The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun initiate:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb initiate:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun initiate
- Definition of the verb initiate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Initiate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Initiate
- Photos about Initiate
- Video language resources about Initiate
- Quotes about Initiate
- Scrabble value of I1N1I1T1I1A1T1E1
- Share this page
The word initiate and its family (initiated, initiates, initiating, initiation, initiations, initiative, initiatives, initiator, initiators) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun initiate
What does initiate mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: initiates
- someone new to a field or activity
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of initiate: beginner / novice / tiro / tyro
- more generic term: unskilled person = a person who lacks technical training
- more specific words:
- abecedarian = a novice learning the rudiments of some subject
- apprentice / prentice / learner = works for an expert to learn a trade
- greenhorn / rookie / cub = an awkward and inexperienced youth
- landlubber / landsman / lubber = an inexperienced sailor
- fledgeling / fledgling / freshman / neophyte / newcomer / entrant / starter / newbie = any new participant in some activity
- tenderfoot = an inexperienced person
- trainee = someone who is being trained
- someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field
- people who have been introduced to the mysteries of some field or activity
Alternative definition of the noun initiate
- A new member of an organization.
- One who has been through a ceremony of initiation.
Definition of the verb initiate
What does initiate mean as a doing word?
Initiate is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: initiated | initiating | initiates
- bring into being
- example: He initiated a new program
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Zellig Harris established Penn's linguistics department [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] by [Oblique] We initiated the campaign by soliciting donations [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] with [Instrument] I began the party with a speech | I opened the event with a speech
Aspectual Verbs (with the same syntax): arrange, bring about, devise, establish, fake, feign, format, found, implement, instigate, institute, introduce, launch, mount, open, open up, organize, originate, plant, prepare, simulate, strike up, synthesise.
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of initiate: originate / start
- more generic words: create / make = make or cause to be or to become
- more specific terms:
- take the lead or initiative in; participate in the development of
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonym of initiate: pioneer
- more generic words: cause / do / make = give rise to
- more specific terms:
- strike up = begin
- introduce / innovate = bring something new to an environment
- trigger off / spark off / touch off / activate / actuate / set off / trigger / spark / trip = put in motion or move to act
- constitute / establish / institute / found / plant = set up or lay the groundwork for
- arrange / stage = plan, organize, and carry out
- mount = put up or launch
- set about / undertake / attempt = enter upon an activity or enterprise
- machinate / organise / organize / prepare / devise / get up = arrange by systematic planning and united effort
- accept people into an exclusive society or group, usually with some rite
- bring up a topic for discussion
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of initiate: broach
- more generic terms: discuss / hash out / talk over = speak with others about (something); talk (something) over in detail
- more specific words: address / handle / cover / treat / deal / plow = act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression
- set in motion, start an event or prepare the way for
Alternative definition of the verb initiate
- To begin, to start, to introduce.
- "Initiate" is a musical album of The Nels Cline Singers.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Initiate" is the second solo album by the Northern Irish singer Mervyn Spence, once again released under the pseudonum "O'Ryan", in 1995.
- "Initiate" is a musical EP of Isolée.
- released in (17 years ago)
initiate is a fictional job title.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Initiate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Initiate 2 (2010)
Journal of Traditional Studies by David J. Wingfield
The Initiate is a journal which offers a forum to serious writing on traditionalism, spirituality and related topics, seeking to restore something of the lost wisdom of our ancestors to the modern world.
by Joshua David Stone, Janna Shelley Parker
the initiate is a conscious ...
Black Sun (2001)
Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism, and the Politics of Identity by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke
“Ourancient, White ancestors understood that to ensure our heritage and racial survival, expansion and advancement we must initiate means to galvanize our Folk Consciousness. Allegories and myths were developed along with a variety of ...
Darwin's Pharmacy (2011)
Sex, Plants, and the Evolution of the Noosphere by Richard M. Doyle
sian initiate is a tuning of visual perception away from its ordinarily sharp distinctions between self and other, allowing for a blending of viewer and viewed. What is “softened” is precisely the borders between observer and observed, with pillars ...
To initiate means to let someone share in a life, in this case, the life of the risen Christ. The risen life of Christ is a transformed and empowered life, since it is totally permeated with the Holy Spirit; it is the life of jesus glorified by the Father after ...
Manufacturing Processes by R. K. Rajput
To initiate means to determine variations during manufacture. 4. To provide means to discover inefficiency during manufacture. 24.1.3. Inspection Standards Inspection standards are ascertained by design department as per the requirement of ...
by Jane Johnson, Diagram Group
The initiate may be naked (d) and tethered, but not blindfolded. • The ceremony may involve the transfer of a ring (e), worn on the third finger of the right hand, a personal gift from the initiator to initiate. This ring symbolizes the transference of ...
by Eric Orlin
The word initiate is a general term for someone who has gone through a rite of passage or initiation ritual, a process that...
Words and Phrases. Being a Compilation of All Words, Phrases and Maxims which Have Been Defined, Construed, Interpreted Or Applied in Virginia and West Virginia Cases and in the Codes of Those States, Combined with a Digest of Virginia and West Virginia Cases and Principles of Law as Therein Applied by Fred P. Caldwell
Curtesy initiate. At common law the death of the wife was necessary to the estate by the curtesy. It is one of the four requisites. But upon the birth of a child, another anomalous estate was created, called tenancy by the curtesy initiate. It was the ...
by Khosrow-Pour, D.B.A., Mehdi
is responsible to self-initiate the business rule definition transaction (T01) and to initiate the business rule management transaction (T11). Similarly, the model manager (A02) is responsible to ...
Encyclopedia of Caves (2012)
by William B. White, David C. Culver
Initiate. Breakdown. Within the context of either the fixed-beam or Tharp model, any geologic process that lengthen the beams or convert fixed beams into cantilever beams can move the ceiling beds from stable to unstable configurations.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Initiate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Initiate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: cdrummbks
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Initiate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Initiate Meaning
Video shows what initiate means. A new member of an organization.. One who has been through a ceremony of initiation.. Initiate Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Essential Vocabulary: Initiate
"Initiate" is one of a series of words that should be used, when necessary, in the IELTS Writing and Speaking Exams. The correct use of vocabulary items in this ...
- Chalkboard lessons 1: Homeschoolers Vocabulary Lessons - This weeks word is initiate
This video was made to broaden children vocabulary by using synonyms. Chalkboard lessons 1: Homeschoolers Vocabulary Lessons - This weeks word is ...
- Light Language 'Initiate your Merkabah'
MP3 Download available...
- How dogs initiate play and control it with body language
This is a slow-mo video of one dog initiating play with another dog who is not too sure. Watch for the calming signals and ending look-aways from Rudy.
- EnglishHoosier ESL English Lesson: Initiate
- Pragya Prabhat-Body language/Thoughts of humanity/Initiate Clean surroundings
See also the pronunciation examples of Initiate!
Quotes about Initiate
Does not the very word 'creative' mean to build, to initiate, to give out, to act - rather than to be acted upon, to be subjective? Living photography is positive in its approach, it sings a song of life - not death. (Berenice Abbott)
more quotes about initiate...
Scrabble value of I1N1I1T1I1A1T1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Initiate to see it in context!