The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun in:
On this page:
The word in is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun in
What does in mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- in: ins
- In: -
- a unit of length equal to one twelfth of a foot
- regions: Britain / Great Britain / U.K. / UK / United Kingdom / United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of in: inch
- more generic terms: linear measure / linear unit = a unit of measurement of length
- part of: foot / ft = a linear unit of length equal to 12 inches or a third of a yard
- a rare soft silvery metallic element; occurs in small quantities in sphalerite
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of In: atomic number 49 / indium
- more generic terms: metal / metallic element = any of several chemical elements that are usually shiny solids that conduct heat or electricity and can be formed into sheets etc.
- substance of: blende / sphalerite / zinc blende = an ore that is the chief source of zinc
- a state in midwestern United States
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- scientific name: Indiana
- synonyms of IN: Hoosier State / Ind.
- instance of: American state = one of the 50 states of the United States
- part of: Corn Belt = the midwestern states in the U.S. where corn is grown; middle west / Midwest / midwestern United States = the north central region of the United States; America / the States / U.S. / U.S.A. / United States / United States of America / US / USA = North American republic containing 50 states - 48 conterminous states in North America plus Alaska in northwest North America and the Hawaiian Islands in the Pacific Ocean
- Bloomington = a university town in south central Indiana
- Evansville = a city in southwestern Indiana on the Ohio River
- Fort Wayne = a city in northeastern Indiana
- Gary = a city in northwest Indiana on Lake Michigan
- capital of Indiana / Indianapolis = the capital and largest city of Indiana; a major commercial center in the country's heartland
- Lafayette = a university town in west central Indiana on the Wabash River
- Muncie = a town in east central Indiana
- South Bend = a city in northern Indiana
- Wabash River / Wabash = a tributary of the Ohio River that rises in western Ohio and flows southwestward across Indiana
Alternative definition of the noun in
- A position of power or a way to get it.
- antonym: out
- [context: in games] The state of a batter/batsman who is currently batting
Specialised definition of the noun in
Glossary of sports
in sports such as cricket and rounders, used for indicating that a sports team or player is batting (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the adjective in
What does in mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: inner |
- holding office
- example: the in party
- adjective position: predicative adjective (it occurs after a verb that follows the noun)
- similar: successful
- directed or bound inward
- examples: took the in bus | the in basket
- adjective position: attributive adjective (it occurs before the noun)
- similar: incoming
- currently fashionable
Alternative definition of the adjective in
- In fashion; popular.
Specialised definition of the adjective in
Glossary of sports / golf
descriptive of the second nine holes of the course, since the golfer is generally moving in toward the clubhouse when playing those holes
Glossary of sports / tennis
descriptive of a good shot that lands in the opponent's court
Definition of the adverb in
What does in mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
Alternative definition of the adverb in
- [context: not comparable] Located indoors, especially: at home or the office .
- Moving to the interior of a defined space, such as a building or room.
- [sports] Still eligible to play, e.g. able to bat in cricket and baseball.
- [UK] abbreviation of in aid of.
- After the beginning of something.
Other definitions of in
What does in also mean?
- Indiana, a state of the United States of America.
IN a.k.a. Indiana is a U.S. state located in the midwestern and Great Lakes regions of North America. Indiana is the 38th largest by area and the 16th most populous of the 50 United States. Indiana is the least extensive state in the contiguous United States west of the Appalachian Mountains. Its capital and largest city is Indianapolis. Indiana was admitted to the United States as the 19th U.S. state on December 11, 1816.
- read more about Indiana (state)
- In is a musical group.
- album: "Had To"
- In a.k.a. In. is a musical group.
- album: "Nowhere Here"
In a.k.a. MAT Macedonian Airlines: MAT-Macedonian Airlines was the national flag carrier airline of the Republic of Macedonia, based in Skopje. It operated scheduled services between Skopje and Ohrid and several destinations in Europe. Its main base was Skopje Airport.
- official website: www.mat.com.mk
- "In": The Outsiders In – also known as simply In or In! – is the third studio album by the Outsiders. It is the first album released by the band that did not make the Billboard charts.
- "In" a.k.a. "Kiss" is a composition.
- music by Daniel Bressanutti
- "In" is a musical single of Lois Andréa.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "In" is a musical album of Markus Mehr.
- released on
- "In" is a musical album of Agressiva 69.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "In" is a 2011 short thriller written by Jens Jonsson and directed by Adam Berg, based on the short story by Jerker Virdborg.
- country: Sweden
- language: Swedish Language
- producers: Magdalena Jangard & Kristina Wibom
- written by Jens Jonsson
- based on a story by Jerker Virdborg
- cinematography by Linus Sandgren
- edited by Joakim Pietras
- music by Martin Sköld, Joakim Berg
- genre: Thriller
- released in (5 years ago)
- "In" is a film directed by Peter McGennis released on April 29, 2005.
- IN a.k.a. The CD44 antigen is a cell-surface glycoprotein involved in cell–cell interactions, cell adhesion and migration. In humans, the CD44 antigen is encoded by the CD44 gene on Chromosome 11. CD44 has been referred to as HCAM, Pgp-1, Hermes antigen, lymphocyte homing receptor, ECM-III, and HUTCH-1.
- read more about CD44
- in: .in is the Internet country code top-level domain for India. The domain is operated by INRegistry under the authority of NIXI, the National Internet Exchange of India. INRegistry was appointed by the government of India.
- also known as .in
- official website: www.registry.in
- In a.k.a. Ir Language: Ta’Oi is a Katuic dialect chain of Salavan and Sekong provinces in Laos, and in Thừa Thiên-Huế province in Vietnam.
- read more about Ir Language
Scrabble value of I1N1
The value of this 2-letter word is 2 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of In to learn how to say it correctly!