
- Meaning and Importance of Benchmarking
This video is part 1 of "Benchmarking" series by Professor Mohamed Zairi. In this video Prof. Zairi is explaining the meaning and importance of benchmarking.
- 01-03 The Importance of Meaning
- The Meaning and Importance of The Tabernacle - Sir James Barlow
Jim Cantelon speaks with Sir James Barlow about the meaning and importance of the tabernacle. Sir James Barlow Great Grandson of Charles Darwin.
- Body Language Expert Mark Bowden at TEDxToronto - The Importance Of Being Inauthentic
Body language, behavior and business communication expert Mark Bowden speaks at the fifth annual TEDxToronto. For more help go to...
- The importance of speech and language
Speech and Language is the thing that springboards the children into the rest of their lives. This film features national and local experts including the chief ...
- The importance of Body Language in Presentations
Deborah Grayson Riegel explains the importance of effective body language when speaking in front of groups. Clearly demonstrating the correct use of gestures ...
- The Importance of Language
This video is about The Importance of Language.
- The Importance of Language
The Importance of Language.
- The Importance of a Dual Language Education
A fun, upbeat video promoting the School District of Waukesha's Two-Way Dual Language program. Beginning in Kindergarten, students are instructed in the ...
- The Importance of Oral Language Development in the ESL/ELL Classroom
Reasons why oral language development is so important in the ELD/ESL classroom. Ballard & Tighe's Frames for Fluency is a tool that promotes oral ...
- Early Literacy: The Importance of Oral Language
Neuhaus Education Center is proud to partner in Houston ISD's pilot program, Read Houston Read, which supports its Literacy By 3 movement. The Literacy By ...
- How to Read Body Language : Importance of Eye Contact in Body Language
Learn the importance of the eyes in body language signals and how to read body language in this free video on body language communication skills. Expert: ...
- Importance of learning a second language Goldfish v Kitty
See also the pronunciation examples of Importance!
Click on an item to play that video:
- The importance of sign language
A short video highlighting the importance of teaching sign language to everybody. This will facilitate communication between the deaf and hearing communities, ...
- Importance of Learning Sign Language
Importance of Learning Sign Language. Part of the series: Basic Sign Language Phrases. Thousands of Americans use sign language. To communicate ...
Quotes about Importance
For me archaeology is not a source of illustrations for written texts, but an independent source of historical information, with no less value and importance, sometimes more importance, that the written sources. (Michael I. Rostovtzeff)
more quotes about importance...
Scrabble value of I1M3P3O1R1T1A1N1C3E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of IMPORTANCE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Importance!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Importance to see it in context!