The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb inclose:
On this page:
Definition of the verb inclose
What does inclose mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: inclosed | inclosing | incloses
- surround completely
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of inclose: close in / enclose / shut in
- more generic words: border / environ / ring / skirt / surround = extend on all sides of simultaneously
- more specific terms:
- insert / tuck = fit snugly into
- wall in / wall up = enclose with a wall
- embower / bower = enclose in a bower
- enshrine / shrine = enclose in a shrine
- encase / incase / case = enclose in, or as if in, a case
- swallow up / immerse / swallow / eat up / bury = enclose or envelop completely, as if by swallowing
- frame in / border / frame = enclose in or as if in a frame
- glass in / glass = enclose with glass
- bank = enclose with a bank
- dike / dyke = enclose with a dike
- encapsulate = enclose in a capsule or other small container
- fence in / fence = enclose with a fence
- cordon off / rope off / rope in = divide by means of a rope
- casket = enclose in a casket
- corral = enclose in a corral
- fortify / fort = enclose by or as if by a fortification
- hedge in / hedge = enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges
- place, fit, or thrust (something) into another thing
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of inclose: enclose / insert / introduce / put in / stick in
- more generic words: lay / place / pose / position / put / set = put into a certain place or abstract location
- more specific terms:
- plug = insert as a plug
- plug = insert a plug into
- plug = replace the center of a coin with a baser metal
- inoculate = introduce a microorganism into
- inset = set or place in
- glass = put in a glass container
- catheterise / catheterize = insert a catheter into
- cup = put into a cup
- intersperse / interlard = introduce one's writing or speech with certain expressions
- feed in / feed = introduce continuously
- slip = insert inconspicuously or quickly or quietly
- foist = insert surreptitiously or without warrant
- inject / shoot = force or drive (a fluid or gas) into by piercing
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for inclose
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Law Journal Reports (1893)
For the Year
That being so, the next argument of the defendants is that the foundation of the right of the lord to inclose is the consent of the persons affected by the inclosure, and that , ...
The British Encyclopedia (1809)
Or, Dictionary of Arts and Sciences. Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge by William Nicholson
face, and will completely inclose a space. In tiiis position of the cutting plane, the line of common section, unless when it is a circle, is called an ellipse. Def. 6. Fig. 13. If the line of common section M N, touch the periphery of the Use of the cone, ...
Wherein Difficult Words and Technical Terms, in All Faculties and Professions ... are Fully Explained ... by John Marchant, Gordon (lexicographer)
INCLOSE, or Ensics= [y] to shut up, surround, or funce in. INCLOSURE [S. 1 in Husbandry, the fence or hedge made to inclose lands. INCLUDE [V.] to contain, comprehend, inclose, shut, comprize. INCLUSIVE [A.] inclosing, comprehending ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for inclose
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about inclose
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Cam Switzer
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of I1N1C3L1O1S1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of INCLOSE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of inclose!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of inclose to find many related words and phrases!